Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
Find and Replace in Excel (Table of Contents)
- Find and Replace in Excel
Find and Replace in Excel
When the spreadsheet or worksheet has many rows and columns finding the exact word or portion of the word manually take toll of us. Because of this reason we have an in-built tool called FIND option in excel. (Not only in excel, but you will also see this tool everywhere else).
In this article, I will be explaining the ways of using FIND and REPLACE tool in excel.
- Shortcut for Find in Excel is CTRL + F
- Shortcut for Find and Replace in Excel is CTRL + H
We can find any text, number symbol, the special character not only in the active sheet but in the entire workbook as well. It does not stop there itself we can find the particular word and REPLACE them with other words as well.
In this article, we will see the ways of using FIND and REPLACE in excel from basic to advanced level.
#1 – How to Use Find to Find Specific Word in Excel?
Ok, let me show you the basic find to find the specific word in the worksheet. I have two worksheets in an excel workbook one is Jan month region wise sales and another one is Feb month region wise sales.
In the Jan sheet, I want to find the name MITCHEL. In order to find the name firstly, I need to select the worksheet and press CTRL + F, it will open up the below dialogue box.
Now type the word you want to find in Find what: box.
Note: it is not a case sensitive find it will show you all the related finds.
Now press either enter or FIND NEXT, it will show you the first found MICHEL in this worksheet.
Now look actually I was searching for Mitchel but it has selected Daniel Mitchel for me. So FIND not necessarily looks for exact find word it will show the result even though it is associated with other words as well.
Now for sure, there are many MITCHEL in this worksheet. Instead of clicking on FIND NEXT click on FIND ALL, it will lists up all the matching results.
It will show you the Workbook Name, Worksheet Name, Cell, Value in the Cell, and Formula as well if any.
#2 – How to Find the Word in the Entire Workbook?
Whatever I have shown can fetch the word Mitchel from the active sheet only. If you want to find the word the from the entire workbook type the word click on Option.
It will expand the current find dialogue box, select WORKBOOK from Within drop down.
Now click on FIND ALL, it will show all the results.
#3 – How to Find the Exact Word in the Entire Workbook?
Now we know FIND will show all the matching results. If you want to find the exact match under options you need to select the option “Match Entire Cell Contents”.
Click on FIND ALL it will find the exact matches.
#4 – Combination of Find and Replace in Excel
Combination of FIND & REPLACE can do wonders and save tons of time on a daily basis. We can use this tool to change the formula reference.
Now, look at the below image. In the cell G3, I have applied the SUM formula to get the total salary.
The formula range is from B2 to B10 but my data has salary column from B2 to B22. Using FIND and REPLACE in Excel we can change the reference.
Copy the entire formula from G3 cell and Press CTRL + H. it will open up the below dialogue box paste the copies formula to Find what:
In Replace with: change the reference as =SUM (B2:B2).
Click on REPLACE, it will change the formula from =SUM (B2:B10) to =SUM (B2:B22) and the total salary will change.
We will look at another technique with the combination of Excel FIND and REPLACE. I have Product Code and price for each product in one sheet.
In the other sheet, I have Only Product code, using VLOOKUP I need to fetch the data to this sheet.
I cannot apply VLOOKUP here because in the main sheet I have product code as Prdct but in this sheet, I have the code as Pdc, so VLOOUP cannot fetch the data here.
Use FIND and REPLACE Excel option and change the word Pdc to Prdct.
Now click on REPLACE ALL it will replace the words Pdc to Prdct. Now we can apply the VLOOKUP formula.
#5 – FIND and REPLACE Format in Excel
We can not only Excel FIND and REPLACE words, numbers but we can find and replace formats excel as well. No look at the below data.
In the above image, the department Marketing marked in one color except the one in A4 cell. I want to change the color of remaining marketing color to the one in cell A4.
Step 1: Select the data range.
Step 2: Press CTRL + H and click on Options.
Step 3: Click on the first Format and select Chose format from the cell.
Step 4: Select the format you want to replace.
Step 5: Now click on the second Format and select the format you want to replace with.
Step 6: Click on REPLACE ALL. It will replace the format.
#6 – How to FIND Comments in Excel?
We have come to the final part of the article. We can find the comments as well. Follow below steps to find comments in excel.
I have comments in column D and comments are No commission, Commission @5%, and Commission @ 10%.
Step 1: Open Find dialogue box and click on Options
Step 2: Under Look in select Comments.
Step 3: Now mention what comment you are searching for.
Step 4: Click on Find All it will show all the cells which have a comment No commission.
Things to Remember about Find and Replace in Excel
- If you are searching in a large file it is good to select the particular row or column.
- If you are replacing something always select the replacing region.
- You can replace the existing format with your own format as well.
- If you are searching something which is not there then excel will show the dialogue box as we couldn’t find what you were looking for.
- You cannot replace if the worksheet is protected.
This has been a guide to Find and Replace in Excel. Here we discuss how to Find and Replace in Excel using Shortcut Keys along with practical examples and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –