Finance vs Lease

Difference Between Finance and Lease

The key difference between Finance and Lease is that in finance the customer pays off the price of the product by paying off monthly installments and if the customer fails then the lender takes away the product as the lender holds the lien on that product till payment of entire debts, whereas, in lease one has to pay monthly fixed rental for using the asset to the owner of such asset and asset is generally taken back by the owner after the expiration of lease term.

There are options for procuring high-value articles, depending on the financial liquidity available.

  • Financing is a process whereby one will buy the relatively high priced articles and is expected to pay back in the form of monthly payments. It is also known as ‘Hire Purchase Financing.’
  • Leasing is considered a process of borrowing whereby the leasing firm will purchase on behalf of the customer. Finance or lease are then allowed to use the product/commodity against a monthly rent amount for a fixed term as agreed upon in the contract entered by Finance and Lease parties.

You are free to use this image on your website, templates etc, Please provide us with an attribution linkHow to Provide Attribution?Article Link to be Hyperlinked
For eg:
Source: Finance vs Lease (


We can consider an example of finance vs. LeaseLeaseLeasing is an arrangement in which the asset's right is transferred to another person without transferring the ownership. In simple terms, it means giving the asset on hire or rent. The person who gives the asset is “Lessor,” the person who takes the asset on rent is “Lessee.”read more for clarity.

Say if a car is costing $25,000, then in case of Financing, one has to pay the amount fully or in equal installments. However, in the case of a lease, one is required to pay only what the car’s expected worth is by the time the lease is done.

So, if the vehicle’s residual valueResidual ValueResidual value is the estimated scrap value of an asset at the end of its lease or useful life, also known as the salvage value. It represents the amount of value the owner will obtain or expect to get eventually when the asset is more is expected to be 60% in three years, then are only required to pay off the remaining 40%, which in this case would be $10,000. The lessee can purchase the asset once the lease period has been completed, and relevant calculations for the balance payment are made.

Finance vs Lease Infographics


You are free to use this image on your website, templates etc, Please provide us with an attribution linkHow to Provide Attribution?Article Link to be Hyperlinked
For eg:
Source: Finance vs Lease (

Key Differences

Finance vs. Lease Comparative Table

Basis of ComparisonFinancingLeasing
MeaningOne may either loan money/use the internal accruals.Somebody else purchases articles and allows the customer to use it.
OwnershipThe customer is the owner.The dealer/Leasing firm is the owner of the product/commodity.
Down PaymentA portion of the amount can be paid to reduce monthly payments.No significant down payments
Type of ExpenditureCapital ExpenditureCapital ExpenditureCapex or Capital Expenditure is the expense of the company's total purchases of assets during a given period determined by adding the net increase in factory, property, equipment, and depreciation expense during a fiscal moreOperating Expense
DurationShorter duration around 3-5 yearsThe longer duration can go as long as 10-15 years or more.
DepreciationHirer claims the depreciation.LessorLessorA lessor is an individual who legally owns the asset granted on a lease (rented for a long tenure) to the lessee who pays a single lump sum amount or regular payments for using that more claims depreciation.
ExamplesHouse, Land, Personal CarComputers, Technological products, Commercial estate

Final Thoughts

The selection of finance or lease as a mode of payment depends on the ability of the borrower and the end result of the commodityCommodityA commodity refers to a good convertible into another product or service of more value through trade and commerce activities. It serves as an input or raw material for the manufacturing and production more for which either method is getting considered.

They are the aspects that have to be considered before arriving at a decision, and one should keep in mind the pros and cons as well. In either case, there is no thumb rule for a specific method to be adopted, and the idea can be different from one individual to another.

Finance vs. Lease Video

Recommended Articles

This article has been a guide to finance vs. Lease. Here we discuss the top differences between finance and lease along with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles –

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *