Lines in excel are used to shown connections between two or more data points, and also we can draw lines without having shown any types of connections in excel, to draw a line in excel we need to go to the insert tab and then click on shapes and then we can choose the type of line we want to draw in excel.
Excel Draw Line (Table of Contents)
Draw and Insert a Line in Excel
Earlier back in days, if we needed to draw a certain shape in a document, it was done by a drawing program. The program was separate from the software itself. In this way, the software was dependent on the drawing program if there need to be any connections drawn out.
But now, in Microsoft Excel, it is easier to draw shapes of any size or desire. We can draw a circle, a line, a rectangle, or any shape we want.
How to Insert/Draw a Line in Excel?
Excel has provided us with the tools required to insert a line or shape or draw a shape in it, rather than depending upon any other third program. It has its own variety of shapes which can be used as the situation requires.
One of the shapes is Line. The line is a collection of points that extends in both directions, and it can be used to form certain shapes such as square or rectangle, or it can just be a straight line that has an infinite ending to its both ends.
The main question arises how do we draw a line in excel?
If we Go to the Insert tab and in the illustrations section, we will find an option for space,
If we click on shapes, it gives us a variety of shapes to choose from. One of the variety is the line.
Now in the option of the line itself, we have various types of line options to choose like,
- Double Arrow
- Elbow Connector
- Elbow Arrow Connector
- Elbow Double Arrow Connector
- Curved Connector
- Curved Arrow Connector
- Curved Double Arrow Connector
All of these forms of lines are used as a connector in excel. It is either used to show the relationship or the dependency or the connection in excel. For example, suppose we have various cells with data but which cells refer to which data can be recognized by Inserting Line Shape in Excel.
How to Draw a Line in Excel?
To Draw a line in excel, follow these steps:
- In the Insert tab under illustrations, click on shapes.
- When the dialog box appears to go to the line section,
- Select any type of line from the various given options to draw a connection.
This is how we use the Elbow arrow connector in Line.
Let us learn how to draw a line in excel by a few examples:
Insert Line in Excel Example #1
Suppose we have a chart for data, and we can see that there is a dip in sales for a company. Rather than going through the whole data and analyzing the issue for a viewer, the chart author can simply add text to show the reason for the spike and draw a line in excel to indicate the same.
Have a look at the chart below,
By having a look at the chart, we can see that sales were dipped in the month of March but why we don’t know.
- Insert a text box and write the text for the dip in sales, then we will insert a line to indicate the reason.
- Write the text in the text box.
- Now in the Insert tab under illustrations, click on shapes,
- A dialog box pops up for different kind of shapes, select line menu,
- In the Line options, we can see the option for Line shape, which is the first one,
- Right-click on the mouse and start stretching the line to the extent we want it and release the mouse.
- Now in the shape outline options, click on weight,
- A dialog box pops up with the various weights or the dimensions for the line; select any one suitable like 3 points.
- We have successfully drawn a line for the chart to indicate a connection.
Insert Line in Excel Example #2
Suppose we have an illustration such as below somewhere in our data, and we want to show a relation between them,
We will use the Elbow arrow connector in line to show that the main is related to both sub 1 and sub2.
Step #1 – In the Illustrations under the insert, tab, click on Shapes.
Step #2 – Again, as before, a dialog box will come for the various shapes to choose,
Step #3 – This time, we will choose the Elbow Arrow connector, which is located in the fifth position from the start.
Step #4 – Now we know that we need to show a relation between main and the two subs, right-click on the mouse from the main and release the mouse when we drag it to the sub 1 end.
Step #5 – This is the first connection; now again, go to the Insert tab and, in illustrations, click on shapes.
Step #6 – Then, in Line, click on Elbow Arrow connector.
Step #7 – Again, start from main by right click and release the click in the sub 2’s end.
Explanation of Draw Lines in Excel
Lines in Excel are inserted to show connections between two points.
It can also be used to draw shapes if it is used in freeform. Draw line in excel acts as a connector as in the above example; it showed the connection between Main and the other two Subs.
Things to Remember
- Lines should start at one point and end at another point.
- To start inserting a line in excel, right-click on the mouse and stretch the line and release the click when we want to end the line.
This has been a guide to Draw Line in Excel. Here we discuss how to Insert / Draw a Line in Excel along with practical examples and a downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –