How to Remove Watermark in Excel Sheet?
Once you have learned how the watermark is added to the file, we have the following ways that can be used to remove a watermark from every excel sheet of the workbook in Excel:
- Remove Watermark by Deleting Background in Excel
- Remove Watermark with ‘Header & Footer’ function in Excel
- Remove Watermark with ‘Go to Special’ function in Excel
In the below examples, we will show how to remove different kinds of Watermarks in MS Excel:
#1 – Remove Watermark by Deleting Background
If the watermark is an image that repeats many times on each page, then that watermark is added as a background. It can be deleted in the following way:
In this case, there is a sheet background applied to the worksheet. The sheet background can be removed as follows:
- Click on the ‘Page Layout’ tab and select ‘Delete Background’ in the Page Setup sectionPage Setup SectionTo set up a page in MS excel, in the page layout tab, click on the small arrow mark under the page setup group> A dialogue box will open, click on "fit to 1 page" option>go to print preview option and choose landscape mode>save changes, it's done. , and the watermark will be removed.
- Now, on deleting the background, we see as below that the watermark gets deleted. Compare the below screenshot with the screenshot above, and we will see that the watermark sign is gone from the background.
#2 – Remove Watermark with ‘Header & Footer’ Function
If the watermark is an image that repeats on every page, but only once on each page, then, in this case, that watermark is inserted as ‘Header & Footer’ in Excel. A Header & Footer image can be removed as follows:
Below are the steps to remove watermark with header and footer function –
- Click on the ‘Page Layout’ view by clicking on ‘View’ and select ‘Page Layout.’
- Then click on the ‘Insert’ tab and select ‘Header u0026 Footer’ in the Text section
- Now delete the ‘u0026[Picture]’ text that appears in the Header u0026 Footer’ section. Then click anywhere else on the spreadsheet, and the watermark will be gone.
- Now, on deleting the’u0026[Picture],’ we see as below that the watermark gets deleted.
- Click anywhere else on the spreadsheet to see that the watermark has been removed.
Note: We might have to click in each section of ‘Header u0026 Footer’ to view the text, as it can be hidden by large images.
#3 – Remove Watermark with ‘Go to Special’ Function
If we have a watermark that is a WordArt object, then it can be removed as follows:
In this case, we can use the ‘Go-To Special’ function to find the WordArt (object) and then press the ‘Delete’ button to remove the watermark.
- To view the watermark, click on the ‘Page Layout’ view by clicking on ‘View’ then select ‘Page Layout.’
- Now go to “Home” and click “Find & Select” and select “Go to Special.”
- A ‘’Go To Special’ dialog box appears
- Checkmark the ‘Objects’ option and then click ‘OK.’
- We see that the WordArt watermark has been selected
- Now press the ‘Delete’ button to remove this selected watermark and click anywhere else on the spreadsheet to see that the watermark has been removed.
Note: With this method, other objects like pictures and shapes will also be removed. So it should be used with caution. When creating Word Art Watermarks, one should use semi-transparent colors and use a light gray fill for the art.
Things to Remember
Watermarks are used for informational purposes and are not always recommended to be removed. It is best to not remove the watermarks if they indicate that the document is confidential or a draft copy or for internal organization purposes.
MS Excel does not have the ability to create or print watermarks. But, it does have a background feature to show a graphic or text that will appear behind the worksheet. This will not appear either on the Print Preview or printed excel sheets.
- In Excel 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, or 2019, up to three headers can be added. These headers that become visible in ‘Page Layout’ or ‘Print Preview’ views can behave like the watermark in spreadsheets.
- Watermarks could be inserted as a text or picture in MS Excel.
Usually, headers & footers contain basic information about spreadsheet-like page numbers, file path, etc but MS Excel provides more predefined options of headers & footers to choose from and even allows to create own ones. With these, we can make our documents look more informative, professional, and stylish. Headers & Footers are not visible in normal worksheet view and are displayed only on printed pages: In Page Layout view and Print Preview in excelPrint Preview In ExcelPrint preview in Excel is a tool used to represent the print output of the current page in the excel to see if any adjustments need to be made in the final production. Print preview only displays the document on the screen, and it does not print..
While using the watermarks as Word Art, just like in Example 3 above, the other objects like pictures and shapes will also be removed. So this option should be used with caution and only when mandatory.
Some watermarks are available separately in Page Break in Excel. To exit this, we can use the View tab at the top of the window, then clicking the Normal option in the Workbook Views section. This option is used with Page Break only during taking a print out of the sheets with watermark because, in the normal view, the header and footers are not visible. They are visible only in Print Preview or Page Layout view. Watermarks can also be repositioned and replaced.
Excel watermarks do not support the process of pasting a block of text from Microsoft Word or notepad as a text watermark. The text for the watermark can be created in a custom graphic in a standard picture file format like a PNG, JPG, or BMP, and then it can be imported into the Excel worksheet header. Microsoft Paint is a preferred and commonly used graphics program.
Some basic graphics settings for watermarks can also be edited, consisting of vertical centering for the watermark on the page, setting brightness and contrast, and even scaling or sizing the watermark on the worksheet page. These settings are not applicable to watermarks that are applied as a background.
This has been a guide to Remove Watermark in Excel. Here we discuss how to Remove Watermark in Excel by 1) deleting background 2) header & footer 3) Goto Special function along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –