How to Insert a Picture/Image in Excel Cell?
Inserting a picture or an image to an excel cell is a very easy task.
- I have sales employees names in the excel file, and below is the list.
- I have their images in my computer hard disk.
I want to bring the image against each person’s name, respectively.
Note: All the images are dummy; you can download them from google directly.
- Copy the above list of names and paste it in excel. Make the row height as 36 and column width in excelColumn Width In ExcelA user can set the width of a column in an excel worksheet between 0 and 255, where one character width equals one unit. The column width for a new excel sheet is 8.43 characters, which is equal to 64 pixels. as 14.3.
- Go to the INSERT tab and click on PICTURES.
- Once you click on PICTURES, it asks you to choose the picture folder location from your computer. Select the location and choose the pictures you want to insert.
- You can insert a picture one by one in an excel cell, or you can insert it in one shot as well. In order to insert at one go, you need to be sure which represents who. I am going to insert one by one. Select the image you want to insert and click on INSERT.
- Now, you can see the image in your excel file.
- Step 6: This picture is not yet ready to use as of now. We need to resize this. Select the picture and resize using drag and drop option in excel from the corner edges of the image, or you can resize the height and width under the Format tab.
Note: Modify the row height as 118 and column width as 26.
- In order to fit the picture to the cell size, hold the ALT key, and drag the picture corners, it will automatically fit the cell size.
- Like this repeat, this task for all the employees.
Change Image Size According to Cell Size in Excel
Now we need to fit these images to the cell size. Whenever the cell width or height changes picture also should change accordingly.
- Step 1: Select one image and press Ctrl + A; it will select all the images in the active worksheet. (Make sure all the images are selected)
- Step 2: Press Ctrl + 1; it will open up the format option on the right-hand side of your screen. Note: I am using excel 2016 version.
- Step 3: Under Format Picture, select Size & Properties.
- Step 4: Click on Properties and select the option Move and size with cells.
- Step 5: Now, we have locked the images to their respective cell size. It is dynamic now; as the cell changes, images are also kept changing.
How to Create an Excel Dashboard with Images?
We can create a dashboard using these pictures. Follow the below steps to create an excel dashboardExcel DashboardThe Excel Dashboard is an enhanced form of data visualization that helps managers plan and achieve business targets and facilitates decision-making. Users can apply excel table and charts, pivot table and charts, interactive controls, excel formulas, etc., to create excel dashboards..
I have created a master sheet which contains all the details of the employees.
- Step 1: In the dashboard, the sheet creates a drop-down list of employee’s lists.
- Step 2: Apply VLOOKUP to get the Sales Value, Target, Efficiency Level, DOB, and DOJ from the Employee Details Sheet.
As you change the name from the drop-down, the values will be automatically updated.
- Step 3: Now, the big part is we need to get the photo of the employee whoever selected from the drop-down. For this, we need to create a name manager.
Go to FORMULAS > Define Name in excel.
- Step 4: Give Name to your Name Manager.
- Step 5: In refers to type Equal (=) sign and enter the INDEX formula.
- Step 6: The first argument of the INDEX function is to select the entire B column in Image Sheet.
- Step 7: Now enter comma (,) and open one more function MATCH.
- Step 8: Select the first argument as Employee Name in the Dashboard Sheet. (Drop Down cell).
- Step 9: Next argument select the entire first column in Image Sheet, enter zero as the next argument, and close two brackets.
- Step 10: Click on, OK. We have created a name manager for our photos.
- Step 11: Now go to Image Sheet and copy the cell B2.
- Step 12: Now go to Dashboard Sheet and paste as linked IMAGE.
- Step 13: Now, we have an image. Select the image, in the formula, change the link to our Name Manager name, i.e., Photos
- Step 14: Hit Enter to complete the process. You can change the image; it will change according to the name you have selected.
Things to Remember
- Make the image adjustment that fits or changes the cell movement.
- In order to create a dashboard, create a master sheet that can contain all the consolidated data.
- Use the ALT key to adjust the image to the extreme corners of the cell.
This has been a guide to Insert a Picture/Image in Excel Cell. Here we discussed how to insert a picture or an image into a cell in Excel, create a dashboard with images in excel with example and downloadable excel sheet. You can learn more about excel from the following articles –