Investment Banking Tutorials
- Investment Banking Free Course
- Investment Banking Basics
- What is Investment Banking? (Overview of what do they actually do!)
- Investment Banking vs Commercial Banking
- Equity Research in an Investment Bank
- What is Asset Management Company AMC
- Sales and Trading in Investment Banking
- Private Placement, IPO and FPO in Investment Banking
- Investment Banking – Underwriters and Market Makers
- Investment Banking – Mergers and Acquisitions
- Investment Banking – Restructuring and Reorganisation
- Investment Banking Roles and Responsibilities
- Market Makers
- Propreitary Trading
- Top 4 Must Know Investment Banking Charts (Free Download Template included)
- Pitch Book | Guide to Investment Banking Pitch Book (Examples)
- Leverage buyout Lbo Analysis
- Trading Floor
- Market Order vs Limit Order
- Merchant Bank
- Best Investment Banking Books
- Nasdaq vs Dow Jones
- Nasdaq vs Nyse
- Investment Banking Careers
- Investment Banking Interview Questions (with Answers)
- How to get into Investment Banking?
- Investment Banking Job Description
- Investment Banking Associate Salary
- Investment Banking Job For Graduates (Engineers) | Top 8 Tips
- How to get an Investment Banking Internship?
- Top 10 Finance Certifications Programs
- Investment Banking Lifestyle
- Investment Banking Exit Opportunities
- Investment Banking Case Studies
- Top 10 Best Finance courses (with Online Certification)
- Investor Relation Job Description
- Financial Analyst Job Description
- Investment Banking vs Equity Research
- Investment Banking vs Asset Management
- Commercial Banking vs Merchant Banking
- Investment Banking vs Corporate Banking
- Portfolio Management vs Investment Banking
- Investment Banking vs Hedge Fund Manager
- Investment Banking vs Investment Management
- Investment Banking vs Private Equity
- Careers in Trading
- Investment Banking Firms
- Top Bulge Bracket Investment Banks
- Top Middle Market Investment Banks
- Top Boutique Investment Banks
- Investment Banking in Dubai
- Investment Banking in Hong Kong
- Investment Banking in Russia
- Investment Banking in Brazil
- Investment Banking in China
- Investment Banking in Australia
- Investment Banking in Saudi Arabia
- Investment Banking in Singapore
- Investment Banking in London (UK)
- Investment Banking in India
- Investment Banking in Ireland
- Investment Banking in South Africa
- Investment Banking in Canada
- Investment Banking in Germany
- Investment Banking in France
- Top Banks
- Top Banks In Austria
- Top Banks In Bahrain
- Top Banks In Belgium
- Top Banks In Bermuda
- Top Banks In British Virgin Islands
- Top Banks In Brunei
- Top Banks In Canada
- Top Banks In Cayman Islands
- Top Banks In Denmark
- Top Banks In Finland
- Top Banks In France
- Top Banks In Germany
- Top Banks In Greenland
- Top Banks In Guernsey
- Top Banks In Ireland
- Top Banks In Isle of Man
- Top Banks In Japan
- Top Banks In Kuwait
- Top Banks In Liechtenstein
- Top Banks In Luxembourg
- Top Banks In Macau
- Top Banks In Norway
- Top Banks In Oman
- Top Banks In Puerto Rico
- Top Banks In Qatar
- Top Banks In Saudi Arabia
- Top Banks In Singapore
- Top Banks In South Korea
- Top Banks In Sweden
- Top Banks In Switzerland
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- What is Mergers and Acquisitions?
- Mergers vs Acquisitions
- Synergy in M&A
- Successful Mergers and Acquisitions
- Financing Acquisitions
- Statutory Merger
- Joint Venture
- White Knight
- Hostile Takeover
- Golden Parachute
- Poison Pills
- What is Amalgamation?
- Spin off vs Split Off
- Forward Integration
- Backward Integration
- Best Mergers and Acquisitions Books
- What is Asset Restructuring?
Overview of Banks in Puerto Rico
According to the report of Moody’s Investors Services, we can clearly tell that the approach of Puerto Rico’s banking system has stabilised from being negative earlier.
It happened because few banks have improved their reserves, capitalization, and core funding. And others have improved their financial buffers amid the economic recession that Puerto Rico has been suffering from since the year 2004.
As per Moody, it’s expected that the effect of recession would get reduced in the year 2017 and 2018 which will allow few banks to absorb credit losses. It is believed because the banks Moody’s Investors Services has rated have improved their funding and liquidity over the years.
Structure of Banks in Puerto Rico
The most important thing about Puerto Rico’s banking system is that it is part of the US banking system; however, there are few exceptions in regards to tax laws.
The whole financial sector of Puerto Rico is being controlled and regulated by the Office of the Commissioner of Financial Institutions of Puerto Rico.
The purpose of the authority is to ensure safety and security of the financial sector and also so that the banks and other financial institutions adhere to the laws, rules, and regulations of the territory.
Top banks in Puerto Rico
Let’s look at the top 10 banks of Puerto Rico –
This top bank in Puerto Rico was established in the year 1948, around 69 years ago. It is a subsidiary of First Bancorp. Its head-quarter is located in San Juan. In the year 2016, the total assets acquired by FirstBank were US $12 billion and in the same year, the net profit of the bank was US $93 million. It was previously known as First Federal Savings Bank and it has changed its name to what it is right now in November, 1994. The focus of this bank is on retail banking, corporate banking, and commercial banking.
#2. Banco Popular:
This top bank in Puerto Rico was founded in the year 1893, around 124 years ago. Its head-quarter is located in Hato Rey. In the year 2016, the total assets acquired by this bank were US $38 billion and in the same year, the net profit of the bank was US $358 million. It manages around 171 branches and 635 ATMs in Puerto Rico as of 31st December, 2016. The focus of this bank is on retail banking and commercial banking.
#3. Oriental Financial Group:
It was established in the year 1964, around 53 years ago. Its head-quarter is located in San Juan. In the year 2016, the total assets acquired by this group were US $6.5 billion and in the same year, the net profit of the group was US $45 million. This group offers a whole gamut of financial services across Puerto Rico. It has four subsidiaries – Oriental Bank, Oriental Insurance Inc., Caribbean Pension Consultants Inc. (CPC), and Oriental Financial Services Corp.
#4. Scotiabank of Puerto Rico:
This top bank in Puerto Rico was founded in the year 1910, around 107 years ago. Its head-quarter is located in Hato Rey. Scotiabank is one of the largest banks in Puerto Rico. In the year 2016, the total assets acquired by this bank were US $896 billion and in the same year, the net profit of the bank was US $7368 million. It acts as the subsidiary of The Bank of Nova Scotia, Canada. The focus of this bank is on commercial banking, foreign currency exchange service, and corporate financing.
#5. Banco Santander:
It was established in the year 1976, around 41 years ago. It is a subsidiary of Santander Bancorp. Its head-quarter is located in San Juan. In the year 2016, the total assets acquired by the bank were US $5 billion and in the same year, the net profit of the bank was US $15 million. It was previously known as Banco De Santander-Puerto Rico and it has changed its name to what it is right now in November, 1989. The focus of this bank is on personal and commercial banking.
#6. Caribe Federal Credit Union:
This top bank in Puerto Rico was founded in the year 1951, around 66 years ago. Caribe Federal Credit Union is one of the most prominent non-profit financial organizations in Puerto Rico. It was organized under Federal Credit Union act for the purpose of serving Federal employees in Puerto Rico. In the year 2016, the total assets acquired by the bank were US $336 million and in the same year, the net profit of the bank was US $2 million.
#7. Citibank NA (Puerto Rico):
It is one of the oldest foreign banks in Puerto Rico. It was established in the year 1918, around 99 years ago. Its head-quarter is located in Hato Rey. It is the subsidiary of Citibank National Association. Citibank NA is the first North American bank to be established. The focus of Citibank NA (Puerto Rico) is to provide foundation building investments and to offer sophisticated financial products to the locals.
#8. FEMBi Mortgage:
It was established in the year 1997, around 20 years ago. Its head-quarter is located in San Juan. FEMBi Mortgage offers a wide range of mortgage services in Puerto Rico and throughout South Florida. FEMBi has a strong 125 people team who provide customized services to the local customers. Their strength is multiple financing options like standard conventional loans, VA loans, FHA loans etc. and they also offer quick turnarounds.
#9. Pentagon Federal Credit Union:
This is one of most significant credit unions in the United States. It has presence over 50 locations and Puerto Rico is one of the locations where Pentagon Federal Credit Union has a branch. As per the last report in 2017, the total assets acquired by Pentagon Federal Credit Union were US $23 billion. In the same year, the number of members was 1.6 million. It was founded in the year 1935. It serves air force, army, coast guard, department of homeland security etc.
#10. JetStream Federal Credit Union:
This is also another credit union which is non-for-profit. Its head-quarter is situated in San Juan, Puerto Rico. In the year 2016, the total assets acquired by the bank were US $187 million and in the same year, the net profit of the bank was US $2.5 million. It provides a whole gamut of services to its members. The membership is open to anyone who lives and works in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
We hope you liked this guide to top banks in Puerto Rico. If you are looking forward to making a career in Banking, then you can checkout some of the awesome resources –
- Largest Banks in Philippines
- Largest Banks in Australia
- Largest Banks in Luxembourg
- Largest Banks in Greenland
- Largest Banks in Brunei
- Largest Banks in Singapore
- Largest Banks in Qatar
- List of Banks in Finland
- List of Banks in Japan
- List of Banks in Oman
- List of Banks in Kuwait
- List of Banks in Saudi Arabia
- List of Bermuda Banks