Investment Banking Tutorials
- Investment Banking Free Course
- Investment Banking Basics
- What is Investment Banking? (Overview of what do they actually do!)
- Investment Banking vs Commercial Banking
- Equity Research in an Investment Bank
- What is Asset Management Company AMC
- Sales and Trading in Investment Banking
- Private Placement, IPO and FPO in Investment Banking
- Investment Banking – Underwriters and Market Makers
- Investment Banking – Mergers and Acquisitions
- Investment Banking – Restructuring and Reorganisation
- Investment Banking Roles and Responsibilities
- Market Makers
- Propreitary Trading
- Top 4 Must Know Investment Banking Charts (Free Download Template included)
- Pitch Book | Guide to Investment Banking Pitch Book (Examples)
- Leverage buyout Lbo Analysis
- Trading Floor
- Market Order vs Limit Order
- Merchant Bank
- Best Investment Banking Books
- Nasdaq vs Dow Jones
- Nasdaq vs Nyse
- Investment Banking Careers
- Investment Banking Interview Questions (with Answers)
- How to get into Investment Banking?
- Investment Banking Job Description
- Investment Banking Associate Salary
- Investment Banking Job For Graduates (Engineers) | Top 8 Tips
- How to get an Investment Banking Internship?
- Top 10 Finance Certifications Programs
- Investment Banking Lifestyle
- Investment Banking Exit Opportunities
- Investment Banking Case Studies
- Top 10 Best Finance courses (with Online Certification)
- Investor Relation Job Description
- Financial Analyst Job Description
- Investment Banking vs Equity Research
- Investment Banking vs Asset Management
- Commercial Banking vs Merchant Banking
- Investment Banking vs Corporate Banking
- Portfolio Management vs Investment Banking
- Investment Banking vs Hedge Fund Manager
- Investment Banking vs Investment Management
- Investment Banking vs Private Equity
- Careers in Trading
- Investment Banking Firms
- Top Bulge Bracket Investment Banks
- Top Middle Market Investment Banks
- Top Boutique Investment Banks
- Investment Banking in Dubai
- Investment Banking in Hong Kong
- Investment Banking in Russia
- Investment Banking in Brazil
- Investment Banking in China
- Investment Banking in Australia
- Investment Banking in Saudi Arabia
- Investment Banking in Singapore
- Investment Banking in London (UK)
- Investment Banking in India
- Investment Banking in Ireland
- Investment Banking in South Africa
- Investment Banking in Canada
- Investment Banking in Germany
- Investment Banking in France
- Investment Banking in Malaysia
- Investment Banking in Philippines
- Investment Banking in Boston
- Investment Banking in San Francisco
- Top Banks
- Top Banks in Australia
- Top Banks In Austria
- Top Banks In Bahrain
- Top Banks In Belgium
- Top Banks In Bermuda
- Top Banks In British Virgin Islands
- Top Banks In Brunei
- Top Banks In Canada
- Top Banks In Cayman Islands
- Top Banks In Denmark
- Top Banks In Finland
- Top Banks In France
- Top Banks In Germany
- Top Banks In Greenland
- Top Banks In Guernsey
- Top Banks In Ireland
- Top Banks In Isle of Man
- Top Banks In Japan
- Top Banks In Kuwait
- Top Banks In Liechtenstein
- Top Banks In Luxembourg
- Top Banks In Macau
- Top Banks In Norway
- Top Banks In Oman
- Top Banks in Pakistan
- Top Banks in Philippines
- Top Banks In Puerto Rico
- Top Banks In Qatar
- Top Banks In Saudi Arabia
- Top Banks In Singapore
- Top Banks In South Korea
- Top Banks In Sweden
- Top Banks In Switzerland
- Top Banks in UAE
- Top Banks in United Kingdom
- Top Banks in USA
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- What is Mergers and Acquisitions?
- Mergers vs Acquisitions
- Synergy in M&A
- Successful Mergers and Acquisitions
- Financing Acquisitions
- Statutory Merger
- Joint Venture
- White Knight
- Hostile Takeover
- Golden Parachute
- Poison Pills
- What is Amalgamation?
- Spin off vs Split Off
- Forward Integration
- Backward Integration
- Best Mergers and Acquisitions Books
- What is Asset Restructuring?
Overview of banks in Canada
Even if Canada has multiple banks, due to the decline of Government’s support and aid, the banking system undergoes a critical scenario. As per Moody’s Investors Service, the approach of Canadian banks remain negative in 2017 as well.
If we investigate the stance of Government in regards to the banking system in Canada, we would see that there is a huge mortgage debt (which has doubled in the last 10 years) that created reasonable rise in the unemployment and in the interest rate.
Even if there’s a tepid economic growth in Canada, the Canadian banks are performing quite well. These highly rated banks are also compared with the best banks in the world.
Structure of banks in Canada
The Canadian banking system is robust (irrespective of lesser Government’s support) and we can classify the financial companies in Canada into five broad categories –
- Chartered Banks
- The Cooperative Credit Movement
- Life Insurance Companies
- Trust and Loan Companies
- Security Dealers
As per the last data (as on August, 2017), it was found that there are 29 domestic banks in Canada. There are also 24 foreign banks that are subsidiaries. Other than that, 27 foreign bank branches and 3 foreign bank lending branches offer full gamut of respective banking services.
Around C $4.6 trillion of assets are managed by the financial institutions in Canada. 70% of these assets are managed by the banks. And 90% of the banking assets are controlled by the top six banks in Canada.
Top 10 banks in Canada
As per the last report on 31st July, 2017, here is a list of top 10 banks in Canada ranked by the total assets controlled –
#1. Toronto-Dominion Bank:
As per the report of 31st July, 2017, this is the largest (top-most) bank Canada with controlling assets. Toronto-Dominion Bank controls around C$1.202 trillion of assets. The net income of this bank as in the year 2014 was C$7.7 billion and the revenue in the same year was C$29.9 billion. This bank was founded in the year 1955 and its head-quarter is in Toronto-Dominion Centre, Toronto, Ontario. This is one of the largest banks in Canada and it was ranked 66th in 2015 on Forbes Global 2000.
#2. Royal Bank of Canada:
Royal Bank of Canada is the second largest in terms of controlling total banking assets in Canada. It handles total assets of around C$1.201 trillion. In the year 2016, Royal Bank of Canada has earned a net income of US$8.35 billion and revenue of US$35.28 billion. Royal Bank of Canada has employed 78,000 people. This bank is one of the oldest banks of Canada and was established in the year 1864. The head-quarter is situated in Toronto, Ontario.
#3. Bank of Nova Scotia:
This is the third largest bank in Cananda in terms of controlling total assets. Bank of Nova Scotia handles around C$906.332 billion. It has employed around 89,214 employees as per the data of 2015. In the year 2016, it has generated a net income of C$7.413 billion. The revenue in the same year was C$26.049 billion. This bank is pretty old. It was established in the year 1832 in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The head-quarter is situated in Toronto, Ontario.
#4. Bank of Montreal:
The fourth largest bank of Canada, in terms of total assets acquired, is Bank of Montreal. It handles around C$708.617 billion of total assets. Bank of Montreal has generated revenue of US$19.188 billion in the year 2016. In the same year, the net income of Bank of Montreal was US$3.455 billion. It has employed around 45,234 employees. It is one of oldest banks in Canada. It was established in 1817, more than 200 years ago. Its head-quarter is situated in Montreal, Quebec.
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce is the fifth in terms of total assets acquired in Canada. As per the last report, this bank has acquired total assets of C$560.912 billion. In the year 2016, it has generated revenue of C$15 billion. In the same year, after paying off all the expenses it produced net profit of C$4.3 billion. 43,213 employees work in here. It was established on 1st June, 1961. The head-quarter of CIBC is in Commerce Court, Toronto, Ontario.
#6. Desjardins Group:
Desjardins group isn’t a bank, but the largest associations of credit unions in North America. It was established in the year 1900 in Levis, Quebec and the head-quarter of this group is situated in the same place. This financial institution provides a gamut of services like checking accounts, stock broking, insurance, asset finance, investment banking, consumer finance etc. Around 47,655 people work here. Desjardin group is also a member of Interact and issues MasterCard and Visa credit cards. Total assets acquired by this group are C$271.983.
#7. National Bank of Canada:
In terms of total assets acquired, this bank in Canada has taken the seventh spot. The total assets acquired by National Bank of Canada are C$240.072 billion. In the year 2016, it has generated revenue of C$5840 million and net profit of C$1256 million. As per the last report on 31st October, 2016, it has been found that 21,770 people work in National Bank of Canada. It was established in the year 1859. The head-quarter of National Bank of Canada is situated in Montreal, Quebec.
#8. HSBC Bank Canada:
On the eight position, in terms of total assets acquired, HSBC Bank Canada has secured its spot. The total assets acquired by HSBC Bank Canada are C$95.810 billion. As you can understand, HSBC Bank Canada is a foreign subsidiary of HSBC Bank. It was founded in the year 1981 and since then it has been serving the customers of Canada. 6000 people work in HSBC Bank Canada. The head-quarter of this bank is in Vancouver.
#9. Laurentian Bank of Canada:
This bank in Cananda has secured the ninth position in terms of total assets acquired. The total assets acquired by Laurentian Bank of Canada are C$45.212 billion. In the year 2016, this bank has generated revenue of $915.5 million. And in the same year, net profit of this bank was $187 million. 3600 people work in here. It was quite old bank, established in the year 1846. The head-quarter is situated in Montreal, Quebec.
#10. Canadian Western Bank:
On the tenth position, we have Canadian Western Bank, in terms of total assets acquired. The total assets acquired by Canadian Western Bank are C$25.345 billion. The revenue and the net income of Canadian Western Bank in the year 2015 were C$579 million and $319 million respectively. As per the report of 2013, around 2037 people (13) work here. It was founded in the year 1988. And the head-quarter is situated in Edmonton, Alberta.
We hope you liked this guide to top banks in Canada. If you are looking forward to making a career in Banking, then you can checkout some of the awesome resources –