Investment Banking Tutorials
- Investment Banking Free Course
- Investment Banking Basics
- What is Investment Banking? (Overview of what do they actually do!)
- Investment Banking vs Commercial Banking
- Equity Research in an Investment Bank
- What is Asset Management Company AMC
- Sales and Trading in Investment Banking
- Private Placement, IPO and FPO in Investment Banking
- Investment Banking – Underwriters and Market Makers
- Investment Banking – Mergers and Acquisitions
- Investment Banking – Restructuring and Reorganisation
- Investment Banking Roles and Responsibilities
- Market Makers
- Propreitary Trading
- Top 4 Must Know Investment Banking Charts (Free Download Template included)
- Pitch Book | Guide to Investment Banking Pitch Book (Examples)
- Leverage buyout Lbo Analysis
- Trading Floor
- Market Order vs Limit Order
- Merchant Bank
- Best Investment Banking Books
- Nasdaq vs Dow Jones
- Nasdaq vs Nyse
- Investment Banking Careers
- Investment Banking Interview Questions (with Answers)
- How to get into Investment Banking?
- Investment Banking Job Description
- Investment Banking Associate Salary
- Investment Banking Job For Graduates (Engineers) | Top 8 Tips
- How to get an Investment Banking Internship?
- Top 10 Finance Certifications Programs
- Investment Banking Lifestyle
- Investment Banking Exit Opportunities
- Investment Banking Case Studies
- Top 10 Best Finance courses (with Online Certification)
- Investor Relation Job Description
- Financial Analyst Job Description
- Investment Banking vs Equity Research
- Investment Banking vs Asset Management
- Commercial Banking vs Merchant Banking
- Investment Banking vs Corporate Banking
- Portfolio Management vs Investment Banking
- Investment Banking vs Hedge Fund Manager
- Investment Banking vs Investment Management
- Investment Banking vs Private Equity
- Careers in Trading
- Investment Banking Firms
- Top Bulge Bracket Investment Banks
- Top Middle Market Investment Banks
- Top Boutique Investment Banks
- Investment Banking in Dubai
- Investment Banking in Hong Kong
- Investment Banking in Russia
- Investment Banking in Brazil
- Investment Banking in China
- Investment Banking in Australia
- Investment Banking in Saudi Arabia
- Investment Banking in Singapore
- Investment Banking in London (UK)
- Investment Banking in India
- Investment Banking in Ireland
- Investment Banking in South Africa
- Investment Banking in Canada
- Investment Banking in Germany
- Investment Banking in France
- Top Banks
- Top Banks In Austria
- Top Banks In Bahrain
- Top Banks In Belgium
- Top Banks In Bermuda
- Top Banks In British Virgin Islands
- Top Banks In Brunei
- Top Banks In Canada
- Top Banks In Cayman Islands
- Top Banks In Denmark
- Top Banks In Finland
- Top Banks In France
- Top Banks In Germany
- Top Banks In Greenland
- Top Banks In Guernsey
- Top Banks In Ireland
- Top Banks In Isle of Man
- Top Banks In Japan
- Top Banks In Kuwait
- Top Banks In Liechtenstein
- Top Banks In Luxembourg
- Top Banks In Macau
- Top Banks In Norway
- Top Banks In Oman
- Top Banks In Puerto Rico
- Top Banks In Qatar
- Top Banks In Saudi Arabia
- Top Banks In Singapore
- Top Banks In South Korea
- Top Banks In Sweden
- Top Banks In Switzerland
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- What is Mergers and Acquisitions?
- Mergers vs Acquisitions
- Synergy in M&A
- Successful Mergers and Acquisitions
- Financing Acquisitions
- Statutory Merger
- Joint Venture
- White Knight
- Hostile Takeover
- Golden Parachute
- Poison Pills
- What is Amalgamation?
- Spin off vs Split Off
- Forward Integration
- Backward Integration
- Best Mergers and Acquisitions Books
- What is Asset Restructuring?
Overview of Banks in Saudi Arabia
As per the Moody’s Investors Services, the banking system in Saudi Arabia is now stable. Moody has changed their rating from negative to stable due to the following reasons –
- They have noticed high-risk absorption buffers for the banks in Saudi Arabia.
- They have also seen how the funding pressures on the banks of Saudi Arabia have been eased out.
- Finally, the credit profiles of the banking system of Saudi Arabia have been improving and Moody’s Investors Services are expecting the credit profiles to evolve to the next level within 12 to 18 months.
Plus, the banking system in Saudi Arabia has also been getting a huge support from the Government which will allow Saudi economy to recover at a highest pace.
Structure of Banks in Saudi Arabia
There are total 24 banks in Saudi Arabia. Out of these 24, 12 are local banks and the rest are the branches of foreign banks.
The Saudi Arabian Monetary Authority (SAMA) controls and regulates the whole banking system in Saudi Arabia. It is the central bank of Saudi. It ensures smoothness of operations and the stability of exchange rate. At the same it also issues Saudi Rial which is the currency of Saudi Arabia.
Even if there are two types of banks in Saudi Arabia, we can further sub-categorize them in another four – commercial banks, real estate banks, industrial banks, and agricultural banks.
Top banks in Saudi Arabia
Let’s look at the top 10 banks in Saudi Arabia terms of total assets acquired as per relbanks.com–
#1. National Commercial Bank:
This is the largest financial institution of Saudi Arabia. In terms of total assets required, this is the biggest. In the year March, 2017, it was found that the total assets acquired were SAR 448.717 billion. It was founded in the year 1953 and converted into a joint stock company in the year 1997. Around 8035 employees work here. They serve around 5 million customers and the customers’ deposits were SAR 313.646 billion at the end of March, 2017.
#2. Al Rajhi Bank:
This is one of the largest Islamic banks in Saudi Arabia. In terms of total assets, it is the second largest. At the end of March, 2017, the bank has acquired around SAR 337.230 billion of total assets. Around 14,000 employees work here. Its head-quarter is situated in Riyadh. It has branches all across the world, in Malaysia, Kuwait, Jordan etc. At the end of March, 2017, the customers’ deposits were SAR 271.290 billion.
#3. Samba Financial Group:
It was established in the year 1980. After the merger with United Saudi Bank in the year 1999, it has become one of the top banks in Saudi Arabia. In terms of total assets acquired, this bank is the third largest. At the end of March, 2017, it has acquired around SAR 231.9 billion of total assets. This group has employed around 3500 people. Its head-quarter is located in Riyadh. The customer deposits at the end of March, 2017 were SAR 170.4 billion.
#4. Riyad Bank:
It was founded in the year 1957 and it is the oldest publicly held bank. In terms of total assets acquired, this is the fourth top bank in Saudi Arabia. At the end of March, 2017, the total assets acquired by the bank were SAR 216.323 billion. Around 6300 people work here. It has more than 340 branches and 2700 ATMs. The customer deposits of this bank at the end of March, 2017 were SAR 154.187 billion. The head-quarter of this bank is located in Riyadh.
#5. Banque Saudi Fransi:
It was established in the year 1977. Around 3000 employees are employed here. The head-quarter of Banque Saudi Fransi is located in Riyadh. This is the 5th largest bank in terms of total assets acquired. The total assets acquired by Banque Saudi Fransi at the end of March, 2017 were SAR 204.4 billion. At the same time, the customers’ deposits were SAR 158.5 billion. It provides retail, investment, and corporate banking.
#6. Saudi British Bank (SABB):
This is a joint stock company and part of HSBC Holdings PLC. In terms of the total assets acquired, this bank stands at number six. The total assets acquired by Saudi British Bank at the end of March, 2017 were SAR 182.5 billion. During same time, the customers’ deposits were SAR 138.3 billion. The head-quarter of this bank is also situated in Riyadh. Around 3200 employees work here.
#7. Arab National Bank:
It was established in the year 1979, around 38 years ago. Its head-quarter is also located in Riyadh. In terms of the total assets acquired, this is the 7th largest bank in Saudi Arabia. The total assets acquired by Arab National Bank at the end of March, 2017 were SAR 168.427 billion. During the same time, the customers’ deposits were SAR 135.02 billion. It provides mainly retail and corporate banking. Around 4400 employees are employed here.
#8. Alinma Bank:
Alinma bank is one of the top banks in Saudi Arabia. As it is an Islamic bank, it is a full Sharia-compliant and it also offers whole gamut of retail banking services. In terms of total assets acquired, this bank stands at 8th The total assets acquired by Alinma bank at the end of March, 2017 were SAR 105.256 billion. It has around 80 branches all across Saudi Arabia.
#9. Alawwal Bank:
This bank is quite old; it was established in the year 1926, around 91 years ago. During that time, it was the only bank that existed in Alawwal bank and it acted as central bank as well. In terms of total assets acquired, it stands at 9th The total assets acquired by Alawwal bank were SAR 100.369 billion. During same time, the customers’ deposits were SAR 80.297 billion. Its head-quarter is also located in Riyadh.
#10. Saudi Investment Bank:
This bank was established in the year 1976, around 41 years ago. Around 1600 employees work here. In terms of total assets acquired, this bank is the 10th largest bank in Saudi Arabia. The total assets acquired by Saudi Investment Bank were SAR 97.546 billion. The customers’ deposits at the same time were SAR 64.4 billion. It has around 50 branches all across Saudi Arabia and it provides a whole gamut of wholesale and retail banking products in regards to investments.
We hope you liked this guide to top banks in Saudi Arabia. If you are looking forward to making a career in Banking, then you can checkout some of the awesome resources –
- List of Top Banks in Philippines
- List of Top Banks in Australia
- Top Investment Banks in Saudi Arabia
- Financial Modeling Excel
- Build a Financial Model
- Ratio Analysis Excel Template
- List of Top Bermuda Banks
- List of Top Austria Banks
- List of Top Bahrain Banks
- List of Top Canada Banks
- List of Top Belgium Banks
- List of Top Banks in Denmark
- Banks in France
- Banks in Finland
- Banks in Japan