List of Top 10 Taxation Books
- K. Lasser’s 1001 Deductions and Tax Breaks: Your Complete Guide to Everything Deductible
- Fundamentals of Corporate Taxation (University Casebook Series)
- Essentials of Federal Income Taxation for Individuals and Business
- South-western Federal Taxation: Individual Income Taxes
- Principles of Taxation for Business and Investment Planning
- Examples & Explanations: Corporate Taxation
- International Taxation in a Nutshell
- Federal Taxation: Basic Principles
- Federal Income Taxation (Concepts and Insights Series)
- The Best Zero Tax Planning Tools
You know taxation is a complex subject and every year there are some changes in the law. So if you are not updated it wouldn’t help you at all. No matter who you are, a financial consultant or a human resource professional, an entrepreneur or a fresher, you need to know taxation.
These top 10 taxation books will help you learn tax in depth. Few of the books we chose are always relevant irrespective of the years of publication. Some are useful only now and one year from now. Have a look at them and start with one. You would see that you would drastically improve your knowledge of taxation.
#1 – K. Lasser’s 1001 Deductions and Tax Breaks: Your Complete Guide to Everything Deductible
by Barbara Weltman
Giving away all your money in taxes is a foolish thing to do. Why not read this best taxation book instead?
As the title suggests you would get everything that you need to know about taxes in this book. From you and your family, your home, your car, job or business, even casualty and theft losses or insurance, you would know everything and how you could save money and the deductions available under these heads. The book is very well organized so that you would find a particular deduction for your situation. And it’s just 480 pages long.
- This book should be used by everybody who would like to save on taxes in 2016-17.
- It will help you understand the why of taxation and where you can save taxes.
- The information available in this book would be immediately applicable. So you don’t need to go to any tax consultant to find out where you would get deductions in taxes.
#2 – Fundamentals of Corporate Taxation (University Casebook Series)
by Stephen Schwartz & Daniel Lathrope
It is used as a textbook in the university classes. You can avail all its benefit just by purchasing it.
Don’t go by its words. The words of this edition are not as lucid as you would like it to be. But it’s not about the words that make the book count. It’s the information provided in it. Many people who have read this book have mentioned that it has worked as an advisor in all their taxation issues. Moreover, this book has given you cases from which the examples are being shown. Cases help students understand a scenario better than anything else.
- This publication is 756 pages long and includes everything you need to know about corporate taxation.
- This book will help you understand the cases along with the fundamentals.
#3 – Essentials of Federal Income Taxation for Individuals and Business
by Linda M. Johnson
If you are bothered about tough language of taxation, pick this book up. It’s lucid, easy to read and will guide you to take control of your taxes.
People who have gone through this book have mentioned that if you read this book from cover to cover, you would be able to file your own tax return and understand tax as if you have years of training in the subject. The basic reason behind this is that it covers everything that’s relevant for you as an individual and for businesses.
- If you are looking for a book for your college education in taxes, this is the book you should pick up.
- This book will help you learn taxation like a student and will guide you to understand every part of federal taxation.
#4 – South-western Federal Taxation: Individual Income Taxes
by William H. Hoffman, James C. Young, William A. Raabe, David M. Maloney & Annette Nellen
We all know that tax is boring. But if you read this book, you would find out why tax could be interesting.
This book is particularly useful for those who would like to understand federal taxes for individual purposes. If you don’t want to hire a tax consultant to file your return, you can read this book for yourself. Or else, you can also help others and how they could manage their returns by reading this book. This is a good book, but sometimes, you may feel bogged down under the heap of information. Just learn slowly and you would enjoy the material.
- It is very much useful for individual taxation. So if you feel that you need to know individual income taxes in-depth, read this book.
- This book can be rented if you are in college and you can return the book whenever you are done with the semester.
#5 – Principles of Taxation for Business and Investment Planning
by Sally Jones & Shelley Rhoades-Catanach
This book is particularly useful for people who are more interested in business and investment planning. Have a look at the review and the best takeaways to know more.
Most people feel that taxation is boring because there are very few books that can concentrate on all the fundamentals in a summarized form. But in this book, you would get all the summary of tax fundamentals which will help your understanding and application. Moreover, it is written in a very lucid language and the chapters are short.
- There are two opposites are organized here properly. The first taxation is dry. If you don’t have short chapters it would be difficult for usual readers. The second taxation needs readers to go in-depth. And without explanation, the subject wouldn’t make any sense. This publication has done both of these things in the proper way.
- It can be used as a primary text book in the college.
#6 – Examples & Explanations: Corporate Taxation
by Cheryl D. Block
If you are searching for a book on taxation for dummies, this is the one which will fit the bill.
This book has been read and revered by many students in the university. They have mentioned that it has helped them learn taxation in a new way. This edition on taxation is crisp, to the point and acts as a great substitute for any thick corporate tax book you would like to read. Moreover, it has included several case studies so that students can relate to what they are learning. Not only tax students, but law students also can get a great benefit from this book.
- The best part of this book is the diagrams used in it. They are very informative and will help a student revise the concepts very well.
- You would not only learn concepts from this book; rather you would also be able to apply the concepts in real life.
- You would also be able to use many examples to crystallize your understanding.
#7 – International Taxation in a Nutshell
by Richard Doernberg
This book would be a great addition to your taxation library. Have a glance at the review and best takeaways to know more about the book.
It has not only helped many students to learn international taxation but also helped them in tax planning. And the students who have read this book hail from college students to professionals of different backgrounds. Moreover, it is a very easy read and acts as a great law supplement if you are studying law. If you are struggling with international taxation, it would also help you as a great reference book and it would also be able to help you in preparing for your exam.
- If you are involved in any business, it’s of utter importance that you understand the cross border flow of taxation. And this book will help you do that.
- This book will not only help students in understanding the concepts, but it will also help them clear exams.
- This book is comparatively very cheap if you compare the value with the price.
#8 – Federal Taxation: Basic Principles
by Ephraim P. Smith, Philip J Harmelink & James R. Hasselback
This edition is written in such a way that learners will greatly benefit with the approach.
If you are a student of finance or law, you would know how frustrating it becomes when you try to study taxation. Most of the books are overly technical and written in such a way that a student isn’t able to digest even the parts of the books. But this book is the exception. It is designed in such a way that you would be able to digest the whole book in a short period of time. You would learn most of the tax codes you need to learn because this book has explained the tax codes in a very logical manner. And the whole book is organized according to a flow chart which will help you understand chapter after chapter without missing out anything in between.
- It is particularly useful for students who are complete beginners. If you don’t have any idea about taxation, this book will help you understand taxes from the fundamental level. Even by the aid of this book, you would be able to learn tax filing.
- Once you buy this book, you would be provided with the free tax code which will help you understand the fundamentals of tax codes very well.
- The book is written in very lucid manner and the chapters are very well organized.
#9 – Federal Income Taxation (Concepts and Insights Series)
by Marvin Chirelstein & Lawrence Zelenak
This is a perfect guide for students who want to make their mark in examination. Read the review and best takeaways to know more.
Why students struggle with tax laws? Because there are not many books that can explain the tax laws well (meaning in length with examples). As this publication is designed for students, it will help you learn the fundamental tax laws in a lucid manner. Students who have read this book have mentioned that if you want to read one single book on this subject, make it this book. It has explained everything in a lucid manner, however, it is not wordy and doesn’t deviate from the topics while describing.
- This edition is reasonably priced. If you compare the value it is providing, the price won’t seem very high. Even you can rent this book as a supplement for your current textbook.
- As mentioned earlier, it is mostly helpful for students who are from finance, law or taxation background.
#10 – The Best Zero Tax Planning Tools
How to Maximize Tax-Efficient Lifetime Income, Transfers to Heirs and Gifts to Favorite Charities
by Tim Voorhees
This book is different in scope. It’s particularly useful for those who want to maximize their income.
This book is written for a single purpose and that’s why it can’t be called a textbook. It is written to teach you the secret of passing on wealth and to preserve wealth. If you read this, you will be able to ensure that your next generation would be able to enjoy the wealth you have created for them. And it is very easy to read. You would be able to read this book in a few hours (just 133 pages book).
- This is a useful book without any flowery language and serves one single purpose of helping you preserve and pass on your wealth to the next generation.
- Even professionals who are tax planners can also use this book to help their high net-worth clients.