AutoCorrect Feature in MS Excel
The AutoCorrect is a very excellent option provided in Excel Microsoft Office. This feature can automatically correct common misspelled words or finish a short phrase to a full sentence or even pop up a full form of an abbreviation. This Option will not only correct the spellings of the words and also excel autocorrects the capitalization of the first word after a full stop.
How to Select AutoCorrect Option in Excel (Simple and Easy Steps)
- Step 1: After opening the Microsoft Excel, Go to File Menu and Select “Options” as shown in the screenshot.
- Step 2: In Options Goto “Proofing” option.
- Step 3: In Proofing click on Excel “AutoCorrect options”.
- Step 4: The window for AutoCorrect options will appear as shown below. The AutoCorrect tab is the default option that is selected in the window of AutoCorrect.
Here autocorrect option in Excel is checked by default if you want to uncheck the autocorrect option, uncheck the option for “ Replace text as you type”. Then after unchecking this, now one will not be able to see the excel autocorrect option for spellings. For example, if you type “ehr” it will be shown as “ehr” but not as “her”.
The option “Replace text as you type” is only for toggling of auto-correction of spellings only in the written text before clicking the Enter button.
AutoCorrect Options Tab
There are many options in this window to check or uncheck them, by default they are checked and if you want to uncheck them or don’t want to use them, then we can uncheck the excel checkbox.
1) Correct Two Initial Capitals: If you turn off or uncheck the checkbox for this, you will not be able to correct the first initial capitals.
2) Capitalize First Letters of Sentences: This option will automatically capitalize the first letter of a sentence. By turning off this option, you will not be able to use the auto-capitalization option next time.
3) Capitalize Names of Days: This option will automatically capitalize the names of the days in a week.
4) Correct Accidental use of Caps Lock Key: Accidentally sometimes the Capital letters are used in between the words. To correct those words or sentences then this option is useful.
If I type “ehr” in excel and press enter, it automatically corrects the word to “her” as shown in the below screenshot.
The above screenshot is having spelling “ehr” after I click to enter, then it automatically changes the spelling to “her”. This is shown in the below screenshot.
Not all the spellings get excel autocorrected with this feature. As I said before it has some list of words in that feature that autocorrects.
In this example, teacher spelling is written wrong, and it is not identified by the feature and not auto-corrected. Now we can add the spelling to the list and then it can be corrected. This can be shown below.
The spelling is corrected.
The step by step process is as follows to add the spelling to the list.
- Step1: Goto File Menu
- Step 2: Now from there go to Options.
- Step 3: Click the “Options” button. You will see a window of having many options as shown in the below screenshot.
- Step 4: Now select Proofing option, and then again another window will be opened and in that select “AutoCorrect Options” in that window and again another window will be opened which is as shown in the below screenshot.
- Step 5: Now another window will be opened for “AutoCorrect Options “. In that, the excel Autocorrect is the default tab selected in that window as shown below.
- Step 6: In that window, we find that all the checkboxes are checked by default, which means all the features are applied automatically if you want to turn them off that can be done just by unchecking the checkbox beside the feature.
Now our requirement is to add the user-defined text for replacing the text. That can be done by writing the misspelled word in “replace” Text field and correct spelling in the “with” field. This is as shown below.
Write the word to be replaced in the “replace” field and the word with which it is replaced in the “with” field. Now click on the ADD button and then click “OK”. Then click “OK” again in the main “Proofing” window. The user-defined text will be added to the list. Now the added text can be used from next time. The wrongly spelled word is now corrected to the right spelling.
The screenshot for that would be as shown below.
Here we can see that the text got corrected. The correct spelling can be seen in the highlighted cell.
- This feature’s main purpose is to correct the spellings of the words in a sentence if they are wrongly written in spellings.
- The next feature is this feature also auto-capitalizes the first letter of every word in a sentence. We can turn off this option as discussed above.
- As a part of the auto-capitalization feature, this option automatically capitalizes the first letter of every word of a day in a week.
- Sometimes we write capital letters accidentally in between the words. Capital letters also can be corrected into small letters with this feature.
- The first two initial words also can be made capital with this option. One can even turn off this feature as discussed above.
- We can even add the user-defined spellings which can be wrongly spelled in the replace text field space as there are only some words in that list.
- Not only words symbols in which the user thinks that he is frequently using them and in any case, but they also don’t want to misspell the spelling at any time. In this case that symbols can be added to the list so that they cannot be missed.
For example CopyRight ©, the symbol can be used by using the text “(c)”.
The drawback in this feature is it does not correct all the words which are spelled, it has some list of words shown in the window if you observe, some most common words are present in the list. Also, there is another option of adding own text to be corrected. This is shown in the below screenshot.
In the above screenshot, there is an option to add the user-defined spellings for the auto-correction of spellings, write the wrongly spelled word in replace text field and the correct spelling in “with” field. After entering the text, click on OK and then again click ok in the Proofing window. Now you can be able to use the user-defined words for auto-correction of misspelled words.
Important Points to be Remembered
- This feature has only a list of words for the auto-correction of spellings.
- It is by default applied in Microsoft Excel, as per the requirement we can turn off this feature.
- It is automatic some unwanted changes also may happen due to this auto feature option. Then we need to turn off the options which are not necessary for that particular time so that our work is not interrupted.
This has been a guide to AutoCorrect in Excel. Here we learn how to use AutoCorrect in Excel along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –