Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
Remove Leading Spaces in Excel – Table of Contents
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel Using TRIM Function?
- Remove Non-Breaking Leading Spaces in Excel?
- Remove Double Spaces using FIND & REPLACE Method?
- Remove All Leading Spaces in Excel Using FIND & REPLACE Method?
How to Remove Leading Spaces in Excel Cell?
Often in excel unwanted space characters take a considerable amount of time to clean and make the data perfect. One of the biggest problems with these unwanted leading spaces in excel cell is we cannot simply recognize there is a space in it, this adds to the misery.
Here we will see how to remove leading spaces in Excel Cell and many more other things.
#1 – Remove Unwanted Leading Spaces in Excel Cell Using TRIM Function
Yes, you could argue that why don’t we replace the space with nothing. But the problem is all the necessary spaces are also will get replaced along with it. For an example look at the below sentence in a cell.
In the above sentence, we need one space character after each completed word to make the sentence proper. We have only one extra space after the word Capital.
In order to deal with these unwanted spaces problems, we have a built-in Excel function called TRIM, which can remove all the unwanted spaces in excel cell.
The syntax is very simple, we just need to select the required cell to be trimmed. The TRIM function removes all the spaces except the single space after each word. Let’s apply the TRIM formula to remove all kinds of spaces in a cell.
This Trim function removed the spaces between “Capital” and “is”.
#2 – Remove Non-Breaking Leading Spaces in Excel Cell
It is very easy to remove normal leading spaces in the excel cell. In the case of non-breaking leading spaces, the TRIM function goes wrong. Look at the below image.
Even after the TRIM is applied we don’t see the perfect sentence here. This is the problem with non-breaking leading spaces in excel cell.
Non-Breaking Leading Spaces in Excel Cell usually comes when we download the data from a web which is made up of the character CHAR (160). In these cases, we need to use TRIM and SUBSTITUTE excel function together.
Firstly open TRIM function.
Now apply SUBSTITUTE function.
We need to select the text now, so select A4 cell as the reference.
What is the old text we need to remove here? Old text is CHAR (160).
New text to be a substitute is nothing, so mention double quotes (“”).
Close the bracket and hit the enter key. We would get an accurate sentence now.
This way we can deal with on breaking spaces in Excel Cell. If the TRIM function is not able to give to proper results then use this technique.
#3 – Remove Double Spaces Using Excel FIND & REPLACE Method
Here we have a first name and last name together. After the first name, we have two spaces instead of one space. In these cases instead of TRIM function, we can also use find and replace method.
Step 1: Select the required area’s double space to be removed.
Step 2: Now press CTRL + H.
You will see below Find & Replace window.
Step 3: In the Find what: box type two space character.
Step 4: Now in the Replace with: type only one space character.
Step 5: Now click on Replace All.
Step 6: Now excel will show you how many replacements it has made.
Step 7: It has removed all the double spaces in excel cell and replaced with single space and we have proper names now.
#4 – Remove All Leading Spaces Using Excel FIND & REPLACE Method
Assume you are working with numbers and you have many spaces in between the numbers as shown in the below image.
We have abnormal Excel leading spaces in between, before and after the numbers. In these cases, we need to remove all the spaces. So use Find & Replace method.
Step 1: Select the data first.
Step 2: Press Ctrl + H and type single space in Find what: box.
Step 3: Now don’t enter anything in Replace what: box, just click on Replace All.
Step 4: It will remove all the leading spaces in the excel cell and we have numbers in order now.
Things to Remember While Removing Leading Spaces in Excel Cell
- If you are using FIND & REPLACE method to Remove leading spaces in excel cell, then it is important to select the range and do the operation.
- If you are downloading the data from the web and you are encountering same space problem then you need to use SUBSTITUTE function to remove CHAR (160) along with TRIM function.
- In order to remove non-printable characters use the CLEAN Excel function.
This has been a guide to Remove Leading Spaces in Excel Cell. Here we discuss how to Remove Leading Spaces in Excel along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –