How to Convert Text to Numbers in Excel? (Step by Step)
There are so many ways we can convert text to numbers in excel. We will see one by one.
- Using quick Convert Text to Numbers Excel Option
- Using Paste Special Cell Formatting Method.
- Using the Text to Column Method.
- Using the VALUE Function.
#1 Using quick Convert Text to Numbers Excel Option
This is probably the simplest of ways in excel. Lot people use the apostrophe ( ‘ ) before they enter the numbers in excel.
- Step 1: Select the data.
- Step 2: Click on the error handle box and select Convert to Numbers option.
- Step 3: This would convert the text-formatted numbers to number format instantly and now the SUM function-working fine and showing the accurate result.
#2 Using Paste Special Cell Formatting Method
Now I am moving to another of changing the text to numbers. Here I am using Paste Special method. Consider the same data that I have used in the previous example.
4.9 (1,353 ratings) 35+ Courses | 120+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
- Step 1: Type the number either zero or 1 in any one cell.
- Step 2: Now copy that number. (I have entered the number 1 in the cell C2).
- Step 3: Now select the numbers list.
- Step 4: Now press ALT + E + S (Excel shortcut key to paste special method) and this will open up the below dialogue box. Select multiply option. (You can try divide also)
- Step 5: This would instantly convert the text to numbers instantly and SUM formula working fine now.
#3 Using the Text to Column Method
This is the third method of converting text to numbers. This is a bit lengthier process than the earlier two but it is always a good thing to have as many alternatives as possible.
- Step 1: Select the data.
- Step 2: Click on the Data tab and Text to Columns option.
- Step 3: This will open up the below dialogue box and make sure delimited is selected. Click on the next button.
- Step 4: Now make sure Tab box is checked and click on the Next button.
- Step 5: In the next window select the General option and select the destination cell and click on the Finish button.
- Step 6: This would convert your text to numbers and SUM will work fine now.
#4 Using the VALUE Function
In addition, a formula can convert text to numbers in Excel. VALUE function will do the job for us. Follow the below steps to learn how to do it.
- Step 1: Apply the VALUE formula in cell B1.
- Step 2: Drag and drop the formula to the remaining cells.
- Step 3: Apply the SUM formula in the cell B6 to check whether it has converted or not.
Things to Remember
- If you find the green triangle button in the cell then there must be something wrong in the data.
- VALUE function can be useful in converting the text string that represents a number to a number.
- If there are spacing problems we nest the VALUE function with trim function, For example, =Trim(Value(A1))
- Text to Column is also useful in correcting dates, numbers, and time formats.
This has been a guide to Convert Text to Numbers in Excel. Here we discuss how to Convert Text to Numbers in Excel using 1) Error handler, 2) text to the column, 2) paste special and 4) Value Function along with excel example and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –