Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
- Power Bi (35+)
Table of Contents
Excel Convert Text to Numbers
It is one of the common problems that numbers in Excel are stored in text format in excel. This is a dangerous thing especially when you are doing the calculation in a large amount of data.
Excel formulas won’t give results the calculations if the number is not in the correct format rather it gives the result as zero.
If the result gives zero then we can sense there is something wrong in it but if the 2 numbers are in numbers format and 3 numbers are in the text then the calculation will give only the result of those 3 numbers.
If you at the above image 2nd number and the 5th number are in number format and all the remaining 3 numbers are in text format. SUM formula is applied form F1:F5 but since the 2nd and 5th numbers are in number format SUM function calculates only those two numbers and gives the result as 310 (110+200 = 310).
In this example, I have used only 5 rows but what if there are hundreds of values are. We do not know which value it is taking and which value it is ignoring.
In this article, I will explain you the ways of converting text-formatted numbers to number format and make the calculation simpler.
How to Convert Text to Numbers in Excel?
There are so many ways we can convert text to numbers in excel. We will see one by one.
Example #1 – Using quick Convert Text to Numbers Excel Option.
This is probably the simplest of ways in excel. Lot people use the apostrophe ( ‘ ) before they enter the numbers in excel.
Look at the above sample image apostrophe is entered before the numbers are entered that is why excel showing this as an error through error handler.
Now apply the SUM function to the above numbers.
The result of the SUM function is zero. We can fix this issue by using the error handler option that is showing in each cell.
Step 1: Select the data.
Step 2: Click on the error handle box and select Convert to Numbers option.
Step 3: This would convert the text-formatted numbers to number format instantly and now the SUM function-working fine and showing the accurate result.
Example #2 – Using Paste Special Cell Formatting Method.
Now I am moving to another of changing the text to numbers. Here I am using Paste Special method. Consider the same data that I have used in the previous example.
Step 1: Type the number either zero or 1 in any one cell.
Step 2: Now copy that number. (I have entered the number 1 in the cell C2).
Step 3: Now select the numbers list.
Step 4: Now press ALT + E + S (Excel shortcut key to paste special method) and this will open up the below dialogue box. Select multiply option. (You can try divide also)
Step 5: This would instantly convert the text to numbers instantly and SUM formula working fine now.
Example #3 – Using the Text to Column Method.
This is the third method of converting text to numbers. This is a bit lengthier process than the earlier two but it is always a good thing to have as many alternatives as possible.
Step 1: Select the data.
Step 2: Click on Data tab and Text to Columns option.
Step 3: This will open up the below dialogue box and make sure delimited is selected. Click on next button.
Step 4: Now make sure Tab box is checked and click on Next button.
Step 5: In the next window select the General option and select the destination cell and click on the Finish button.
Step 6: This would convert your text to numbers and SUM will work fine now.
Example #4 – Using the VALUE Function.
In addition, a formula can convert text to numbers in Excel. VALUE function will do the job for us. Follow below steps to learn how to do it.
Step 1: Apply the VALUE formula in the cell B1.
Step 2: Drag and drop the formula to remaining cells.
Step 3: Apply SUM formula in the cell B6 to check whether it has converted or not.
How do we know the numbers are in text format?
We can find the cells with text format by a little green symbol. As I have shown in the below image we can find whether the number is in text format or not.
Things to Remember about Convert Text to Numbers in Excel.
- If you find the green triangle button in the cell then there must be something wrong in the data.
- VALUE function can be useful in converting the text string that represents a number to a number.
- If there are spacing problems we nest the VALUE function with trim function, For example, =Trim(Value(A1))
- Text to Column is also useful in correcting dates, numbers, and time formats.
This has been a guide to Convert Text to Numbers in Excel. Here we discuss how to Convert Text to Numbers in Excel using 1) Error handler, 2) text to column, 2) paste special and 4) Value Function along with excel example and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –