Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
Excel Character Count (Table of Contents)
Count Characters in Excel Cell
Many times we need to count the characters in the cells, this might be because we have some limits in excel or maybe this has been restricted by the user that certain characters should be entered only in the cells. Hence this becomes important that we know how we can count a number of characters in a cell in excel.
Counting the number of character in excel is different from count the filled cells in excel. Counting the number of characters in excel means that we need to know how many alphabets are entered into the cells and on the other side counting the filled cells would mean that counting those cells only that have text or some value in them. So this is important that we know the difference between counting cells and counting the number of characters of excel cells as both of these topics are different.
When we count a number of characters in a cell this means that we are counting the alphabets that are in that cell. This becomes sometimes important to know because excel has its own limits.
In excel a numeric value can be inserted or shown up to some limits and same is the case with the formulas, we can only execute that formula that has the character limit of a maximum of 8192 charters. So if in any case if we see that the formula is giving error we should count the character first.
In excel counting the characters are very easy, for this, we can use the internal formula of excel that is called “LEN”. This function will count the Letters, number, characters and all spaces that are present in the cell. Since this function counts everything that is in the cells, this becomes important that we should know how we can exclude some of the alphabets or value that are in the cells.
Explanation of Count Characters in Excel Cell
Using the LEN function is the easiest way to calculate the characters that are present in the cell as this function does not need only one argument that is we just need to specify the cell for which we need to calculate the characters.
While using the function of LEN we have various options about how we want to calculate the characters, we can choose to count all the characters or choose to exclude some of the characters.
Not only we can count characters from a cell, but we can also count the characters from the full range and this adds more usability to this function of LEN. While calculating the characters from the cell this should be noted that every character that is in the cell will be calculated and this means that even space inserted in the cell would be counted. Even if the space is not visible to us but this is still be counted as a character by the function of LEN.
The generic function that is designed to calculate the characters from the cells is the LEN, however, we can make some modifications to these functions to get the result as per the situation. If we have data where we have the text that includes some special characters and we want the special characters should not be counted then we can still make this happens. This just needs using the substitute function with the LEN function.
How to Count Characters in Excel Cell?
Using this LEN function we can easily get the count of characters that are in excel cell.
Example #1 – Count Total Characters in a Cell
To count the number of characters in a cell we can simply use the function of LEN
Where “Cell” will mean the location of the cell for which we need to calculate the character.
Example #2 – Count all Characters Excluding a Specific Character.
For this, we need to use substitute excel function inside of LEN.
Example #3 – Counting Only a Specific Character.
To exclude some the characters from the count we just need to subtract the count of whole characters from the count of characters excluding specific characters
The first LEN will give the complete count and the second part of the function will give us the count of cells excluding “@”.
At last, we will have the count of specific characters.
Example #4 – Counting all Characters of a Range Instead from a Single Cell.
The Len function is not capable of handling the Arrays, hence we cannot use this function to calculate the count of the whole of the range.
So we need some function that is capable of handling the arrays, arrays mean a source of data. So we will use the function of SumProduct that is very much capable of handling Arrays.
Sumproduct will sum the count of all LEN functions and hence we will get the count of the complete range.
This function will execute by calculating the characters of all the cells that are in the range, once this is done and the function has calculated the characters for all of the cells it will move to the function of SUM and will sum up all the character count and hence that is why we will get the character count of complete range.
Things to Remember
- “Space” in the cell is also counted as a character by the LEN function.
- While using the substitute function this should be remembered that this function is case sensitive. This means that “A” is not treated or searched as “a”.
This has been a guide to Count Characters in Excel Cell. Here we discuss how to count total characters in an excel cell using LEN, SUMPRODUCT and SUBSTITUTE Functions along with excel example and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –