What is a Line Break in Excel Cell?
Line break in excel means inserting a new line in any cell value, simply pressing enter will take us to the next cell, to insert a line break we can use the keyboard shortcut which is ALT + Enter to insert a new line inside a cell, as we insert a line break the height of the cell also increases as it represents the data in the cell.
How to Insert Line Break in Excel Cell?
- Concatenate Function in excelConcatenate Function In ExcelThe concatenate function in Excel is used to connect or concatenate two or more characters, strings, or numbers. The concatenate function is a better alternative to using the & operator to connect two variables..
- & function.
- Use of Alt + Enter Method.
Method #1 – Line Break with Excel Formula (& Function)
Suppose we have Name, Phone Number, and department name in a column. We want them in a single cell combined, but all three separated with a line. The data is as follows,
We want all the three data combined in one column D column and want each data to be separated by a line. We will learn the method of use of the & function in this example. First, we need to understand what a char function is. Char function in excelChar Function In ExcelThe character function in Excel, also known as the char function, identifies the character based on the number or integer accepted by the computer language. For example, the number for character "A" is 65, so if we use =char(65), we get A.: it returns the character, which is specified by our computer, a specific code.
Char(10) returns a line break in the cell.
Below are the steps of inserting line break in excel –
- Now, we need to wrap the text D column so we can see all of the data in the D column.
- Select the blank cells opposite to data in the D column.
- Click on the Excel Wrap Text in the Alignment section of the Home Tab.
- Now In cell D2, write down the following formula,
- Press Enter to see the result.
- We currently don’t see the whole data; we need to expand the row by clicking on the expand row button by hovering our mouse between the two cells A2 & A3.
- Now drag the formula to cell D6.
We can see that we have successfully inserted a line break in cells using the & Formula.
Method #2 – Line Break with Excel Formula (Concatenate)
In the above example, we used the & (And) formula to insert a line break in a cell. Now we will learn to insert a line break in the cell using the concatenate function. But first, what is a concatenate function? The concatenate function is used to join several strings or numbers or values into a single string.
Also, we know what a char function does, but for our revision, let us look again at what a char function does. Char function returns the character, which is specified by our computer, a specific code.
Char(10) inserts a line break in a cell. Now have a look at the below data,
We have a house number, street name, locality, and city in columns A, b, c, and D. Like we fill forms, it is the same. We want the combined address in the E column. We will use the concatenate formula and use the char function to insert a line break in the cell.
- Step #1 – First, we need to wrap the text so that we can see all the data.
- Step #2 – Select all the cells parallel to data in the E column.
- Step #3 – Now click on Wrap text under the alignment section in the Home tab.
- Step #4 – In cell E2, write the following formula,
- Step #5 – When we press enter, we see the following result,
- Step #6 – We currently don’t see the whole data; we need to expand the row by clicking on the expand row button by hovering our mouse between the two cells A2 & A3.
- Step #7 – Now, we drag the formula to cell E8 and see the result.
We have successfully inserted a line break using the concatenate excel formulaConcatenate Excel FormulaThe concatenate function in Excel is used to connect or concatenate two or more characters, strings, or numbers. The concatenate function is a better alternative to using the & operator to connect two variables..
Method #3 – Line Break in Excel Cell (Conventional way)
Now we will use the last and the most convenient way of using a line break in a cell while working on data. We need to keep in mind that this method only works in a cell, and for the next cell, we need to repeat the process. Like a formula, we cannot copy the same formula to other cells.
We will try to insert a line break in the sentence “ I am a Boy” and insert a line break after every word.
- Step #1 – In any cell, double click on the cell or press the F2 button to get In the cell.
- Step #2 – Write I and then press Alt + Enter.
- Step #3 – We can see that it inserted a line break after I now do this for every word.
- Step #4 – Press Enter and see the result.
We have successfully inserted a line break using Alt + Enter method.
Things to Remember
There are a few things we need to remember in Line breaks:
- To Use & and concatenate function, we need to wrap text to view the whole data.
- We need to expand the rows after wrapping the text.
- Char (10) function inserts a line break.
- The Alt + Enter method works in a single cell; for it to work in another cell, we need to repeat the process.
This has been a guide to Line Break in Excel Cell. Here we discuss how to insert a line break in Excel using 1) & Formula, 2) Concatenate Formula, and 3) Alt + Enter method, along with practical examples and a downloadable template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –