Difference Between Apple Numbers Vs Excel
Apple Numbers Vs Excel helps us understand the difference between the spreadsheet program developed by Apple Inc. known as ‘Apple Numbers’, and the widely used Microsoft Excel.
Excel is compatible with both Windows and MAC machines. In contrast, Apple Numbers can only be used on MAC machines.
Spreadsheets are one of the most important tools nowadays in the corporate world. The theme on which such spreadsheets are developed provides tools such as data manipulation and analytical skills to the user. In the 21st century, Microsoft developed spreadsheets known as “Excel”, Apple Inc. as “Numbers”, and Google as “Sheets”. These spreadsheets have unique features and functionalities that help users store the data, manipulate them, and bring a wise picture.
For example, the Apple “Numbers” and the Excel “Spreadsheets” are depicted, as shown below.
Table of contents
- The Apple Numbers vs Excel comparison helps us to choose the required application software that meets our requirements.
- Like Excel, Apple Inc. has also developed a platform called ‘Apple Numbers’, which has similar characteristics to Excel.
- The 2007 release of Apple Numbers gained notoriety for its greater graphical capabilities over competing spreadsheets. However, Excel is the most adaptable spreadsheet currently on the market.
- Numbers are not user-friendly for large data sets, whereas Excel is very versatile and makes it simple to plot all the formulas in the data.
What Are The Apple Numbers?
Apple Numbers is a spreadsheet developed by Apple Inc. based in California. Apple Numbers was launched in 2007 and got popular due to its graphical superiority over other spreadsheets. However, Apple Numbers is much more beneficial for personal purposes.
What Is Excel?
Excel is a spreadsheet developed by Microsoft 32 years ago in 1987. It is the most versatile spreadsheet presently available. The best part is that it is an open-source application and is comparatively much easier, and has a user-friendly interface.
Apple Numbers Vs Excel Infographics
Apple Numbers Vs Excel – Key Differences
The key differences are as follows –
- Apple Inc. developed Numbers, and Microsoft developed Excel.
- Numbers are operated on the iOS platform, and Excel is used on Microsoft Windows OS.
- Numbers support around 31 languages, and Excel around 91 languages across the globe.
- Excel works based on various sheets in the workbook, visible as different tabs. However, Numbers work independently based on the data maintained under the multiple tables. Therefore, we can manipulate data by fetching it from other independent tables.
- Once the data is fed into Excel, it may lose its semantic value, while Numbers can retain the semantic value of the data. For example, suppose we are plotting the data of the car manufacturers in “Column A,” annual revenue figures in “Column B,” and the total revenue figures in the last row of ‘Column B’ to check the share of an individual manufacturer in the market. In that case, the user needs to reference the cells from which data is to be considered, while in Numbers, users may need to provide the name of the manufacturer and their respective annual revenue figures. This feature helps the user reference the manufacturer, and Numbers will automatically plot the data. However, it becomes too difficult to copy the same in all data sets. In comparison, it is easy in Excel.
- Numbers have 262 inbuilt functions, and Excel has 400 inbuilt functions divided into 11 broad categories.
- One can run Numbers only on Mac OS. However, Excel can run both on Mac OS and Microsoft Windows.
- Apples Numbers are not user-friendly for large data sets. However, Excel allows us to use all the formulas throughout the data, due to its highly versatile feature.
- Apple Inc. has released the latest version of Numbers as 5.3, and Microsoft has released the newest version of Excel 2019.
Apple Numbers Vs Excel Comparative Table
|Application Available for
|iOS( iPhone Operating System)
|MSW-OS (Microsoft Windows Operating System)
|Languages supported in the application
|Officially 31 Languages
|Officially 91 Languages
|Separate Tab concept
|Numbers do not have the concept of a tab in the spreadsheet. Instead, it uses various tables that feed data into it.
|Excel has a concept of different tabs in a single spreadsheet.
|Semantic values of data
|In Numbers, data does not lose its semantic values. Based on its nature, functions can be automatically performed.
|In Excel, data loses its semantic values. Hence, all the functions are needed to be manually performed.
|In Numbers, officially, 262 inbuilt functions are available.
|In MS Excel, officially, 400 functions are available, which can be broadly divided into 11 categories.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Exploring patterns and trends is made simple and attractive by a sophisticated and intuitive data analysis tool. For example, even Microsoft Excel files with pivot tables can be opened directly in Numbers. Additionally, pivot tables don’t just operate on Mac, they also perform well on iPad and iPhones.
With Numbers, creating well-organized and polished spreadsheets is simple. We can start with a pre-designed template and customize it per our requirements.
Yes, Apple Numbers is free software. However, Excel charges $8 for a Microsoft Office 365 subscription for a month.
a. For a businessperson, spreadsheet usage is highly necessary to keep track of and perform day-to-day operations.
b. Numbers, a pre-installed software for iPhone users, allows you to build spreadsheets from scratch or use one of the program’s many templates. Data can be imported or exported, sorted by column or row, filtered, and more.
c. Major corporations like Microsoft, Apple Inc., and Google maintain the application based on the industry’s use and preferences to prove their product is more versatile and better. Even though Excel has more popularity in the market, Numbers also has its own set of users who like to utilize its functionalities efficiently.
d. According to the user’s requirements, they can determine the usage of the specific application.
This article is a guide to Apple Numbers vs Excel. Here we discuss top differences between Apple Numbers & Excel, infographics & downloadable excel table. You may also look at the following articles: –