10 Best Excel Books [Updated 2022]
Excel is something people learn by searching on Google. But if you want to make your learning comprehensive, the internet won’t be able to help you always. There would be something or the other missing from your open/free courses that you would only find in books. Below is the list of such books on excel that you must read in 2022 –
- Microsoft Excel Bible: The Comprehensive Tutorial Resource ( Get this book )
- Excel: Quick Start Guide from Beginner to Expert (Excel, Microsoft Office) ( Get this book )
- Excel for Dummies (Excel for Dummies) ( Get this book )
- Power Pivot and Power BI: The Excel User’s Guide to DAX, Power Query, Power BI & Power Pivot in Excel 2010-2016 ( Get this book )
- Building Financial Models with Microsoft Excel: A Guide for Business Professionals, (MISL-WILEY) ( Get this book )
- Predictive Analytics: Microsoft Excel ( Get this book )
- Microsoft Business Intelligence Tools for Excel Analysts (WILEY) ( Get this book )
- Excel Macros For Dummies ( Get this book )
- Excel from Scratch: Excel course with demos and exercises ( Get this book )
- Excel Charts
Let us discuss each of the excel books for beginners in detail along with its key takeaways and reviews.
Let’s get started.
#1 – Microsoft Excel Bible: The Comprehensive Tutorial Resource
by John Walkenbach
This is one of the most revered books on excel in recent times. Let’s have a look at the brief review and the best takeaways from the book.
There are several excel books in the market which promise to be an ally to students and teachers; however, they turn out to be a complete waste of time in the first place. But this book is one of the most sought after books on excel, and people from all walks of life have recommended this book to everyone, whoever wants to learn excel at a deeper level. This particular book is used as a tool for advanced excel for top-level MBA programs as well as for people who love learning by themselves. Very detailed, and the research in the book is commendable.
If you’re a sincere student of excel, you will get a lot out of this book. Here are the best takeaways from the book –
- By using this book, you would be able to create functional spreadsheets that you would be able to use in every minor to major things possible.
- You would be able to make charts and integrate graphics into your content or report to improve visibility and influence.
- You would also be able to visualize data using conditional formatting in excelConditional Formatting In ExcelConditional formatting is a technique in Excel that allows us to format cells in a worksheet based on certain conditions. It can be found in the styles section of the Home tab. and the use of the advanced feature.
- Lastly, by using this book, you would be able to make the most of add-ins in your excel spreadsheetsAdd-ins In Your Excel SpreadsheetsAn add-in is an extension that adds more features and options to the existing Microsoft Excel..
#2 – Excel: Quick Start Guide from Beginner to Expert (Excel, Microsoft Office)
by William Fischer
This top excel book is equally comprehensive, as the name suggests, but the most important part of this book is its price. It’s much cheaper than any comprehensive book on excel.
Let’s say that it’s your first job, and you need a reference guide that will aid you in learning the basic excel formulasBasic Excel FormulasThe term "basic excel formula" refers to the general functions used in Microsoft Excel to do simple calculations such as addition, average, and comparison. SUM, COUNT, COUNTA, COUNTBLANK, AVERAGE, MIN Excel, MAX Excel, LEN Excel, TRIM Excel, IF Excel are the top ten excel formulas and functions. to advanced concepts; what should you do? You should pick up this book and follow the instruction, and you would learn almost everything that you need to learn to earn professional proficiency. From charts to data modelingData ModelingA data model in Excel is a data table in which two or more tables are linked together by a common or many data series. Data from several sheets is combined to create a unique table in data model tables., from pivot models to dashboard design, you will learn almost everything, and even when you’re going for any core domains like data scientist, data analysis, this book would greatly help you as a reference guide.
Compared to the price you need to pay to buy this book, you can call it a no-nonsense guide to learn excel (from basics to advanced). Let’s find out the best takeaways of the book –
- This book is for everybody. If you’re a beginner, you can refer to this book. And even if you’re an expert in excel, you will still learn something from the book. So it’s a comprehensive book and can be used as a great reference for all your professional and personal requirements.
- The examples used in this book are easy and straightforward, which makes learning easier.
- The short-cut keys mentioned in the book are very useful and will save you a ton of time.
#3 – Excel for Dummies (Excel for Dummies)
by Greg Harvey
Dummies books are always un-put-down-able. Once you decide to learn something new, you can pick up a book on dummies and you will learn a ton. This book on excel is no different.
Like the other two books mentioned above, this book is also equally comprehensive. If you want to create beautiful charts and any kind of tables in excel, this book will teach a great deal. This, according to the readers, is a great addition to the dummies series.
You will learn a lot from this book. Here are the best takeaways –
- No matter where you are at this moment, this book will get you started. You will get to learn to create worksheets, use formulas, integrate graphs, learn to format, and more as you go along with the book.
- You will also be able to make changes in data, learn about transferring data between different workbooks, organize any sort of information, and create a chart.
- This is a great guide even if you hate learning excel. This is so comprehensive and easy to learn that you can take one sip at a time and learn as much as you need.
#4 – Power Pivot and Power BI: The Excel User’s Guide to DAX, Power Query, Power BI & Power Pivot in Excel
by Rob Collie and Avichal Singh
As the title suggests, this book is for people who need to excel for four things – Excel Power QueryExcel Power QueryPower Query is an excel tool used to import data from different sources, transform (change) it as required, and return a refined dataset in the workbook., Power BI, DAX, and Powerpivot. Let’s look at the review of the book and the best takeaways.
This book is a masterpiece. People who need Power Pivot for their professional requirement revere this book as one and only reference guide. Back in 2012, the edition was almost full proof. In this edition, it has been refined more, and now it’s the perfect guide for professionals and students. It’s formatted beautifully and very easy to use. If you want to know any of these core areas in-depth, this is a must-have on your shelf.
This advanced excel book is not for beginners, so if you’re a beginner, it’s better that you try out any one of the above three before picking up this book. This book will assume that you have enough knowledge in the basic pivot tables, relationships, and databases, and then it will teach you how you can get started with DAX and Power Pivot. The writing style is very lucid, and people from all walks of life would greatly benefit from this book.<< Get this book >>
#5 – Building Financial Models with Microsoft Excel: A Guide for Business Professionals, (MISL-WILEY)
by K. Scott Proctor
Coming to financial modeling, it’s complex and for professionals who need to know advanced excel at a much deeper level. Let’s look at the review and the best takeaways.
If you’re new to financial modeling and don’t have a clue where to start, pick up this book and dive in. This book will help you build financial models from scratch. Many finance professionals are acquainted with financial modeling, but very few are familiar with consolidated financial statementsConsolidated Financial StatementsConsolidated Financial Statements are the financial statements of the overall group, which include all three key financial statements – income statement, cash flow statement, and balance sheet – and represent the sum total of its parents and all of its subsidiaries. analysis and projections. This book will help you build that skill. This book will also come with a CD, which will help you save the effort and time to go online and download the sheets and workbooks. The only possible flaw in this book is a little old (for 2007 excel), but most of the methods mentioned here work similarly in the recent versions of excel.
- It will teach you how you can build financial models from scratch even when you’re a beginner.
- You will learn how to integrate many financial statementsFinancial StatementsFinancial statements are written reports prepared by a company's management to present the company's financial affairs over a given period (quarter, six monthly or yearly). These statements, which include the Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Cash Flows, and Shareholders Equity Statement, must be prepared in accordance with prescribed and standardized accounting standards to ensure uniformity in reporting at all levels. like cash flow statements, balance sheet,s and income statements into one.
- It will also teach you how you can present the financial models.
#6 – Predictive Analytics: Microsoft Excel
by Conrad Carlberg
This book is different in context and covers mostly practical problems. Let’s have a glance at the reviews and best takeaways.
This advanced excel book is not for beginners. This is for people who already have some sort of experience in excel should go for this book. This book is about predictive analytics and how you can solve practical problems in marketing, finance, and other domains by using excel. You will build skills that will help you reduce costs, improve productivity, enhance revenues, and build momentum in your business or professional activities. You will also get a collection of downloadable Excel workbooks plus VBA code.
- You will learn to use data to make better tactical decisions.
- You will find out the right analytics techniques for each real-life problem.
- You will learn to use excel to solve real-life problems.
- You will learn about managing huge variables and datasets.
#7 – Microsoft Business Intelligence Tools for Excel Analysts (WILEY)
by Michael Alexander, Jared Decker & Bernard Wehbe
Every business is always looking for a competitive advantageCompetitive AdvantageCompetitive advantage refers to a benefit availed by a company that has remained successful in outdoing its competitors in the same industry by designing and implementing effective strategies in offering quality goods or services, quoting reasonable prices and maximizing the wealth of its stakeholders.. Business Intelligence can be yours if you pick up this book and apply its principles. Let’s have a look at the review and the best takeaways.
This best excel advanced book is particularly useful for business analysts because business intelligence is their domain of work. But that doesn’t mean you, as a business owner, can get access to this incredible book. This book is not for beginners. To pick up this book, you at least need a basic overview of excel functions and formulas. This book will teach you to be more efficient with Microsoft Business Intelligence tools like Power Pivot, Power Query & Power View in ExcelPower View In ExcelExcel Power View is a data visualization technology that helps you create interactive visuals like graphs, charts. It allows you to analyze data by looking at the visuals you created. As a result, it makes your excel data more meaningful and insightful for better decision making..
- This is the best excel book you can find on linking files and extracting clear and solid summaries.
- Business analysts need to understand the pattern to make an informed decision. This book will teach them how to bring all the files together within a few hours.
- It’s for people who are at advanced level in excel, but it’s very lucid and easy to understand.
#8 – Excel Macros For Dummies
by Michael Alexandar
This one again is from Dummies. Dummies series always stand out. This one does too. Have a look at the review and best takeaways.
This is one of the most sought after excel macro books in recent times. Once you finish up this book, you would be able to implement and use over 70 macros and save time and become more productive as a result. You will also learn how to use macros and how you can customize them.
- You will learn Macros 101. You will get to know how macros are used; understand VBA and VBE (Visual Basic Editor).
- You will get a workbook workshop that will teach you how you can automate tasks using macros.
- You will learn how macros help you navigate spreadsheets and scrub, shape, and manipulate data.
- You will also learn how macros can help you automate pivot table and chart tasks.
#9 – Excel from Scratch: Excel course with demos and exercises
by Peter Kalmstrom
This is another book on pure excel for beginners and advanced user. Let’s have an overview of the same.
This excel book is perfect for people who are beginners as well as those who have advanced knowledge in excel. The main focus of this book is on the calculations and visualizations where most people get stuck. It’s not only applicable to Microsoft 2016 version; you can use this book for older versions as well.
Best takeaways: You will learn everything in excel, step by step. Moreover, along with this book, you will get a vault of 60 articles with video demonstrations and downloadable exercises which will give you practical ways to learn excel.<< Get this book >>
#10 – Excel Charts
by John Walkenbach
This book is for mastering excel-charts. Let’s see the review and best takeaways.
Most of the professionals use Excel for making calculations and as business tools for making solid decisions. But this book concentrates on visual representations of data. You would learn to select the right charts for appropriate visual representations, to modify the data in the charts, and to give a professional appearance. But this book is not for newbies. You need to know Excel at a foundational level to be able to justify the content of this book.
- You will be able to create high impact charts for business as well as for educational purposes.
- You will learn to customize charts with graphics, shapes, and pictures.
- You will also learn to use interactive charts in excel.
- You will learn to use VBA to create and modify charts.
These ten books will help you become a master of excel. If you pick up all ten and decide to study and apply all that you learn, soon enough, you will become an authority in Microsoft Excel.
- HR Training Excel Course
- Unprotect Excel Workbook
- Bookkeeping Course
- Top 10 VBA Books
- Best Etiquette Book
Amazon Associate Disclosure
WallStreetMojo is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com