Excel Functions Tutorials
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- Excel Tips (178+)
- VBA (162+)
List of Top 10 Basic Excel Formulas & Functions
Do you want to learn Excel but don’t know how to start?. You are at the right place. Here are some basic excel formulas which will help you to start:-
Here is the list of Top 10 Basic Formulas & Functions in Excel.
#1 – SUM in Excel
This Basic Excel Formula is used to get the sum of the value in one or more cells or range.
A formula of Sum Function:-
Result = 41 (See Image below)
Result = 18
#2 – COUNT in Excel
This Basic Excel Function is used to Count the numeric value in one or more cells or range.
A Formula of COUNT Function:
Result = 4 (This will exclude Cell A3 since this formula calculate only Numeric value. See Image below)
#3 – COUNTA in Excel
This Formula is used to count the value in one or more cells (This will count the cells irrespective of Number or Text value)
A Formula of COUNTA Function:
Result = 5 (This will Include Cell A3 since this formula calculate both Text and Numeric value. See Image below)
#4 – COUNTBLANK in Excel
This Excel Basic function is used to count the blank value in the range. (Note: Only Space in a cell will not be considered as a blank cell).
A Formula of COUNTBLANK Function:
Result = 2 (This will calculate the number of blank cell in Range. See Image below)
#5 – AVERAGE in Excel
This basic formula in excel is used to get the average of the value in one or more cells or range.
A Formula For Average Function:
Result = 4 (See Image below)
#6 – MIN Formula in Excel
This excel basic function is used to get the minimum value in cells or Range.
A Formula For MIN Function:
=MIN(A1:A5). Result = 2 (See Image below)
#7 – MAX Formula in Excel
This basic excel function is used to get the maximum value in cells or Range.
A Formula For MAX Function:
Result = 9 (See Image below)
#8 – LEN Formula in Excel
This basic function excel is used to calculate the number of character in a cell or Text.
A Formula For LEN Function:
Cell A1 value is Shivam which has 6 Character length. So Result would be 6 (See Image below)
#9 – TRIM Formula in Excel
This basic excel function is used to remove unnecessary space in a cell or Text.
A Formula For TRIM Function:
Cell A1 has two space between first name, middle name and last name. This function will remove extra space to give the result.(See Image below)
#10 – IF Formula in Excel
IF function is Logical function which is used to perform a logical test.
A Formula For IF Function:
=IF(A1>33,”P”,”F”). A value in Cell A1 is 50 and a logical test is if the value is greater than 33 then result would be P else the result would be F.
Since the value 50 is greater than 33, the result would be P. (See Image below)
Things to Remember About Basic Formulas in Excel
- A formula should always start with equal sign else it will show an error
- If you are entering any text value instead of giving cell address then the text value should be given within Inverted Comma (“”)
- Before entering the function in a cell make sure that cell format in general. If Text format is selected then the formula will not work.
- Space (_) is always counted as a single character so if you are working with blank cell keep this thing in mind that if a cell has only space it will not be counted as a blank cell.
This has been a guide to Basic Formulas in Excel. Here we discuss the list of top 10 Basic Formulas & Functions in Excel including SUM, COUNT, COUNTA, COUNTBLANK, MAX, MIN, etc with downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –