List of Top 10 Basic Excel Formulas & Functions
Here is the list of the top 10 basic formulas and functions in Excel.
- MIN Excel
- MAX Excel
- LEN Excel
- TRIM Excel
- IF Excel
Now, let us discuss each of them in detail –
Table of contents
- List of Top 10 Basic Excel Formulas & Functions
- #1 SUM in Excel
- #2 COUNT Excel Function
- #3 COUNTA in Excel
- #4 COUNTBLANK in Excel
- #5 AVERAGE in Excel
- #6 MIN Formula in Excel
- #7 MAX Formula in Excel
- #8 LEN in Excel
- #9 TRIM in Excel
- #10 IF in Excel
- Things to Remember
- Basic Excel Formulas Video
- Recommended Articles
#1 SUM in Excel
This basic Excel formula is used to get the sum of the value in one or more cells or ranges.
Result = 41 (See Image below)
#2 COUNT Excel Function
This basic Excel function counts the numeric value in one or more cells or ranges.
Result = 4 (This will exclude cell A3 since this formula calculates the only numeric value. Please see the image below).
#3 COUNTA in Excel
This formula counts the value in one or more cells (This will measure the cells irrespective of the number or text value).
Result = 5 (This will Include Cell A3 since this formula calculates both text and numeric value. See Image below).
#4 COUNTBLANK in Excel
This Excel basic function counts the blank value in the range. (Note: We will not consider only space in a cell a blank cell).
Result = 2 (This will calculate the number of blank cells in the range. See image below).
#5 AVERAGE in Excel
This basic formula in Excel is used to get the value average in one or more cells or ranges.
Result = 4 (See image below)
#6 MIN Formula in Excel
This Excel basic function is used to get the minimum value in cells or ranges.
=MIN(A1:A5). Result = 2 (See Image below)
#7 MAX Formula in Excel
This basic Excel function gets the maximum value in cells or ranges.
Result = 9 (See Image below)
#8 LEN in Excel
This basic function of Excel calculates the number of characters in a cell or text.
Cell A1 value is Shivam, which has a 6-character length. So, the result would be 6 (See image below).
#9 TRIM in Excel
This basic Excel function removes unnecessary space in a cell or text.
Cell A1 has two spaces between the first, middle, and last names. This function will remove extra space to give the result. (See image below).
#10 IF in Excel
IF function can perform a logical test in ExcelLogical Test In ExcelA logical test in Excel results in an analytical output, either true or false. The equals to operator, “=,” is the most commonly used logical test..
=IF(A1>33,”P”,”F”). A value in cell A1 is 50, and a logical test is if the value is greater than 33. Then the result would be P. Else, the result would be F.
Since the value 50 is greater than 33, the result would be P. (See image below).
Things to Remember
- A formula should always start with an equal sign. Else, it will show an error.
- If we enter any text value instead of giving a cell address, we should provide the text value within an inverted comma (“”).
- Before entering the function in a cell, ensure that the cell format is general. If a text format is selected, then the formula will not work.
- Space (_) is always counted as a single character. So, if you are working with blank cells, remember that if a cell has only space, it will not be counted as a blank cell.
Basic Excel Formulas Video
This article is a guide to Basic Formulas in Excel. We discuss a list of the top 10 basic Excel formulas and functions with examples with a downloadable Excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –
- Excel IF FormulaExcel IF FormulaIF function in Excel evaluates whether a given condition is met and returns a value depending on whether the result is “true” or “false”. It is a conditional function of Excel, which returns the result based on the fulfillment or non-fulfillment of the given criteria.
- Average FormulaAverage FormulaAverage is the value that is used to represent the set of values of data as is the average calculated from whole data and this formula is calculated by adding all the values of the set given, denoted by summation of X and dividing it by the number of values given in set denoted by N.
- How to use Mode Function in Excel?How To Use Mode Function In Excel?The MODE Function in Excel is a statistical function that returns the most often occurring value in a dataset. In case there are multiple modes, it will return the lowest one.
- VBA TRIM ExamplesVBA TRIM ExamplesVBA TRIM is classified as a string and text function. This is a worksheet function in VBA that, like the worksheet reference, is used to trim or remove unwanted spaces from a string. It takes a single argument, which is an input string, and returns an output string.
- Excel Tutorials