8 Best Job Interview Books [Updated 2021]
An interview is a process, which you encounter whenever you meet any new person, and when you know that you have to get along with this person in the future. The more formal and standardized format of such events is the corporate world’s selection procedure, where an interview is the most important part of the whole selection procedure. Below is the list of books on job interview to read in 2021 –
- Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Interview Questions and Solutions ( Get this book )
- Basic Interviewing Skills ( Get this book )
- How to Win Friends and Influence People ( Get this book )
- Success in Interview ( Get this book )
- The Art of the Interview: The Perfect Answers to Every Interview Question ( Get this book )
- 60 Seconds and You’re Hired! ( Get this book )
- Interviewing ( Get this book )
- Interview Like A Boss ( Get this book )
Let us discuss each of the job interview books in detail along with its key takeaways and reviews.
#1 – Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Interview Questions and Solutions
Cracking the Coding Interview is one of the interview preparation helping book, authored by Gayle Laakmann McDowell. The book contains 500 pages of approximate content basically focusing on getting the top software developer jobs.
Targeting the engineering information technology people seeking jobs, this book provides helpful guidance to the software development career seekers about the general software programming questions and solutions and providing the author’s observations regarding common mistakes made by interviewees.
- Gayle has covered almost 150 questions on software programming, which are generally covered by the interviewers and tried to provide guidance on how the ideal solution should be drafted.
- There is a unique and researched approach given for approaching the tough algorithm questions and how to make decisions in such problems.
- He has also covered technical and behavioral questions and approach to such questions.
- Common mistakes made by job seekers and behind-scenes of the interview process conducted at Google, Facebook, etc. have also been described in this book, helping to understand the real-world practice and to help to prepare candidates for such jobs.
#2 – Basic Interviewing Skills
Waveland Press Inc., the publisher of Basic Interviewing Skills, made a wonderful attempt with the help of author Raymond L. Gorden to provide a point of view of an interviewer, how to standardize and improve the interview experience for both interviewer and interviewee.
Targeting the process of the interview from the point of the interviewer, the author has attempted to generate positive results from the interview process for the interviewer by identifying the qualitative factors required for the step-by-step approach of an interview. I personally think that the author’s observation of the information coding and decoding (interpreting information shared in the resume and shared by the interviewee) is wonderful and well researched and observed. It will definitely help a lot of interviewers in framing the interview process and to get the most out of it.
- A step-wise approach to the interview process, including –
- Formulating interview questions, motivational, and more informative and precise.
- Delivery of questions in a healthy manner
- Observing respondents
- Evaluating the information, response (Coding and Decoding of information)
- It provides a model to use in the future for the continued growth of interview skills. Most of the focus in this book is given on the processing of information in a better and standard manner to get more interpretation and output out of such information.
#3- How to Win Friends and Influence People
One of the old but the best-selling book by Dale Carnegie has recorded 30 million-plus sale of books worldwide. Published by Simon and Schuster, this book appeared in Time Magazine was the Most Influential Books in 2011.
One of the best job interview books on how to sell yourself! Written originally in 1937, its continuous revision made it all time relevant even in today’s world and has been seen as one of those books one must read before appearing in the interview process.
- Among many things you will learn from this best job interview book, I would like to highlight the following key focus points included in books, which will help you to decide how this book is going to help you.
- Opening up and increasing your comfort zone
- Reading the expressions of another person and make a better understanding person and better speaker
- How to increase the influence and how to see from the point of view of another person, to understand the situation in a better way and effective dissemination of emotions
#4 – Success in Interview
Very simple language to explain the interview process, techniques to crack it is what made Success in Interview, written by Anand Ganguly and published by RPH, one of the favorite books among the interviewees.
A simple, yet effective way of explaining the techniques to be adopted in the interview process is what a reader will notice. The direct and precise description of what an interviewee should do or shouldn’t do, including the qualities you should sharpen before appearing for an interview, is what a reader should expect from this book.
- Brief knowledge about the interview process and different scenarios of an interview, as conducted in the real world.
- Techniques to conquer the interview
- How to address fear and nervousness, when preparing and appearing for an interview
#5 – The Art of the Interview: The Perfect Answers to Every Interview Question:
Written by James Storey, this is one of the must-read job interview book for all types of interviewees, including the first time and those who are seeking career change also. This best job interview book covers everything from Interview Questions and Answers to Interviewing, Resume, Interview Tips. Further, it breaks down the art of interviewing into Motivational Interviewing and Job Interviewing.
Helping you to prepare for an interview, also gives you insider informationGives You Insider InformationInsider Information is a piece of fact, information or an understanding (M&A, New Contracts, R&D breakthrough, new product launch etc.) which could impact the prices of a listed entity or publicly-traded organizations once disclosed in the public domain. Trading based on such information is considered to be illegal. regarding how the interviewer sees you and what he expects out of you. Explained with stories, you get tips and strategies of interview preparations and also attempts to address the fear, nervousness, and other excess emotional feelings. Many MBA students prefer this book before appearing for personal interviews and group discussion sessions of companies and universities.
- It includes commonly asked questions and strategies and tips on how to answer them ineffective and attractive manner.
- It helps to analyze yourself, which in the author’s opinion, is the best way to frame answers and present them to interviewers to make them listening and wanting to hire or admit you.
- Not just first-time job seekers but also career changers can read this book on how to identify your strengths gained from previous jobs and to present or, in fact sell yourself in the market.
- Updating your resume, polishing shoes, ironing the dress, and such other routine tasks, yet presented in a very different approach.
#6 – 60 Seconds and You’re Hired!
Written by Robin Ryan. Robin Ryan is the author of 7 such other best-selling career consulting books and has been recognized by ABC News, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and in other reputed media.
America’s top job search expert Robin has helped you through this book on how to take charge and be the interview cracker and get what you want. Packed with very insightful and detailed directions will surely help you to succeed. Even if you try searching the name of this book on Google, what will appear first in results is its review from various journals and newspapers, and magazines. The author’s quick and simple way of explaining things will give you an easier and maximum outcome out of this book.
What you can get from this top job interview book –
- Some unique and author’s observation-based techniques such as “the 5-Point Agenda”, ‘How to Sell in 60 Seconds’, etc.
- Most asked interview questions and ways to answers them after building your own analysis report and assessing it from the author’s scale of measure.
- Certain pitfalls which you need to avoid
- Negotiation skills and techniques to get maximum results out of the situation and also get what you desire for.
#7 – Interviewing
Written by Jack Gray
Covering one of the recent development in the interview and selection procedure, i.e., Phone interviews, the author has grabbed all the key questions and answers in personal interviews and phone interviews.
What you can get from this best job interview book –
- Manners of appearing in interview
- Telephonic interview format, covering questions and answers
- Questions you should ask before responding to an offer
- 37 ways of handling your confidence in the business interviews
#8 – Interview Like A Boss
Written by Hans Van Nas, its first and only edition was published in July 2014 by Simon & Schubert.
First of all, what can be noteworthy about this book is its quite simple and detailed coverage of interview related topics, including right before interview preparations, what to do and not to do when appearing at the interview destination. Taking basics, the author will get you into the selection procedure’s imaginary world where you can start judging what you have to do and how an ideal interview can go. The result is a boost to your confidence and edge to your negotiating skills when it comes to what was your salary in the last job! Analyzing yourself and, in fact, at certain times, you might become speechless when the author starts pointing out the pitfalls as he noticed in many interview stories happened in the real world.
What you can get from this best job interview book –
- Resume drafting
- Detailed and various topics on how to appear for an interview, when and how to negotiate your salary terms
- Mistakes which you need to avoid when appearing before the interview panel
AMAZON ASSOCIATE DISCLOSURE
WallStreetMojo is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com