How to Insert Multiple Rows in Excel?
To insert multiple rows in excel, we need to select the number of rows first based on that we can insert those rows. Once the rows are inserted, we can use the F4 key to repeat the last action and insert as many rows as we want.
Top 4 Useful Methods to Insert Rows in Excel (Discussed with an Example)
- Insert Row using INSERT Option
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel using Short Cut Key (Shift+Space Bar)
- Insert Multiple Rows Using the Name Box
- Insert Multiple Rows Using the Copy & Paste Method
Let us Discuss each method in detail along with an example –
Method #1 – Using INSERT option
We need to select the row first but it depends on how many rows we insert. If we want to insert two rows we need to select two rows and if we want to insert three multiple rows, we need to select three rows and so on.
In the above image, I have selected three rows and now I will right-click on the column header and click on insert this would insert three multiple rows in a single shot.
Method #2 – Using Excel Short Cut (Shift+Space Bar)
- Step 1: Select the cell above you want to insert the row.
- Step 2: Now use the shortcut key to select the entire row instantly. The shortcut keyboard key is Shift + Space Bar.
- Step 3: Now if you want to insert two to three rows select those many rows by using Shift + Down Arrow key. In the below image I have selected 4 rows.
- Step 4: Now click on another keyboard Ctrl + (plus key) shortcut key to insert a row in excel.
Now we have inserted 4 multiple rows. Suppose we need to insert another 4 rows we need to click on Ctrl + if the rows are selected or instead we can use the key F4, which repeats the previous action in excel.
Method 3: Using the Name Box.
Suppose if we need to insert 150 rows above the cell we have selected will take some time because first, we need to select those many rows first then insert rows in excel shortcut.
Selecting 150 rows instantly is not possible in the above two methods. We can select those name box in excel.
- Step 1: Select the cell above we need to insert rows.
- Step 2: On the name, box mention the row range. In my case, I have mentioned 5:155 because I have to insert 150 rows.
- Step 3: After typing the range, hit enter key this would select the cells from 5:155 instantly.
- Step 4: Once the range is selected use the Ctrl + shortcut key to insert row in excel. This will insert 150 rows in just a click.
Alternative Shortcut Key to Insert Row in Excel: ALT + H + I + R is another shortcut key to insert row in Excel.
Method 4: Using the Copy & Paste Method
Microsoft Excel is so flexible man. Can you believe you can insert rows by the copy-paste method?
Yes! You heard it right; we can insert rows just by copy and paste another blank row.
- Step 1: Select the blank row and copy.
- Step 2: Now select the cell above you want to insert rows.
- Step 3: Once the desired cell is selected, select the number of rows you wish to insert and right-click and select Insert Copied Cells.
Case Study: I have data from A1: A10 as shown in the below image.
I want to insert one blank row after every row as shown in the below image.
Alternative Coolest Technique
In the above example, I have only ten rows. What if I have to do it for 100 cells? This will take a lot of time. However, I have the coolest technique you ever see.
Follow the below steps to learn.
- Step 1: Insert serial numbers next to the data.
- Step 2: Copy those serial numbers and paste them after the last serial number.
- Step 3: Now select the entire data including serial numbers and press Alt + D + S.
- Step 4: From the dropdown list select the second column and make sure the smallest to highest is selected.
- Step 5: Now click on Ok. This would instantly insert the blank row after every row.
Wow! Amazing. Probably the coolest and the most intelligent technique you have learned till date :-)
Things to Remember
- Alt + H + I + R, Ctrl +, is the shortcut key to insert a row in excel.
- Always insert new rows after selecting the entire row (s) first. Otherwise, there are chances that your data may shuffle
This has been a guide to Insert Multiple Rows in Excel. Here we learn how to insert multiple rows in Excel using excel insert shortcuts along with excel example and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –