Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
- Power Bi (35+)
Excel Convert Column to Rows (Table of Contents)
Convert Excel Columns to Rows
The data presentation is very important aspects of Excel. Every people looks at the data in his/her own way and try to get the information from it. Let suppose there is a report prepared by someone and it contains very important information. But it doesn’t work for you because of the way you look at the data in different format. Thus, in Excel reorganizing the data is a very important feature and sometimes it’s a pain too when you are working on data arranged in table form.
The simple copy and paste won’t fix this problem. Manually retyping the data is wasting time and tedious task too.
Excel provides an inbuilt feature called TRANSPOSE which converts Columns into Rows and Rows into Columns. This inbuilt capability makes the process easier.
How to Convert Columns to Rows in Excel?
Let us learn to Convert Columns to Rows in Excel by some examples.
There are two methods of doing this:
- Excel Ribbon Method
- Mouse Method
Let’s take below example to understand this process
#1 – Using Excel Ribbon – Convert Columns to Rows with copy and paste
We have the sales data location wise.
This data is very useful for us but I want to see this data in vertical order so that it will be easy for the comparison.
Follow below steps for doing this:
- Select whole data and go to the HOME tab.
- Click on Copy option under Clipboard section. Refer below screenshot. Or press key CTRL +C for copying the data.
- Then click on any blank cell where you want to see the data.
- Click on Paste option under the Clipboard section. Refer below screenshot.
- This will open a Paste dialogue box. Choose the option “Transpose” as shown below.
- It will convert the Column to Rows and will show the data as we want.
The result is shown below:
Now we can put the filter and can see the data in different ways.
#2 – Using Mouse – Converting Columns to Rows (Or Vise-Versa)
Let’s take another example to understand this process.
We have some student score data subject wise.
Now we have to convert this data from Columns to Rows.
Follow below Steps for doing this:
- Select the whole data and right click. It will open a list of items. Click on Copy option from the list. Refer below screenshot.
- Then click on any blank cell where you want to paste this data.
- Again Right-Click and click on Paste Special option.
- It will again open a paste special dialogue box.
- Click on Transpose option as shown in below screenshot.
- Click on OK button.
Now your data is converted from Columns to Rows. The final result is shown below:
Or in other ways, when you move your cursor or mouse on Paste Special option, it will again open a list of options as shown below:
Things to Remember
- The process of converting Column to Rows or Vice-Versa, both methods also work when you want to convert a single column to row or vice-versa.
- This option is very handy and saves a lot of time while working.
This has been a guide to Convert Columns to Rows in Excel. Here we discuss how to Switch Columns to Rows in Excel using the Ribbon and Mouse Method along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –