How to Convert Columns to Rows in Excel?
There are two methods of doing this:
- Excel Ribbon Method
- Mouse Method
Let’s take the below example to understand this process
#1 Using Excel Ribbon – Convert Columns to Rows with copy and paste
We have the sales data location wise.
This data is very useful for us, but I want to see this data in vertical order so that it will be easy for the comparison.
Follow the below steps for converting columns to rows –
- Select the whole data and go to the HOME tab.
- Click on the Copy option under the Clipboard section. Refer below screenshot. Or press key CTRL +C for copying the data.
- Then click on any blank cell where you want to see the data.
- Click on the Paste option under the Clipboard section. Refer below screenshot.
- This will open a Paste dialogue box. Choose the option “Transpose,” as shown below.
- It will convert the Column to Rows and will show the data as we want.
The result is shown below:
Now we can put the filter and can see the data in different ways.
#2 Using Mouse – Converting Columns to Rows (Or Vise-Versa)
Let’s take another example to understand this process.
We have some student score data subject wise.
Now we have to convert this data from Columns to Rows.
Follow the below steps for doing this:
- Step 1: Select the whole data and right-click. It will open a list of items. Click on the Copy option from the list. Refer below screenshot.
- Step 2: Then click on any blank cell where you want to paste this data.
- Step 3: Again, Right-Click and click on Paste Special optionPaste Special OptionPaste special in Excel allows you to paste partial aspects of the data copied. There are several ways to paste special in Excel, including right-clicking on the target cell and selecting paste special, or using a shortcut such as CTRL+ALT+V or ALT+E+S..
- Step 4: It will again open a paste special dialogue box.
- Step 5: Click on the Transpose option, as shown in the below screenshot.
- Step 6: Click on the OK button.
Now your data is converted from Columns to Rows. The final result is shown below:
Or in other ways, when you move your cursor or mouse on Paste Special option, it will again open a list of options as shown below:
Things to Remember
- The process of converting Column to Rows or Vice-Versa both methods also work when you want to convert a single column to a row or vice-versa.
- This option is very handy and saves a lot of time while working.
This has been a guide to Convert Columns to Rows in Excel. Here we discuss how to Switch Columns to Rows in Excel using the Ribbon and Mouse Method along with practical examples and a downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –