Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
Excel Count Rows (Table of Contents)
- #1 – Count Rows which has only the Data
- #2 – Count all the Rows which has the Data
- #3 – Count Rows which has only the Numbers
- #4 – Count Rows which has only the Blanks
- #5 – Count Rows which has only the Text Values
- #6 – Count all the Rows in the Range
How to Count Number Rows in Excel?
We require to count the number of rows in the data. We have several formulas to count in excel. In this article, I will show you the ways of counting rows in excel using formula, rows with data, empty rows, rows with numerical values, rows with text values, and many other things which are related to counting rows in excel.
#1 – Excel Count Rows which has only the Data
Firstly we will see how to count number rows in excel which has the data. In general, there could be empty rows in between the data but often we need to ignore them and find exactly how many rows which contains the data in it.
We can excel count rows which have data by just selecting the range of cells in excel. Take look at the below data.
I have totally 10 rows (border inserted area). In this 10 row, I want to count exactly how many cells has data. Since this a small list of rows, we can easily count the number of rows. But when it comes to the huge database it is not possible to count manually. This article will help you with this.
Firstly, select all the rows in the excel.
Actually, this is not telling me how many rows contain the data here. Now take look at the right-hand side bottom of the excel screen i.e. a status bar.
Take look at the red circled area, it says COUNT as 8 that means the out of 10 selected rows 8 has data in it.
Now I will select one more row in the range and see what will be the count.
I have selected 11 rows in total but count says 9 whereas I have data only in 8 rows. When we closely examine the cells the 11th row contains a space in it.
Even though if there is no value in the cell and it has only space excel will be treated as the cell which contains the data.
#2 – Count all the Rows which has the Data
Now we know how to quickly check how many rows actually contains the data. But that is not the dynamic way of counting rows which has data. We need to apply COUNTA function to count how many rows contain the data.
Apply COUNTA function in D3 cell.
So the total number of rows contains the data are 8 rows. Even this formula treats space as data.
#3 – Excel Count Rows which has only the Numbers
We have seen how to count all the number rows in excel which have data in it. Take the same data for example. Here I want to count how many rows contain only numerical values.
I can easily say 2 rows contain numerical values. Let’s examine this by using formula. We have a built in the formula called COUNT which counts only numerical values in the supplied range.
Apply COUNT function in cell B1 and select the range as A1 to A10.
COUNT function also says 2 as the result. So out of 10 rows, only rows contain numerical values.
#4 – Excel Count Rows which has only the Blanks
Now take a look at the example of how to count rows which have only blanks. We can find only blank rows by using the COUNTBLANK function in excel.
Totally we have 2 blank rows in the selected range which are revealed by COUNT BLANK function.
#5 – Excel Count Rows which has only the Text Values
We have learned how to find the total number of rows which has data, how to find the total number of rows which has only numerical values, how to count the total number of rows which has blanks. The how do we count the total number of rows which has only text values?
Remember we don’t have any straight in COUNTTEXT function unlike previous cases, we need to think a little bit different here. We can use COUNTIF function with wildcard character asterisk (*).
Here all the magic is done by the wildcard character asterisk (*). It matches any of the alphabets in the row and returns the result as text value row. Even if the row contains numerical and text value it will be treated as text value only.
#6 – Excel Count all the Rows in the Range
Now comes the important part. How do we count how many rows we have selected? One is using Name Box which is limited to while still selecting the rows. But how do we count then?
We have built in the formula called ROWS which return how many rows are actually selected.
Things to Remember about Count Rows in Excel
- Even space is treated as a value in the cell.
- If the cell contains both numerical and text value it will be treated as a text value.
- ROW will return what is the current row we are in but ROWS will return how many are there in the supplied range even though there is no data in the rows.
You can Download this Count Rows Excel template here – Count Rows Excel Template
This has been a guide to Count Rows in Excel. Here we discuss the top 6 the ways of counting rows in excel using formula, rows with data, empty rows, rows with numerical values, rows with text values, and many other things which are related to counting rows in excel along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –