Table of Contents
What is Wrap Text in Excel?
Wrap text in Excel belongs to the “Formatting” class of excel function that does not make any changes to the value of the cell but just change the way a sentence is displayed in the cell. This means that a sentence that is formatted as warp text is always the same as that sentence that is not formatted as a wrap text.
- Primarily Microsoft excel is designed to handle large numbers and calculations but sometimes we get stuck in a situation where we want to enter a large sentence in a single cell and that sentence does not get properly displayed in that cell.
- This happens because the width of the cell is less than the width of the cell, in which the text is entered and hence we did not see a complete sentence that is in that cell. Since the width of the cell is less than the width of the sentence, we see only that part of the sentence that can be fit in the width of the cell. We can correct this situation in two ways.
- Either we can increase the width of the cell or we can choose to wrap the text. Choosing to increase the width of the cell is not a good option when we have a large count of columns that are to be displayed in the workbook. If we increase the width of the column then this decreases the numbers of columns that can be displayed on the screen without scrolling the sheet.
- So, the best way will be to stick to the inbuilt option of “Wrap text”. Wrap text in excel enables a user to show a complete sentence that is in the cell without increasing the width of the column.
How to Wrap Text in Excel Automatically and Manually?
This is the most simple and quickest method of using the function of Wrap text.
Method #1 – By using the Wrap Text Option from the Ribbon
Select the cell that needs the Wrap Text and then go to the Home Tab and then from there choose the option of wrap Text. We will get text displayed as below after Wrap Text.
Method #2 – Using the Formatting Cell Option to use Wrap Text.
Sometimes for those people who do not use the mouse often, they can use this Keyboard excel shortcut to wrap text.
Step 1 – Select the cell that needs Wrap text and then press the shortcut key CTRL+1
After the keyboard shortcut is pressed then the below window, from where we can choose the function of Wrap text and then click on OK.
Method #3 – Wrap Text Using the Keyboard Shortcut
Wrap text can also be directly applied by the below keyboard shortcut.
First, we need to Press Alt key then we need to release the Alt key and press H key
We will be applied to the first selected cell. After H key is pressed and released then we need to press W key and Wrap text.
Method #4 – How to Insert a Line Break Manually?
We can make some changes to the excel Wrap text function. We can as per we will insert a line break as per our need.
To insert a line break we just need to take the cursor to that part of the cell where we need to insert a line break.
Now we need to press the below keys at one time.
ALT + Enter key
Refer to the below-given Screenshot
Explanation of Wrap Text in Excel
In excel often Shrink text is considered as a wrap text but this is not correct as both of the functions of Excel are for a different use. If we are using the shrink text function then this means that we want excel to decrease the font size as needed to display the complete text in the single cell. However, in case of using Wrap Text in excel, the complete sentence is displayed without decreasing the font size.
- The functioning of Wrap text can be explained as increasing the row height instead of increasing the column width to display a sentence whose width is more than the width of that column to which the cell belongs.
- Wrap text increase the row height and add line breaks to the sentence and then shifts that part of the sentence to the next line within the cells that falls beyond the cell width and hence by doing this it enables the complete sentence to be displayed in that single cell.
- Using excel wrap text is advised as that part of the text that does not fall within the width of the cell will cross the border of that cell and will be displayed over the next cell, if the next cell is empty. This creates serious formatting issues.
- This is often said that why should we use the Excel Wrap Text function when we can add a line break to the sentence?
- The answer to this is quite simple, as adding a line break is manual work and require user time. However, Wrap text automatically inserts a line breaks to that part of the sentence that cannot be displayed in the single cell. This feature is so automatic that it will adjust the line break if any changes are made to the width of the cell.
Things to Remember Wrap Text in Excel
- Wrap text in excel will not work on Cells that are merged.
- Wrap text function will not work if the width of the cell is already more than the width of the sentence that is entered into that cell. In this case, we need to use line break if we need the format of wrap text.
- This feature might not work if “Height of Row” is fixed manually. In this case, we need to change the Row height to “Automatic row height” function.
You can download this Wrap Text Excel template here – Wrap Text Excel Template
This has been a guide to Wrap Text in Excel. Here we discuss how to Wrap text in excel using shortcut keys for wrapping the text along with practical examples and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –