Books By Swami Vivekananda
Swami Vivekananda, the holy and divine spirit needs no introduction. The global village knows him as a Hindu saint, a yoga guru, a philosopher, a teacher, a writer, and an extraordinary speaker. Below is the list of books written by Swami Vivekananda –
- Jnana Yoga: The Yoga of Knowledge ( Get this book )
- Karma Yoga: The Yoga of Action ( Get this book )
- Raja Yoga: Conquering the Internal Nature ( Get this book )
- My Master ( Get this book )
- Swami Vivekananda on Himself ( Get this book )
- Teachings of Swami Vivekananda ( Get this book )
- Meditations and its Methods ( Get this book )
- The Master as I Saw Him: The Life of The Swami Vivekananda ( Get this book )
- Vivekananda ( Get this book )
Let us discuss each of the Swami Vivekananda books in detail along with its key takeaways and reviews.
#1 – Jnana Yoga: The Yoga of Knowledge
The book is a collection of lectures by Swami Vivekananda. Jnana is a Sanskrit word, which means Knowledge. Jnana Yoga shows the path to wisdom and describes the philosophy of Hinduism and Vedanta, the knowledge of Vedas and Upanishads.
- Book describes Bhagwat Gita in a modern scientific manner.
- Knowledge is the ultimate goal.
- Freedom is the object of Jnana Yoga.
#2 – Bhakti Yoga: The Yoga of Love and Devotion
The book brings you the spiritual link to god. Bhakti means devotion. Swamiji says that the most direct, shortest, and simplest way to experience the divine is through Bhakti Yoga.
- Nothing else is attractive; nothing else holds the attention, except the beloved God; all else is meaningless.
- Surrender yourself to God by worship, rituals, and prayers.
- Channel your emotions into unconditional love and devotion.
#3 – Karma Yoga: The Yoga of Action
Swami Vivekananda Book Review:
The book is based on various concepts of Karma Yoga described in the holy Bhagwat Gita. In the practice of Vedanta, it is said that we have the duty to work and our right to work as hard as we can, but we don’t have a right to the results of our actions.
- Shows the right path to perform Karma (the rightful actions).
- One’s karma influences his future.
- Offer results of your actions to god; it will purify your soul.
#4 – Raja Yoga: Conquering the Internal Nature
Swami Vivekananda Book Review:
The book is a wide-ranged subjective content where Swamiji interprets Patanjali’s yoga sutras. The book is basically designed for the audience of the west. Swamiji and his teachings highly influenced the people of the west bout their understanding of Yoga.
- Shows the path of meditation and mind control techniques.
- Describes the Raja Yoga philosophies in a scientific manner.
- Methods for better concentration, physical development and liberation of the soul from the bondage of body.
#5 – My Master
The book is a reflection of two lectures of Swamiji delivered in England and New York in tribute to his master Saint Shri Ramakrishna Paramhansa. Swamiji says, “if there was even a single word of truth, a single word to spirituality in his lectures, he owed it to his master-Ramakrishna, and only the mistakes were his own.
- Explore the experiences of Swamiji with his guru Ramakrishna.
- Book reveals the glorious lineage of acharyas in Bharat.
- Swamiji presents the spiritual superiority of Hinduism to the west.
#6 – Swami Vivekananda on Himself
The book can be considered as an autobiography of Swami Vivekananda. However, it is not written in the format of an autobiography but is a compilation of various lectures of Swamiji delivered during his world travel and numerous letters he wrote.
- Get a glimpse of the divine personality, Swami Vivekananda.
- A chronologically arranged documentation of selected notes and lectures of Swamiji.
- Swamiji says “he whose joy is only in himself, whose desires are only in himself, he has learned his lessons”.
#7 – Teachings of Swami Vivekananda
Swami Vivekananda Book Review:
A comprehensive collection of lectures and sayings by Swamiji in the genre of philosophy, religion, and spirituality. Swamiji stressed on different forms of religion and its importance and impact on education, character building, and global social issues.
- In a conflict between heart and brain, follow your heart.
- The perfectly unselfish person is the most successful
- The greatest religion is to be true to your own nature. Have faith in yourself.
#8 – Meditations and its Methods
the book brings together the complete works of Swamiji and his thoughts on meditation and its methods. It has two sections that discuss different methods of meditations vis. 1.) Meditation according to Yoga and 2.) Mediation, according to Vedanta.
- Book targets the ‘truth’ seekers and meditation practitioners.
- Get your reach into your deep insights through meditation.
- Swamiji through this book teaches meditation and its methods with authority.
#9 – The Master as I Saw Him
The Life of The Swami Vivekananda
Author: Sister Nivedita
The classic text is drafted by Sister Nivedita about Swami Vivekananda himself and her experiences with Swamiji. The book is basically a biography of Swami Vivekananda in the words of his close disciple.
- Great and humble description of Swamiji’s life.
- The book brings Indian spirituality to the west.
- An intelligent summary of the teachings of Swami Vivekananda.
#10 – Vivekananda
Author: Swami Nikhilananda
A wonderful and comprehensive biography of Swami Vivekananda by Swami Nikhilananda covers his important teachings and contains his rare photographs.
- The author describes Swamiji as the first spiritual and cultural ambassador of Hinduism to the west.
- Swamiji propagated the message of unity of mankind and the harmony of religions.
- Swamiji takes India’s ancient spirituality to the west and brings the scientific and industrial outlook back to the nation.
Here is the list of books written by Swami Vivekananda. Here we provide some of the top books created by Swami Vivekananda & a sneak peek at what those books propose & takeaways. You may refer to the following books to learn more –
- Business Analytics and Intelligence Books
- Top Books Of Karl Marx
- Top Warren Buffett Books
- Tony Robbins Books
- Top 11 Best MBA Admission Books
AMAZON ASSOCIATE DISCLOSURE
WallStreetMojo is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.