10 Best Negotiation Books [Updated 2021]
By definition, negotiation is the process through which two parties have a dialogue with each other and reach an outcome that is beneficial to both of them. Below is the list of books on negotiation skills that you must read in 2021 –
- Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In ( Get this book )
- Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People
- Getting to Yes with Yourself: How to Get What You Truly Want ( Get this book )
- Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It ( Get this book )
- Getting Past No ( Get this book )
- Getting More: How to Negotiate to Achieve Your Goals in the Real World ( Get this book )
- Negotiation Genius: How to Overcome Obstacles and Achieve Brilliant Results at the Bargaining Table and Beyond ( Get this book )
- Why Women Don’t Ask: The High Cost of Avoiding Negotiations – And Positive Strategies for Change ( Get this book )
- Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade ( Get this book )
- Negotiating the Impossible: How to Break Deadlocks and Resolve Ugly Conflicts ( Get this book )
Let us discuss each of the negotiation skills books in detail along with its key takeaways and reviews.
#1 – Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In
This negotiation skills book was originally written 35 years ago in the year 1981. It was a best-selling non-fiction book, written by Roger Fisher and William L. Ury. Since then, it has been updated a few times. Its 1991 update was co-authored by Bruce Patton, and the book has appeared on the Business Week bestseller list for many years.
This edition is for you if you are a beginner in the world of negotiations. It makes your concepts of negotiation clear and makes you understand how great negotiators think. This edition takes examples to make you aware of what mistakes you could be prone to while going through the process of negotiation. You would never forget to avoid these mistakes because the book teaches these lessons by providing real-life examples.
- It discusses every basic lesson that any negotiator would have ever learned.
- This negotiation book insists on things like not bargaining over positions, keeping people separate from the problem, focusing on objective criteria, and getting the other side to play.
- It also explains the famous idea of the best alternative to a negotiated agreement.
- These concepts are illustrated in such a simplified manner that if you go through them just once, you would be as good as knowing how to negotiate. It’s a must-read!
#2 – Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People
Authored by G. Richard Shell and published in association with Penguin House of Publishing in year 2001.
The author has said that negotiation depends on 90% upon the preparation of the negotiators. There were many misconceptions around the concept of negotiation and bargaining, which she has tried to address by providing various stories and a stepwise overall review of the negotiation and bargaining process.
Shell has written it extremely well and provided many concrete examples in her publication. Further, a detailed and methodical strategy has been laid out by the author for improving your negotiation skills, and a thorough assessment is provided in the appendix for determining your own unique style and preferences.
- Highlight by the author on the hidden patterns and psychology of the people that govern their bargaining skills
- Various grave danger situations, including hostage situations, business deals at high stakes, etc., have been explained as stories to provide the real-life scenario of bargaining.
- A total review of the negotiation process from preparation to closing.
#3 – Getting to Yes with Yourself: How to Get What You Truly Want
The author William Ury is quite renowned for writing about the art of negotiation. Getting to Yes with Yourself was originally published in association with HarperCollins on October 4, 2016. This book is a rather short one and includes approximately 208 pages only.
4.9 (1,067 ratings) 250+ Courses | 40+ Projects | 1000+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
This book has been written by one of the most influential experts on negotiation. It has been recognized as the Bestselling Negotiation Book by the New York Times. In this edition, the author says that you shouldn’t expect the other party to get convinced by your arguments unless you aren’t convinced by those arguments. A practical and effective way of explaining the things makes the reading of this negotiation book a wonderful and interactive experience.
- Reference to all types of life experiences by diversely distributed people among managers, government officials, workers, lawyers, etc.
- Taking from the author’s view expressed in his books, the author has mentioned that the best way to find the cause of unsuccessful agreement or unsatisfying relationships is to survey yourself regarding your thought process. You should try to change the natural tendency to react in a way, which doesn’t serve your own true interest many times. Attacking and controlling this tendency can result in a big-time opportunity.
- He has provided a seven-step method of reaching an agreement with the other party, dramatically improving the quality of negotiation.
#4 – Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It
This is one of the practical situation oriented books and is a bestselling book authored by Chris Voss, Tahl Raz. It was published recently in 2017 in association with Random House publishing.
The author has provided some really noteworthy information for the readers at the time he reached the pinnacle of his profession, being the FBI’s lead international kidnapping negotiator. Taking emotional intelligence and intuition to the next level, Never Split the Difference gives you the competitive edge in any discussion.
- Revealing the skills that helped the author and his colleagues in better negotiations.
- Laying down nine principles, which are effective to make you more persuasive in both professional and personal life.
#5 – Getting Past No
Written by William Ury and was originally published in 1991. It is published in association with Random House Inc and includes approximately 189 pages.
Many people face that awkward and discreditable situation where they have to listen to NO from someone. It helps readers to understand the process of negotiations under different and difficult situations and guides how to stay cool under pressure situations.
- Here, you can get to know the handling of pressure and understanding the importance of learning negotiation.
- You will get to learn how to deal with underhanded tactics, finding mutually agreeable options, and standing up without provoking opposition.
#6 – Getting More: How to Negotiate to Achieve Your Goals in the Real World
Getting More, written by Stuart Diamond, was originally published in 2010. This edition is published in association with Penguin and includes approximately 400 pages.
In Getting More, negotiation expert, Stuart Diamond reveals the real secrets behind getting more in any negotiation – whatever “more” means to you. Getting More is accessible, jargon-free, innovative, and it works!
- You will find tricks on how to handle the unpredictable and how to take the discussions in light of the unpredictable.
- At every point of life, you will find yourself negotiating for the wants and likes of yourself, and your emotions might affect your bargaining skill.
#7 – Negotiation Genius: How to Overcome Obstacles and Achieve Brilliant Results at the Bargaining Table and Beyond
Negotiation Genius, written by Deepak Malhotra and Max H. Bazerman, was originally published in 2014 May. It is published in association with Tantor Media, Inc.
One of the most recommended books by the negotiation experts. The authors have thrown light on the behavioural aspects of human life and have reflected on his real-life experiences with business clients. He has used his experience to demonstrate the preparation and execution of a well-driven negotiation.
- It gives you detailed points, especially the talking points that will work in the real world.
- The reader will be ready with an action plan of the negotiation and bargaining processes, decided on how to react and what to do after they complete reading of this negotiation book. It will help you make yourself a negotiation expert or a negotiation genius!
- A situation of negotiating from the position of weakness gives you an edge in negotiating and bargaining scenarios.
#8 – Why Women Don’t Ask: The High Cost of Avoiding Negotiations – And Positive Strategies for Change
Why Women Don’t Ask, written by Linda Babcock, Sara Laschever, was originally published in 2003. This negotiation book was published in association with Piatkus. Most probably, a working woman or a female character, who desires to start her career, should read this book to understand why women seldom ask and sacrifice a million things till the end of their career.
The author, who is a Professor of Economics, visiting faculty for Harvard University, has been a specialist in the special situations negotiation and dispute resolution. This book, when published in 2003, made a controversial entrance in the negotiating experts’ world but soon, it was widely recognized by its readers who applauded the author’s remarkable observations on real-world situations.
- Detailed research in psychology, sociology, economics, and organizational behaviour gives an understanding of the minds of the working women class.
- There are various situations of real-world interviews and cases where women seldom ask for what they need and want and deserve.
#9 – Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade
Written by Robert B. Cialdini, was originally published in 2016, in association with Random House. Establishing the importance of persuasion in bargaining and negotiating situations is the main focus of this negotiation book.
Based on various case studies, the author has drawn attention to the human psychology of bargaining. He has delivered a message to the readers, where he has given the connection of human psychology with the skills of persuasion and negotiation.
- Various case studies and stories help the reader to get into the observer’s shoes and to understand how human psychology changes from the time before, during, and after negotiation.
- Persuaders succeed in their negotiations not only because of what they say or how they react, but also what they do before the discussion
#10 – Negotiating the Impossible: How to Break Deadlocks and Resolve Ugly Conflicts
Written by Deepak Malhotra, was originally published in 2016 August, in association with Harper Collins. Establishing the importance of persuasion in bargaining and negotiating situations is the main focus of this negotiation book.
Breaking down the mentality of a good negotiator, the author has described what a good negotiator shall do before sitting at the negotiation table, how a person should handle the process and lead the discussion while mapping the negotiation and how to use the power of empathy.
- Mention of various historic events and the stories behind them has been provided in this book, to give in detail a view of fascinating real-life negotiations.
- A Process of negotiations does not only start when a person sits at the table; rather, it starts way before it, and how the mentality and working of the minds of negotiators go in such situations has also been given by the author in this negotiation skills book.
- Applying everyday life scenarios to more complex business scenarios, the author has demonstrated that though the level of negotiating play has increased, the principles which govern the negotiation are still the same.
This has been a guide to Books on Negotiation Skills you must read in 2021. Here we discuss how these books can help you establish the importance of negotiation along with key takeaways and reviews. You may also have a look at the following articles –
- Best Job Interview Books
- Best Consulting Books
- Best Management Books
- Best Business Book
- Top 10 Best Books By Swami Vivekananda
AMAZON ASSOCIATE DISCLOSURE
WallStreetMojo is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.