Top 15 Personality Development Books [Updated 2023]
Developing or changing the personality is challenging as any person’s behavior, attitude, and communication abilities are since childhood. Below is the list of books on personality development that you must read in 2023:
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People ( Get this book )
- Awaken the Giant Within ( Get this book )
- You Are a Badass ( Get this book )
- The Success Principles ( Get this book )
- The Power of Full Engagement ( Get this book )
- The 16 Personality Types: Profiles, Theory, & Type Development ( Get this book )
- Personality Development ( Get this book )
- The Alter Ego Effect: The Power of Secret Identities to Transform Your Life ( Get this book )
- Social and Personality Development ( Get this book )
- The Development of Shyness and Social Withdrawal ( Get this book )
- Seven Times Down, Eight Times Up ( Get this book )
- The Road Back to You: An Enneagram Journey to Self-Discovery ( Get this book )
- The 5 Personality Patterns ( Get this book )
- The Art and Science of Personality Development ( Get this book )
- The Development of Personality: Seminars in Psychological Astrology ( Get this book )
Let us discuss each personality development book in detail, along with its key takeaways and reviews.
#1 – The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
About the book
This international bestseller is one of the best personality books that focuses on how you can identify and build on your good personal and professional habits, which will differentiate you from an average person.
The author states that everyone has habits – some are good, some are bad, and some have little to no impact on our life. The book doesn’t ask you to do away with the bad ones. It simply helps you to build on the good ones. The author suggests seven synergistic habits that complement each other in different ways. These habits will help you take control of your life, make smarter decisions, manage social relationships, overcome bad habits, enhance productivity, etc. The underlying message in the book is that changing your habits doesn’t just change how you see the world but also changes how the world sees you, which can be the difference between success and failure.
- It will help you become more professionally and personally effective.
- If you can practice these habits, you will see the world differently and learn about the path to a successful life.
#2 – Awaken the Giant Within
by Tony Robbins
About the book
It is a step-by-step guide that teaches the basics of self-mastery that helps discover true purpose and take control of life and destiny.
The book is considered one of the best self-help books ever. It introduces powerful, life-changing techniques that can improve your life beyond imagination. But the real problem is that these methods are more challenging to implement or practice. The author has used a mix of Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP), Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), and existential psychotherapy to arrive at ideas that can be easily understood and applied in real life. He has also drawn many examples from his own life so you can connect with the issues as a reader. In short, it is a comprehensive book that suggests everlasting philosophies that can help you discover your passion in life and reach your true goals.
- It is a practical and motivational guide that will help you with decision-making to reach your goals.
- It offers helpful tips and solutions to some of the most critical life problems.
#3 – You Are a Badass
by Jen Sincero
About the book
This book is a practical guide that will help you identify the behaviors that sabotage your life, and then it will aid you in changing these behaviors to take you where you wish to reach by the end of your life.
This book will teach you a lot of philosophies and share many beliefs you must know to lead a badass life. It can be very interesting and engaging for someone new to self-help books. However, if you are one of those who has read a lot of self-help category books, then some of the concepts discussed in the book might seem familiar to you as you must have already read them somewhere else. What also makes this book different from the other self-help books is the author’s unique style of narration, where she moves onto a topic indirectly but in a very interesting manner. To sum it up, this book will help you achieve your life goals and dreams.
- If you are a newbie to the self-help category, this book is a must-read.
- It will help you overcome the mental barriers that may be holding you back from realizing your dreams.
#4 – The Success Principles
by Mike Piper
About the book
This book provides the blueprint of the route you need to follow to achieve the desired goal. Interestingly, the blueprint is prepared based on the success stories of some of the world’s most remarkable people.
This book is an excellent book that coaches you on how to build your confidence, manage daily challenges, how to be passionate about life, etc. It will not just help you find your life’s purpose but also push you to realize your dreams. Besides collecting many good ideas, it also narrates 64 timeless principles inspired by the real-life events of some of the most successful men and women throughout history. If you can practice the suggested principles every day, there is no doubt that you will achieve whatever you want in your life.
- After reading the book, you will only gain from the stories of these successful men and women.
- It intends to highlight that success starts from your mindset. You can never succeed if you don’t believe you can succeed.
#5 – The Power of Full Engagement
by Jim Loehr
About the book
This ground-breaking book provides step-by-step guidance that will help you manage your energy better both on and off the job, which is very important in the current world.
The book revolves around the idea that it is not time management that can help your work-life balance. Rather, you can manage your energy, translating into high performance at work and a healthy and happy family life. In simple terms, the author says that the number of hours you put in a work doesn’t give you the desired result, but the quality of those hours does. That can only happen if you enjoy your life outside work, where you can recover from work-related stress. It would help if you understood that you are a human being, not a computer.
- It is an interesting book that states that you should focus on managing your energy instead of your time.
- Although primarily focused on white-collar workers, the principles discussed in the book are more general.
#6 – The 16 Personality Types
Profiles, Theory, & Type Development
Author: Dr. A.J. Drenth
Deep diving into the Meyers-Briggs typology, this book aims to explain the mechanism of the types of personality in a very detailed manner. As a result, it can help understand the rationale behind people’s behavior in certain situations to deal with it in the best possible way.
- Compels to identify ourselves and clarify our own identity.
- Rooted in the theories of Jung and Myers-Briggs.
- Features of each personality type.
- Book provides a detailed examination of the development or change in personality over the lifespan.
#7 – Personality Development
Author: Swami Vivekananda
This book is an excellent compilation of the complete works of Swami VivekanandaComplete Works Of Swami VivekanandaSwami Vivekananda, the holy and divine spirit needs no introduction. The global village knows him as a Hindu saint, a yoga guru, a philosopher, a teacher, a writer, and an extraordinary speaker. and aims to guide the readers to attain self-realization, which is the ultimate goal of life. With illustrations and guidelines, the book is instructive and provocative enough to make the reader feel the sense of urgency to change their personality for the better.
- Covers the different layers of personality.
- Ways of controlling negative emotions.
- Teach to develop a sense of equality.
- Unfolds the power of concentration.
- Explains why and how pleasure is not the goal.
#8 – The Alter Ego Effect
The Power of Secret Identities to Transform Your Life
Author: Todd Herman
Unlike many other self-help books that suggest we step into an improvised version of ourselves, this book leaps forward by explaining why the new version is so important and how to put that into play at different stages of life.
- Insight on how to create and control alter ego.
- Secrets behind the top athletes and executives on using alter egos.
- Using creative imagination to find the inner hero and bring it out to the world with the help of alter ego.
- Overcoming negativity, self-doubt, and insecurity that hold us back.
#9 – Social and Personality Development
Author: David R. Shaffer
A well-written, self-exploratory book with more than enough examples. It tries to connect with the reader with its easy and smooth flow, covering the major theories and concepts of social psychology and human development.
- Focused on factors influencing changes in personality in the early ages and adolescence.
- Causes, processes, and complexities of developmental change.
- Emphasis on cultural influences on personality development.
- Based on test theories and field research.
#10 – The Development of Shyness and Social Withdrawal
Author: Kenneth H. Rubin, Robert J. Coplan
This book covers an up-to-date review of the major aspects of socioemotional development as a definitive reference to shyness and social withdrawal. The chapters range from the biological moderators of withdrawals to contextual and clinical implications. It is a good read for those who seek to get a deeper understanding of peer interactions and shyness.
- Development, causes, and consequences of social withdrawal.
- Role of biological, family, and interpersonal processes in shyness.
- The positive aspects of being unsocial.
- The impact of social withdrawal on peer relationships and the professional front.
#11 – Seven Times Down, Eight Times Up
Landing on Your Feet in an Upside Down World
Author: Alan Gettis
Reading this personality development book is like being gently awakened, refreshed, and carefully guided toward enjoying the present. The book tries to reach the realm of self-realization, self-responsibility, and self-healing in a very practical and realistic way with the help of interesting short stories.
- Lessons to learn acceptance, get rid of unwanted emotions, heal, renew, and change
- A hundred brief stories that convey valuable insights to help feel better and function differently in difficult situations
- Help find the path to enlightened happiness.
- Enlightenment is the sense of increasing knowledge, and awareness is transformational.
#12 – The Road Back to You
An Enneagram Journey to Self-Discovery
Author: Ian Morgan Cron
This book provides an engaging introduction and a clear explanation of the ancient personality typing tool Enneagram. The author describes how this personality typing tool differs from others, like Myers-Briggs. It focuses on how identifying strengths and weaknesses, a special gift, and the deepest fear are important while understanding ourselves.
- The book provides insight into an ancient personality typing system to describe how humans are connected.
- Spiritual discovery helps us become wiser and more compassionate.
- Teaches a sense of empathy apart from self-discovery.
- Understanding how one operates at its best or worst behavior.
#13 – The 5 Personality Patterns
Your Guide to Understanding Yourself and Others and Developing Emotional Maturity
Author: Steven Kessler
A well-written self-help book that lets us look inside the people to find out their motivation to influence them and communicate with them successfully. The book tries to give a perspective for true change that one can use daily for references in our normal livelihood.
- Developing emotional maturity
- Discovering what motivates and matters to people to interact with them effectively.
- Developing a true-to-life map for self-improvement
- The map is on the body’s core and energy flow.
#14 – The Art and Science of Personality Development
Author: Dan P. McAdams
This book is an integrative personality development from early life through old age. Based on research in neuroscience, traits, motives, goals, and narrative identity, the book offers scientifically defensible answers to questions about human nature. The author invites readers to introspect and ask how they came to be who they are.
- Development of three distinct layers of personality:
- The social actor expresses emotional and behavioral traits.
- The motivated agent who pursues goals and values,
- The autobiographical actor who constructs a personal story
#15 – The Development of Personality:
Seminars in Psychological Astrology
Author: Liz Greene
An interesting transcript of popular seminars conducted by the author, this book is a perfect blend of psychology, personality, and astrology. It is highly recommended for intermediate or advanced studies on astrology.
- Covers the stages of childhood, parental marriage, and subpersonalities.
- Examples and insights explain the deeper meanings of archetypes found on planets.
- Unfolding personalities expressed through progressions.
- Insights on the implications of planets and the sun on people’s lives.
This article has been a guide to Personality Development Books. Here, we list the top 15 personality development books to read in 2023, its review, and key takeaways. In addition, you may refer to the following books to learn more:-
- Communication Books
- Best Biographies Books of All Time
- Entrepreneurship Books
- Best Project Management Books
AMAZON ASSOCIATE DISCLOSURE
WallStreetMojo is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.