List of Top 10 GMAT Preparation Books
If you dream of higher education, sitting for a GMAT entrance can open many doors for you. And a great starting point would be flipping through the best prep books on GMAT. Below is the list of books for GMAT Preparation –
- The Official Guide to the GMAT Review Bundle + Question Bank + Video ( Get this book )
- Complete GMAT Strategy Guide Set: Manhattan Prep GMAT Strategy Guides ( Get this book )
- Ace the GMAT: Master the GMAT in 40 Days ( Get this book )
- GMAT for Dummies ( Get this book )
- 1,138 GMAT Practice Questions: Princeton Review (Graduate School Test Preparation) ( Get this book )
- GMAT Test Prep ( Get this book )
- The GMAT Roadmap: Expert Advice Through Test Day ( Get this book )
- 30 Day GMAT Success ( Get this book )
- Franklin GMAT Vocab Builder ( Get this book )
- GMAT Clarity: The Official Guide for GMAT Self-Study ( Get this book )
Let us discuss each of the GMAT preparation books in detail along with its key takeaways and reviews.
#1 – The Official Guide to the GMAT Review Bundle + Question Bank + Video
by GMAC (Graduate Management Admission Council)
Who can guide better than the council itself?
This is a complete course on GMAT. If you’re serious about GMAT and want to score higher, it’s the finest resource you will ever find. This guide has been used by teachers and trainers, also people who are looking for cracking GMAT in the first try. This bundle has everything you need to study GMAT questions & answers, and it will show you how GMAT thinks (the pattern of questions).
The only pitfall of this bundle is this doesn’t provide any test-taking strategies. So for GMAT strategies, you need to look for other preparation books. This is curated and prepare mainly for beginner students, and if you can read this bundle along with a great book, you will be very well prepared for taking the exam. The price of the bundle is also very reasonable for every student.
- You will receive this bundle in the form of 3 books and actual questions from GMAT exams. Plus, you will also receive a GMAT review guide, a quantitative review guide, and also verbal review guide.
- Along with the bundle, you will also receive over 1500+ questions in question banks and online access videos.
- This bundle is 1440 pages. So you can understand how comprehensive the material is.
#2 – Complete GMAT Strategy Guide Set
Manhattan Prep GMAT Strategy Guides by Manhattan Prep
This bundle is written by instructors who have scored 99th percentile for students who want to score the same.
If you’re starting out on your preparation for GMAT, this bundle would seem invaluable to you. But why should you buy this bundle when there are a lot of bundles written by several others? This mammoth bundle consists of 10 guides of 1912 pages, which will cover every area you need to learn for scoring above 700+ in GMAT.
This bundle doesn’t emphasize the strategy of how you can score 700+ plus, but it will provide all the tools and resources to you so that you can succeed. From readers all over the world mentioned that this bundle could push you from scoring a mediocre 600 to over 700+ (rarely any good school accepts around 600 scores in GMAT).
Many students have scored over 700+ just by studying these 10 guides and nothing else. These guides are written just for the students who are beginning to prepare for GMAT.
In this bundle, you will get everything that you need to be ready for GMAT. Have a look at the books this bundle includes –
- Number Properties GMAT Strategy Guide
- Fractions, Decimals, & Percent GMAT Strategy Guide
- Algebra GMAT Strategy Guide
- Word Problems GMAT Strategy Guide
- Geometry GMAT Strategy Guide
- Critical Reasoning GMAT Strategy Guide
- Reading Comprehension GMAT Strategy Guide
- Sentence Correction GMAT Strategy Guide &
- Integrated Reasoning & Essays GMAT Strategy Guide
Along with all these editions, you will also receive one year of access to online computer-adaptive question banks and GMAT practice exams.<< Get this book >>
#3 – Ace the GMAT: Master the GMAT in 40 Days
by Brandon Royal
This book is unique. If you’re struggling with the strategy of GMAT, this is the right resource for you.
No one book can be sufficient for a sound preparation. If you’ve found a book on study areas, then you need to find another one that will guide you in setting strategies for the exam. It is of 420 pages and will guide you throughout. It has covered practice questions, what sort of questions you can expect in GMAT, and also provides a detailed study planner which helps you zero in what’s necessary to prepare on a daily basis.
4.9 (1,067 ratings) 250+ Courses | 40+ Projects | 1000+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
It is a great addition to your GMAT library if you’re serious about the exam. It is a sort of course which has been written with the average student in mind. But the best thing about the book is you can also use it for teaching GMAT courses to students. Many trainers of GMAT have been utilizing the materials of this publication to guide their students. In a nutshell, if you’re planning to appear for GMAT, this is a must-read for you.
- There are many sections that stand out. However, the best part is a detailed 40-day study plan, which helps you stay on course and maintain discipline.
- You would be able to understand the right type of GMAT questions and also be able to practice.
- It has provided a great analysis of argument essay (cause & effect, representatives, implementation, comparison & analogy, evidence, etc.).
#4 – GMAT for Dummies
by Lisa Zimmer Hatch and Scott A. Hatch
It will provide you a combination of text plus strategy to ace your GMAT exam.
You should not use it as a textbook. Use it as a reference book because this book is great for recapitulation, but not exactly for comprehensive reading! We included it is in the list because you need a book that explains the GMAT exam in detail, how to take it, how to prepare for it, what areas to focus, and the purpose behind targeted segments in GMAT. The information provided by this guide won’t be found in any other book.
This will act as a great supplement book for your textbook, and you will be able to clear the exam with clarity and preparation. And you can also use it at the end of your preparation (exactly before the exam), as this will help you practice what you already know and brush off some dust to remain sharp.
- In this 360 pages book, you will find ten writing errors to avoid, an explanation of the test’s format, how to calm your nerve, how to make an educated guess, ways to save time during the exam, and a lot more other useful sections.
- You will get four important areas covered too – verbal section, analytical writing, mathematics, and critical reasoning.
- Along with this book, you will also receive a CD where you can take 5 simulated GMAT tests.
#5 – 1,138 GMAT Practice Questions: Princeton Review
Graduate School Test Preparation
As the title suggests, this book is meant for practice.
Practice doesn’t make perfect, but practice can help you improve. And that is exactly this book is for. You need to pick this book up if you want to fool-proof your preparation. Many students have mentioned that even after devouring into “GMAT bundles,” they’re unable to score higher. Why? Because they lack enough practice. If you feel the same, this book’s 1138 questions will be perfect for many practice sessions.
You can switch from quantitative questions to verbal and from verbal to integrated reasoning. You will not only get a question bank filled with relevant questions; you will also be able to access online questions for a realistic experience. We’re not suggesting that this is the only book you should read. You can read a textbook (any of the bundles on GMAT), a strategy book, and this one for a practice session. Set aside some time every day, open this book up, find a section, set a timer, and start practising.
- You will get extensive practice sections for quantitative questions, integrated reasoning, and verbal questions. Along with that, you will receive online questions to get a simulated experience.
- You will also be able to go through 60+ drills, which will strengthen your grip over the subject areas and will repair any loop-hole in any subject.
- The purpose of this book is to supplement practice with understanding core concepts. Under 800 pages, it has done a great job.
#6 – GMAT Test Prep
GMAT Secrets Study Guide: Complete Review, Practice Tests, Video Tutorials by GMAT Exam Secrets Test Prep Team
What if you can get all the guides for GMAT along with video tutorials? Will you succeed in GMAT? You bet.
Don’t look at the page number to judge the worth of this book. It is a gem because it only includes things that are of utmost importance and discard all the fluff. This book is very comprehensive and offers a detailed review of GMAT exams.
It also goes on analyzing the GMAT tests section by section. As a result, you would be able to quickly understand what to read, how to approach GMAT, and what pitfalls to avoid. Along with that, you will also get practice questions where you can implement whatever you learned.
Plus, you will receive 118 video tutorials which will guide you step by step. Now after looking at the material of the book, let’s look at the price. It’s so cheap if we compare the value it provides. Moreover, it’s organized in such a way that you can browse through the entire book within a week. This is very effective if you’re looking to supplement your preparation with some last-minute tools – it will provide the same.
- If you need a short guide which includes all the critical information like concepts, principles, procedures, vocabulary that GMAC expects you to master, your search ends here.
- You will get a detailed review of the entire GMAT tests, review of the quantitative test, review of integrated reasoning, review of analytical writing assessment, analysis of the verbal test, and also comprehensive practice questions for thorough preparation.
#7 – The GMAT Roadmap: Expert Advice Through Test Day
Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guides by Manhattan GMAT
Looking for a go-to guide that will help you see the big picture of GMAT? This is the book you should pick.
Stop right here. If you have no idea about GMAT and how to take the test, this is the first book you should read. And it is relatively short, just 256 pages. But remember, if you have already taken the test and want to sit for GMAT to improve your score, it may not help you as much. This book is written particularly for people who have no experience in the GMAT test and want to learn everything in detail.
Starting your preparation with GMAT will help you gain clarity about the test and will make you ready for the test. If you don’t read any other strategy book and end up reading this one, other books would seem redundant to you. This guide will also help you plan for your study so that preparation doesn’t become boring (for example, don’t read for more than 2 hours at a stretch). Along with test-takers, it will also help professionals who have been training students for GMAT preparation.
- You will learn each and everything you need to know to crack GMAT. For example, you will learn about GMAT structure, how it is used by schools, the difference between GMAT & GRE, how to get organized for preparation, how to learn the content of GMAT, the big picture of GMAT sections, and assessing your progress and so on.
- It is a great reference book during GMAT preparation. It will also help you plan for your study.
- It also includes 6 free online exams to give you a simulated experience.
#8 – 30 Day GMAT Success
How I Scored 780 on the GMAT in 30 Days and How You Can Too! By Brandon Wu and Laura Pepper
It may seem like a fairy tale, but don’t go by the name, read the book to find out.
Yes, the material presented in this book will deliver, but you should remember one thing – 30 days are too little time to prepare if you want to score well. It will help you get a great score within 30 days. Our recommendation is to take more time than 30 days and use the strategies mentioned in this book to make a plan. Let’s say you have 60 days to prepare, and you know the strategies mentioned in this book; you will be good to go.
The only pitfall is it suggests that you need to study 3-4 hours for 30 days to score well, which isn’t true in reality. However, along with this, if you read a textbook, you will surely pass the exam in flying colors. And it is also a perfect guide for people who have little or no time for preparation. The idea is to take good enough time, read a textbook thoroughly, and use this strategy guide to understand how to prepare.
- If you’re looking for a quick fix without wasting any time, this is a strategy guide for you. You won’t find any fluff; only important points are covered. Thus, reading would be easy and very rewarding.
- You will also receive an “idioms cheat-sheet,” “easy reference math terminology,” “verbal and math practice questions,” and also a new section on “integrated reasoning.
#9 – Franklin GMAT Vocab Builder
4507 GMAT Words for High GMAT Score
If you read only this for verbal comprehensions, you will clear the verbal section of GMAT.
There is a huge difference between UK and US English, and if you don’t know where you may make a lot of mistakes. But this book will get you covered. It will not only teach you 4507 words for GMAT success; it will also enable you to understand the coherent meaning so that you can easily remember. It is a replica of the Franklin Vocab Builder Audio Program.
If you buy this, you will be able to download the first CD of the whole 22 CD program. Quantitative questions are easy to answer if you practice regularly since mathematics entirely depends upon understanding the logic. But verbal ability is all about remembering the right words to be able to clear the sections. The specific methods and techniques used in this book will help you ace the verbal section with ease. Better yet, if you can buy the whole audio program along with the book – it would be a great resource for clearing the verbal ability questions in GMAT.
- You will get to know more than 4500 words just by purchasing one book. Moreover, you will get to know how to remember so many words with ease. Plus, you will also get audio (first CD) at free of cost with this book.
- This is a complete guide on vocabulary. It will also help you find out the difference between US and UK spelling.
#10 – GMAT Clarity: The Official Guide for GMAT Self-Study
by Thomas Hall and Nexus Education
Have you ever done a clarity course on GMAT? This book is a course on clarity.
This is another strategy guide on GMAT. But it’s written in a completely different manner. Many readers have mentioned that they have used textbooks to prepare for GMAT, but along the way, they felt lost as they couldn’t retain most of the information. And then they discovered this particular strategy guide, which helped them create a realistic study plan, make them more disciplined to study, and evaluate the progress they have made.
And especially if you study all by yourself and decide not to do any course for GMAT, this guide would be invaluable to you. It may take a while to understand, but once you browse through the whole book, you will get an idea about how to prepare for GMAT. This will also save you a lot of time for preparation, and you would also be able to raise your score 70-100 points a month.
- If self-study is your thing, but this strategy guide and have the Manhattan/GMAC bundles handy, and you would surely score 700+ marks in GMAT.
- It will not only save you time and money (no lecture is required); it will also save you a lot of heartaches. Ask someone who has sat or GMAT and couldn’t score well!
- This edition will take around four hours to complete. And if you follow it, you will be given a study plan to finish the complete course within 64 to 308 hours.
Other Book Recommendations
- Best CPA Study Guide Books
- Best Steve Jobs Books
- Seth Godin Books
- Law Books
- Books Recommended by Elon Musk
AMAZON ASSOCIATE DISCLOSURE
WallStreetMojo is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.