Insert Shortcut in Excel
One of the key elements in becoming an expert in excel is using shortcut keys, so there is no rocket science to work quickly and productively in excel. For almost all the tasks in excel, we have shortcut keys, and one of the often performed activity is inserting a row, column, and pivot table, insert sheets, insert workbooks, etc. These are all often performed tasks, so it is important to know what are the shortcut keys to perform these tasks quickly and increase productivity in excel. In this article, we will show you how to perform insert shortcut keys in excel.
How to Insert Shortcuts in Excel?
Below is how to insert shortcut keys in excel with examples.
Example #1 – Insert Rows & Columns Shortcut
Having to insert new rows and columns in excel is a common task we all do as part of the work. In order to insert new rows and columns, we can perform shortcut keys, so these shortcut keys are very helpful to us to increase efficiency and productivity.
- For example, look at the below data table.
Assume we need to insert a new row after row number 4. Follow below steps to insert new row using excel shortcut.
- First select any of the cells in row number 5.
We have selected the A5 cell.
- After the cell selection, press the shortcut key “Shift + Space” to select the entire row.
- Now simply press the shortcut key “Ctrl and + (Plus)” to insert a new row by pushing the currently selected row to down.
There you go, a new row has been inserted.
- Assume you need to insert three rows instead of 1, then you need to select three before pressing the shortcut key.
- Now press the shortcut key “Ctrl and + (Plus)” to insert as many rows as we have selected above.
There we have three new rows, so insert shortcut key will be inserted as many rows as we have selected at the time of using the shortcut key. After performing the insert row option, if you press the F4 key again, it will repeat the last action of inserting rows, and again three more rows will be inserted.
- Similarly, we can also insert columns using shortcut keys. For example, in the same data table above, if you want to insert a column after column C, then we need to select the column after column C. So first, select any of the cells in column D.
- Cell D3 has been selected, so to select the entire column of the active cell, use the shortcut key “Ctrl + Space.”
- Once the entire column has been selected, use the insert shortcut key “Ctrl and + (Plus)” to insert a new column.
- You can apply the same logic as we have applied for inserting rows here as well. In case of inserting multiple rows, select those many columns as you would wish to insert; for example, if you want to insert 4 columns, then select those many columns first.
- Now press the insert shortcut key “Ctrl and + (Plus)” to insert 4 columns.
This is the insert shortcut key to insert new rows and columns in excelRows And Columns In ExcelA cell is the intersection of rows and columns. Rows and columns make the software that is called excel. The area of excel worksheet is divided into rows and columns and at any point in time, if we want to refer a particular location of this area, we need to refer a cell..
Example #2 – Insert New Worksheet & Workbook
If you want to insert a new worksheet or workbook, it is quite easy using shortcut keys in excel. As we keep working in excel, we may need to insert a new worksheet to have some copied data, so in that case, use the below shortcut key to insert a new sheet.
#1 – Shift + F11
The above shortcut key will insert a new worksheet in excelInsert A New Worksheet In ExcelTo add a new worksheet, go to the bottom of the screen and press the '+' button. You can also navigate to 'Home', 'Insert,' and then 'Insert Sheet' to add a new sheet..
Similarly, if you want to insert a new workbook instead of a new worksheet, then the below shortcut key will insert a new workbook.
#2 – Ctrl + N
By pressing the above shortcut key, we can insert a new workbook from the active workbook.
Things to Remember
- The opposite of inserting rows and columns is Ctrl and – (Minus Sign).
- To insert Pivot Table shortcut key is ALT + D + P + F.
This has been a guide to Excel Insert Shortcut. Here we learn how to insert rows and columns in excel by using shortcut keys along with examples and downloadable excel templates. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –