Top 3 Keyboard Shortcut Methods to Insert Row in Excel
Below are some of the shortcut methods to insert rows in excel with examples.
- Insert Row Using Shortcut Key Shift + Space
- Insert Row Using Shortcut Key Ctrl + and Dialog Box
- Insert Row Using Shortcut Key ALT + I + R
Let us now explore the workings of each of these methods with an example.
#1 Excel Insert Row Using Shortcut Shift + Space
- Step 1: Place the cursor on the A6 cell and select the 6th row by using the shortcut key Shift + Space. Once you have clicked this shortcut key it will select the entire row for you.
- Step 2: As soon as the entire row is selected press Ctrl + (plus sign).
- Step 3: This has inserted the new row instantly.
- Step 4: If you notice there is a small format option with Brush symbol. That brush stores the formatting style. Click on the drop-down of the brush to see the options.
- Step 5: This drop-down includes all the formatting styles. If you want to the newly inserted row to be formatted as the above one or below one or no formatting. Based on the format you have selected it will format the newly inserted row.
#2 Insert Row Using Shortcut Key Ctrl + and Dialog Box
- Step 1: Place the cursor on the A6 cell and press the shortcut key Ctrl +. Once you click on the shortcut key it will open up the below dialog box.
- Step 2: It will show you the option of whether you want to insert the new row by shifting cells to the right or shifting cells down or an entire row or an entire column. Choose the suitable option according to your requirements.
#3 Insert Row Using Excel Shortcut Key ALT + I + R
- Step 1: Place the cursor on the A6 cell and press the shortcut key ALT + I + R to insert a row. And then you need to select any row. You just select the cell where you want to insert a new row.
- Step 2: Press the shortcut key ALT + I + R to insert a row. This will insert a new row.
This would insert the new row by shifting the current 6th row to the seventh row.
How to Insert Multiple Rows at Once Using Shortcut Key?
We have learned the way of inserting a new row in Excel. Now we will look at how to insert many rows in Excel one go. It is important to know how many rows we need to insert.
4.9 (1,353 ratings) 35+ Courses | 120+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
Let us say I want to insert 5 rows from the 6th row. I will select 5 rows here.
Once the rows are selected press the shortcut key Ctrl + to insert. This will insert 5 new rows by shifting the selected rows to the down.
Things to Remember
- Excel Shortcut keys to insert new row are Ctrl +, ALT + I + R.
- It is important to select the number of rows we need to insert.
- Once the inserting new row is completed and if you want to repeat this task immediately you can press an F4 function key.
This has been a guide to Insert Row Shortcut in Excel. Here we discuss how to insert row keyboard shortcuts in excel with the top 3 different methods and also how to insert multiple rows using shortcut key along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –