How To Add A Calculated Field In Pivot Table?
Below are the examples of Pivot Table Calculated Field and how to insert formulas on other pivot fields.
- Step 1: Select the data that is to be used in a Pivot table.
- Step 2: Go to the ribbon and select the “Insert” Tab. From the Insert tab choose to insert a “Pivot Table”.
- Step 3: Select the Pivot Table Fields such as Salesperson to the Rows and Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 sales to the Values.
Now the Pivot Table is ready.
- Step 4: After the pivot table is inserted then go to the “Analyse tab” that will be present only if the pivot table is selected.
- Step 5: From the “Analyze tab” choose the option of “Fields, items & Sets” and select the “Calculated fields” of Pivot Table.
- Step 5: From the option of Calculated Field in the Pivot Table, Insert the formula as required in the case.
Here we have formulated a formula that will calculate the .05% commission on sales.
Using Manual Reference of Cell in the Pivot Table Formula
If we have to give a reference of cell in a formula that we can type the location as shown below.
Using GetPivotTable Function to give Reference of a Cell to a Formula
We can also choose not to enter the location of the cell manually, in this case, we can choose to insert the location by using the keyboard instead of a mouse.
This type of location (GetpivotData) is inserted if we select the location instead of typing the location of the cell manually.
Switching off the “GetPivot” table Function in a Pivot Table to have a Clean Formula
Here we need to turn off the “generate GETPIVOTDATA” option and we can simply use the formulas in the pivot table as we do in a case of simple range.
Things to Remember
- We can use some basic mathematical operations inside the calculated fields in the Pivot Table, this means that we cannot use the logical and other thread functions.
- Cell reference will not change if in case the reference is generated via the “GetPivotDate” function.
- Calculated field formulas are also a part of a pivot table.
- If there is a change in the source data then the formulas will be unchanged until the pivot table is refreshed.
This has been a guide to Pivot Table Calculated Field. Here we discuss the use of use formulas in Pivot table using calculated field along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –