Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
- Power Bi (35+)
Refreshing a pivot table means updating the pivot table with the data from its source, this can be done by three methods, one is the most popular one which is clicking on the pivot table and press ALT + F5 which will refresh out pivot table or we can go to the Data tab and click on refresh from the connections section, another most used way is we right-click on the pivot table and click refresh.
Refresh Pivot Table in Excel (Table of Contents)
- How to Refresh Pivot Table in Excel?
How to Refresh Pivot Table in Excel?
There are multiple ways to refresh the pivot table in excel.
To analyze data, summarise data we apply pivot tables. If there is any additional or deletion in the main data pivot table will not recognize the changes automatically. We need to refresh all the pivot tables to update the pivot to the new database.
Assume you have 10 pivot tables and refreshing each one of the pivot tables manually takes hell lot of time. I will explain you the ways of the refreshing pivot table and make the report real-time and reliable.
Here are the top 4 methods to refresh Pivot Table in Excel
#1 – Changing the Data Source Refresh Pivot Table
Step 1: I have sales data from different countries.
Step 2: Let me apply the pivot table to this data.
Step 3: Now I am going back to my pivot table data and adding a few more data to the table.
I have added five lines of the data. If I go and see the table, it is not showing the updated values.
Let me audit what is the range of the pivot table data.
Step 4: Select the pivot table and go to Options and Change Data Source.
Step 5: Once you click on Change Data Source this will take you to the data sheet along with the below box.
Look at the range it has. It has the data range from A1 to B23, whereas my data is there from A1 to B28.
Step 6: In the same dialogue box, change the source data from A1 to B23 to A1 to B28.
Step 7: Now click on OK it will add the new data to the pivot table and refresh it.
#2 – Right Click on Pivot Table and Refresh Pivot Table Excel
I am taking the previous data as an example. Here I am not adding any amount of data to the list rather I am just changing the existing numbers.
Here on cell B10, I have to change the value from 677434 to 750000.
If I go to the pivot table still it is showing the old values for the country France.
The new value for the country France supposed to be 1638228 but it is showing the old value only.
We need to do one simple thing here.
Right click on the Refresh Pivot Table.
Click on the Refresh button to update the new values.
Okay, now our Pivot Table is showing updated values.
Now the question is if I have 10-pivot tables can I update each one of them going to each pivot table and update.
We have the shortcut to refresh all the pivot tables in excel one single shot. Below is the shortcut key to refresh all the pivot tables once.
We can find this option under the Data tab.
#3 – Using Auto Refresh Pivot Table Excel VBA Code.
Ok, we know how to refresh pivot table to new values. Whenever we change the values we every time we need to update manually.
If the data changes frequently and updating each and every pivot table is not that easy. We are humans and we tend to forget at times.
To come of that danger we have a VBA code, which can update or refresh the pivot table in excel as soon as there are any changes.
Follow this section of the article to learn the VBA code that refreshes the pivot table in excel automatically.
Step 1: Go to the Developer tab and click on Visual Basic.
Step 2: Click on Visual Basic. Go to This Workbook and double click on that.
Step 3: From the dropdown list select Workbook.
Step 4: Once you have selected the workbook it will automatically create one macro for you. Ignore that.
Step 5: From the Right-hand side drop down select Sheet Change. It will insert one more macro for you.
Step 6: Now copy and paste the below code the macro that has created for the second time.
What this code will do is if there is any change in the sheet it will refresh the pivot table in excel automatically for you.
Note: Once you copy and paste the code, you have to save the workbook as Macro-Enabled Workbook.
#4 – Refresh Pivot Table When you Open the Workbook
We can refresh the pivot table in excel while opening the workbook.
Right Click on any of the pivot table and select Pivot Table in Excel option
Click on this option
Go to Data and check Refresh Data when opening the file.
This will refresh the pivot table in excel whenever you open the excel file.
Things to Remember
- You can choose any of the above methods to refresh your pivot tables.
- In case of VBA code you, need to save your workbook as the macro-enabled workbook.
- The easiest for me to refresh is the shortcut ALT + A + R +A
- You can rename your pivot table under pivot options.
- In VBA code, you need to mention each of the pivot table names in case of multiple pivot tables.
This has been a guide to Refresh Pivot Table in Excel. Here we discuss how to Refresh Pivot Table using top 4 methods in excel along with practical examples and a downloadable template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets in Excel
- Pivot Table Slicer
- Filter in a Pivot Table
- Developer Tab in Excel (Using VBA Programs)
- Starting an Excel Pivot Table
- Pivot Table Calculated Field and Formula
- How to Randomize List in Excel?
- Methods of Using Save as Shortcut in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- Auto Format Excel
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Standard Deviation in Excel