How to Refresh Pivot Table in Excel?
Below are the top 4 methods to refresh the Pivot Table in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table By Changing Data Source
- Refresh Pivot Table using Right Click Option
- Auto Refresh Pivot Table Using VBA Code
- Refresh Pivot Table When you open the Workbook
Now let us discuss each method in detail with an example –
#1 Changing the Data Source Refresh Pivot Table
Below are the steps for changing data source refresh pivot table –
- I have sales data from different countries.
- Let me apply the pivot table to this data.
- Now, I am going back to my pivot table data and adding a few more data to the table.
I have added five lines of the data. If I go and see the table, it is not showing the updated values.
Let me audit what the range of the pivot table data is.
- Select the pivot table and go to Options and Change Data Source.
- Once you click on Change Data Source, this will take you to the datasheet along with the below box.
Look at the range it has. It has the data range from A1 to B23, whereas my data is there from A1 to B28.
- In the same dialogue box, change the source data from A1 to B23 to A1 to B28.
- Now click on the OK; it will add the new data to the pivot table and refresh it.
#2 Right Click on the Pivot Table and Refresh Pivot Table Excel
I am taking the previous data as an example.
- Step 1: Here, I am not adding any amount of data to the list; rather, I am just changing the existing numbers.
- Step 2: Here on cell B10, I have to change the value from 677434 to 750000. If I go to the pivot table, it is still showing the old values for the country France.
- Step 3: The new value for the country France is supposed to be 1638228, but it is showing the old value only. We need to do one simple thing here, Right-click on the Refresh.
- Step 4: Click on the Refresh button to update the new values.
Okay, now our Pivot Table is showing updated values.
Now the question is if I have 10-pivot tables, can I update each one of them by going to each pivot table and update.
We have the shortcut to refresh all the pivot tables in excel in one single shot. Below is the shortcut key to refresh all the pivot tables once.
We can find this option under the Data tab.
#3 Using Auto Refresh Pivot Table Excel VBA Code
Ok, we know how to refresh the pivot table to new values. Whenever we change the values, we every time we need to update manually.
If the data changes frequently and updating each and every pivot table is not that easy. We are humans, and we tend to forget at times.
To come off that danger, we have a VBA code, which can update or refresh as soon as there are any changes.
Follow this section of the article to learn the VBA code that refreshes the pivot tableVBA Code That Refreshes The Pivot TableWhen we insert a pivot table in the sheet, once the data changes, pivot table data does not change itself; we need to do it manually. However, in VBA, there is a statement to refresh the pivot table, expression.refreshtable, by referencing the worksheet. in excel automatically.
- Step 1: Go to the Developer tabDeveloper TabEnabling the developer tab in excel can help the user perform various functions for VBA, Macros and Add-ins like importing and exporting XML, designing forms, etc. This tab is disabled by default on excel; thus, the user needs to enable it first from the options menu. and click on Visual Basic.
- Step 2: Click on Visual Basic. Go to This Workbook and double click on that.
- Step 3: From the dropdown list, select Workbook.
- Step 4: Once you have selected the workbook, it will automatically create one macro for you. Ignore that.
- Step 5: From the Right-hand side drop-down, select Sheet Change. It will insert one more macro for you.
- Step 6: Now copy and paste the below code the macro that has been created for the second time.
What this code will do is if there is any change in the sheet, it will refresh the pivot table in excel automatically for you.
Note: Once you copy and paste the code, you have to save the workbook as Macro-Enabled Workbook.
#4 Refresh Pivot Table When you Open the Workbook
We can refresh the pivot table while opening the workbook.
Right-Click on any of the pivot table and select the Pivot Table in the Excel option.
Click on this option.
Go to Data and check Refresh Data when opening the file.
This will refresh the pivot table in excel whenever you open the excel file.
Things to Remember
- You can choose any of the above methods to refresh your pivot tables.
- In the case of VBA code, you need to save your workbook as the macro-enabled workbook.
- The easiest for me to refresh is the shortcut ALT + A + R +A
- You can rename your pivot table under pivot options.
- In VBA codeVBA CodeVBA code refers to a set of instructions written by the user in the Visual Basic Applications programming language on a Visual Basic Editor (VBE) to perform a specific task., you need to mention each of the pivot table names in the case of multiple pivot tables.
This has been a guide to Refresh Pivot Table in Excel. Here we discuss how to Refresh Pivot Table using the top 4 methods in excel along with practical examples and a downloadable template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –