Blank Invoice Excel Template
A blank invoice is basically a billing document consisting of details like purchased items, amount and mode of payment. Invoices are source documents for accounting, used to record sales transactions. Excel blank invoice templates are useful as they have inbuilt excel formulas and hence help to perform the calculations with great ease, thereby also saving so much of time and effort.
An invoice is divided into three sections: header, body, and footer sections. Below is some general information which is included in most of the invoices:
- Invoice Number: Invoice Number is a unique number that the seller assigns so as to distinguish this invoice from the invoice that another seller sends. It is present in the header section (on top of the page)
- Invoice date: Invoice date is the date on which the invoice is generated
- Payment Terms: This contains the mode of payment, and states if the payment is due (with the amount due) on some other date
- Billing Company Information: This contains the name and contact number of the business/store in the header section
- Client/Customer Information: This contains the name and contact number of the client/customer in the header section
This section contains the number of items or services purchased, and their amount and description
- Total charges of items/services: This consists of a summary of charges for or services being billed.
- Taxes or other costs due, if applicable: This includes any type of applicable taxes and shipping charges listed below the total charges.
- Total due: This is the full amount or grand total owned by the customer.
- Payment Instructions: This includes a description of the mode of payment.
- Additional comments: This includes instructions related to return or exchange, and any discount information. The discount information is sometimes present in the body section in some of the invoices. It can also have an additional line stating the opening and closing hours and days of the store or organization.
Like a simple invoice template, a blank invoice excels template is used to offer the basics of an invoice without any complicated functions.
How to Create a Blank Invoice Excel Template?
Let us say we wish to create or generate a blank invoice template in Microsoft Excel. Now the following steps can be used to do so (basically in Excel 2013 & 2016):
- Open Microsoft Excel and click on the ‘File’ tab and click on ‘New’:
- On doing this, we will see some templates for invoices as below:
We can see in the above screenshot that there are some ready-to-use templates for an invoice. We need not open each template before selection, instead if we just click on a template, its preview appears, which will give us an idea of how the template looks in terms of layout and formatting. Also, these templates are completely customizable, i.e. we can change it as per our requirement.
- So after deciding which template to be used, click on that template and then click on ‘Create’ button which is to the right of the template’s preview.
This will open the desired template in MS Excel. Below screenshot illustrates this:
- Now we can edit the template as per our needs:
As we can see in the above screenshot, most templates have ‘Company/Company Name’ written on the top. We can replace this with the actual name of the company by double-clicking on the cell text and replacing it as below:
Let’s say we are creating the invoice for a merchandise sales store whose name is ‘Trendy Diva’.
So we have changed the ‘Company Name’ to ‘Trendy Diva’ in the invoice.
In the upper left along with the company name, a personalized company logo can also be added by pasting the logo there.
- This is followed by the contact information of the business firm or store, and then the contact information of the client/customer:
- Along with the contact information of the client, there is an Invoice number and invoice date on the right, as illustrated in the below screenshot:
- Thereafter, there is a line-by-line description of the money owed along with price and quantity of items or rate and number of services. In case, there is a discount, it is usually entered in a separate column, or mentioned along with total in the end and subtracted thereafter.
For instance, in our ‘Trendy Diva’ invoice which is a merchandise store, let’s say two dresses (1 Gown, and 1 Long Maxi Dress) are purchased:
- Finally, there is the grand total of all the items or services purchased, along with any applicable taxes. Also, in case there is any due amount, it is also mentioned (which is also mentioned at the top in some of the invoices).
You can apply the tax rate.
Here, we can see that the sales tax is automatically calculated.
If any other amount is charged then enter that amount in “Other” column.
Finally, the total amount is automatically calculated in “Total” cell.
- After all the changes have been made in the selected blank invoice template as per the user’s requirements, we will have to save it by clicking on ‘File’ -> ‘Save As’.
Then enter a save location and the name of the invoice to be saved, and then click on ‘Save’. This will save the customized invoice template in the mentioned save location.
Things to Remember About Blank Invoice Excel Template
- In business, Invoice is a standard part. However, there is no single standardized form for the use of invoice.
- We can also create our own invoice template in MS Excel.
- Blank invoice templates are generally used by services that need to provide an on-site bill to customers.
- Custom invoicing software packages, business applications, and online cloud-based services are also used by some of the organizations or stores to create their own invoice templates.
- The invoice templates available in Microsoft Excel are customizable in terms of layout, formatting, etc. and can be edited as per the user’s requirements.
- The Excel invoice templates can easily be converted to PDF format and can be sent to the client via mail.
- Some of the Excel invoice templates that can be downloaded for free in versions: Excel 2003, 2007, 2010, and 2013, are:
This has been a guide to Blank Invoice Excel Template. Here we discuss how to create a blank invoice template to perform calculations with great ease with examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –