How to Hide Formulas in Excel?
Hiding formulas in excel is a method when we do not want the formula to be displayed in the formula bar when we click on a cell which has formulas in it, to do this we can simply format the cells and check the hidden checkbox and then protect the worksheet, this will prevent the formula to appear in the formula tab only the result of the formula will be visible.
13 Easy Steps to Hide Formula in Excel (with Example)
Let’s understand the steps to hide formulas in excel with examples.
Step 1: Select the entire worksheet by pressing the shortcut key Ctrl + A.
Step 2: Now, any of the cell rights click and select Format Cells or press Ctrl + 1.
Step 3: Once the above option is selected, it will open the below dialogue box and select Protection.
4.9 (1,353 ratings) 35+ Courses | 120+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
Step 4: Once the Protection tab is selected, uncheck the Locked option.
This will unlock all the cells in the worksheet. Remember, this will unlock the cells in the active worksheet in all the remaining worksheets; it remains locked only.
Step 5: If you observe as soon as I have unlocked the cells, excel will notify me of an error as Unprotected Formula.
Step 6: Select only the formula cells and lock it. In my worksheet, I have three formulas, and I have selected all three formulas.
Step 7: Open Format Cell and select the Protection tab, and check the Locked and Hidden option.
Note: If you have many formulas in the excel worksheet, you want to select each one of them, then you need to follow the below steps.
- Step 8: Press F5 (shortcut key to Go to Special) and select Special.
- Step 9: This will open up the below dialogue box. Select Formulas and click Ok. This would select all the formula cells in the worksheet.
Now it has selected all the formula cells in the entire worksheet.
- Step 10: Once the formula cells are selected and locked and hidden. Protect the sheet. Go to Review Tab and Protect Sheet.
- Step 11: Click on Protect Sheet in excel, the dialogue box will open up. Select only Select locked cells and select unlocked cells. Type your password carefully because you cannot edit those cells if you forget the password.
- Step 12: Click on the OK. It will again ask you to confirm the password. Enter the same password one more time.
- Step 13: Click on the Ok. Now your excel formulas and locked and protected with the password. Suppose you cannot edit the password without the password. If you try editing the formula, Excel will show the below warning message for you. And also, the formula bar not showing anything.
Things to Remember
- The most common way of hiding the formulas is by locking the particular cell and password protect the worksheet.
- The very first basic thing we need to do is “unlock all the cells in the active worksheet.” You must be wondering why you need to unlock all the cells in the worksheet where you did not even start the process of locking the cells in the worksheet.
- The reason we need to unlock first is by default; excel turned on excel Locked cell. At this point in time, we are still able to edit and manipulate the cells because we have not yet password protected the sheet.
- We can open the Go to special dialogue box by pressing the F5 shortcut.
- Ctrl + 1 is the shortcut key to open the formatting options.
- Remember the password carefully; otherwise, you cannot unprotect the worksheet.
- Only the password known person can edit the formulas.
This has been a guide to Hide Formula in excel. Here we discuss how to hide formula in excel using the protection tab to lock the cell along with practical examples. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –