List of Top 10 Commands in Excel
Be it engineering, medical, chemistry or any field excel spreadsheet is the common tool for data maintenance. Some of them use for just to maintain their database and some others use this tool as a weapon to turn fortune for the respective companies they are working on. So you too can turn things around for yourself as well by learning some of the most useful excel commands.
#1 VLOOKUP Function to Fetch Data
Having the data in multiple sheets is a common thing in many offices, but to fetch the data from one worksheet to another and also from one workbook to another is a challenge for beginners in excel.
If you have struggled to fetch the data, then VLOOKUP will help you to fetch the data. Assume you have two tables below.
In table 1, we have the subject list and their respective scores, and in table 2, we have some subject names, but we don’t have scores for them. So using these subject names in table 2, we need to fetch the data from table 1.
- Ok, let’s open the VLOOKUP function in the E2 cell.
- Select the lookup value as a D3 cell.
- Select the table array as A3 to B8 and make them absolute reference Absolute ReferenceAbsolute reference in excel is a type of cell reference in which the cells being referred to do not change, as they did in relative reference. By pressing f4, we can create a formula for absolute referencing. by pressing the F4 key.
- Column Index Number is from the selected table array from which column you need to fetch the data. So, in this case, from the second column, we need to fetch the data.
- For the last argument range lookup, select FALSE as the option, or else you can simply enter 0.
- Close the bracket and hit the enter key to get the score of Sub 4 and also copy the formula and paste it to the below cell as well.
Here you go, you have learned a formula to fetch values from different tables based on a lookup value.
#2 IF Condition to Do Logical Test
IF condition will be your friend in many situations because of its ability to conduct logical tests. Assume you want to test the scores of students and give the result, below is the data for your reference.
In the above table, we have students’ scores from the examination, and based on these scores, we need to arrive at the result as either PASS or FAIL. So to arrive, these results criteria are if the score is >=35, then the result should be PASS or else FAIL.
- Open IF condition in C2 cell.
- The first argument is logical to test, so in this example, we need to do the logical test of whether the score is >=35, select the score cell B2 and apply the logical test as B2 >= 35.
- The next argument is value if true, i.e., if the applied logical test is TRUE, then what the value we need is? In this case, if the logical test is TRUE, then we need the result as “Pass.”
- So the final part is value if false, i.e., if the applied logical test is FALSE, then we need the result as “Fail.”
- Close the bracket and fill the formula to the remaining cells as well.
So Student A & F scored less than 35, so the result has arrived as FAIL.
#3 CONCATENATE Function to Combine Two or More Values
If you want to combine two or more values from different cells, then we can use the CONCATENATE function in excelCONCATENATE Function In ExcelThe concatenate function in Excel is used to connect or concatenate two or more characters, strings, or numbers. The concatenate function is a better alternative to using the & operator to connect two variables.. Below is the list of First Name and Last Name.
- Open CONCATENATE function in the C2 cell.
- For the first argument, Text 1 select the first name cell, and for text 2, select the last name cell.
- Ok, apply the formula to all the cells to get the full name.
- If you want space as the first name and last name separator, then use space character in double-quotes after selecting the first name.
#4 Count Only Numerical Values
If you want to count only numerical values from the range, then you need to use the COUNT function in excel. Take a look at the below data.
From the above table, we need to count only numerical values; for this, we can use the COUNT function.
The result of the COUNT function is 6. The total count of cells is 8, but we have got the count of numerical values as 6. In cell A4 & A6, we have text values, but in cell A8, we have date value. COUNT function treats the date also as a numerical value only.
Note: Date and Time values are treated as numerical values if the formatting is correct; otherwise, it will be treated as text values.
#5 Count All Values
If you want to count all the values in the range, then you need to use the COUNTA function. For the same data, I will apply the COUNTA function and see the count.
This time we got the count as 8 because the COUNTA function has counted all the cell values.
Note: Both COUNT and COUNTA functions ignore blank cells.
#6 Count Based on Condition
If you want to count based on condition, then you have to use the COUNTIF function. Look at the below data.
From this city list, if you want to count how many times “Bangalore” city is there, then open the COUNTIF function.
The first argument is RANGE, so select the range of values from A2 to B9.
The second argument is Criteria, i.e., what you want to count, i.e., “Bangalore.
Bangalore has appeared 3 times in the range A2 to B9, so the COUNTIF function returns 3 as the count.
#7 Count Number of Characters in the Cell
If you want to count the number of characters in the cell, then we need to use the LEN function in excLEN Function In ExcThe Len function returns the length of a given string. It calculates the number of characters in a given string as input. It is a text function in Excel as well as an inbuilt function that can be accessed by typing =LEN( and entering a string as input.el. LEN function returns the number of characters from the selected cell.
“Excel” word has 5 characters, so the result is 5.
Note: Space is also considered as one character.
#8 Convert Negative Value to Positive Value
If you have negative values and you want to convert them to positive, the ABS functionABS FunctionABS Excel function or Absolute function is used to calculate the absolute value of a given number. The negative numbers given as input are changed to positive numbers and if the argument provided to this function is positive, it remains unchanged. will do it for you.
#9 Convert All Characters to UPPERCASE Values
If you want to convert all the text values to UPPERCASE, then use the UPPER formula in excelUPPER Formula In ExcelThe Uppercase function in Excel generates an upper-case version of any text in your spreadsheet. Punctuation and numerical values are unaffected while employing the upper case formula..
And if you want to convert all the text values to LOWERCASE values, then use the LOWER formula.
#10 Find Maximum and Minimum Values
If you want to find maximum and minimum values, then use MAX and MIN functions in excelMIN Functions In ExcelIn Excel, the MIN function is categorized as a statistical function. It finds and returns the minimum value from a given set of data/array., respectively.
Things to Remember
- These are some of the important formulas/commands in excel which are used regularly.
- We can use these functions in the advanced level as well.
- There are move advanced formulas in excel which come under advanced level courses.
- Space is considered as one character.
This has been a guide to Excel Commands. Here we discuss the list of top 10 commands in excel along with examples and a downloadable template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –