Google sheets and excel are very much same in the terms of formulas and calculations and many of their features of them are same, both have data in the form of a table or in other words rows and columns, the major difference between excel and google sheets is that google sheets provide us with us link which can be shared with other users to give them permission to read or edit the sheet at once while in excel only one person can edit the file at a time.
Differences Between Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets
Google sheets have come a long way. But Microsoft Excel is the one that stands out.
If you’ve been using one and not the other, there’s a reason why you got stuck with one. Let’s look at the different aspects of Microsoft Excel vs Google Sheets of these so that you can decide which one is still superior.
4.9 (1,353 ratings) 35+ Courses | 120+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
Excel vs Google Sheets Infographics
Here we provide you with the top 5 differences between Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets
Key Differences Between Excel and Google Sheets
- If we talk about price, the Google sheet is free. You can use it whenever you want and wherever you want. If you want to jump in for a business subscription, you need to pay $5 per month. And if you pay for the year, Google will give you discounts as well. On the other hand, Microsoft Office isn’t free. And you need to pay to use Microsoft Excel. Microsoft’s new Office 365 costs you (only the online version) $8.25 per month for a single user. So, in the case of pricing, Google sheets are a much better alternative than Microsoft Excel.
- Another advantage of Google sheets is the ease of collaboration. Suppose you’re working on a Google sheet. And you feel that you need the help of your team in creating something worthwhile. So, you can ask your team to join in and share their inputs. It means on a Google sheet; multiple people can work simultaneously. As a result, collaboration becomes easier. Microsoft Excel, on the other hand, allows you to track changes in excel, but Google sheets let you edit the sheet simultaneously.
- If you use Microsoft Excel, you would need to manually save the file. But in the case of Google sheet, you can concentrate on creating the sheet, doing the work that matters, and your sheet will be automatically saved up on your Google drive.
- If you want to choose one for data analysis and visualization, Microsoft Excel is still the better version. Since Excel has more formula stored, you can’t beat Microsoft excel in using it for creating financial models with ease. For example, if you want to create a flowchart or Gantt chart in excel, you can access the inbuilt formula in excel; but to create these charts on Google sheet, you need to do them manually.
- If you want to use excel or sheet for macros, you should know that Google sheet has added macros. And as a result, Google sheet has become a strong contender for Microsoft Excel.
- Individuals that use “mac” prefer Google sheets over Microsoft Excel. It’s because Microsoft excel may work on all the applications, but Microsoft’s focus is mainly on windows and not mac-users.
Excel vs Google Sheets Table
|Basis for comparison||Excel||Google Sheets|
|Price||The new version of Microsoft’s Office “Office 365” (online version), you need to pay $8.25 per month.||You can use Google sheets for free. If you want to go for a business subscription, you need to pay $5 per month. If you go for a year, you will get a discount.|
|Collaboration||Compared to Google sheets, Excel isn’t a favorable application for collaboration.||Compared to Excel, Google sheet is a preferred application for collaboration.|
|Tool for Statistical Analysis & Visualization||Excel is the superior product in the case of statistical analysis & visualization since many formulas are built-in in Microsoft excel.||If you want to create a chart on Google sheet-like Gantt or flow chart in excel, you need to do it manually.|
|Seamless and easy to use||Excel is easy to use, but you need to save the file manually.||In the case of the Google sheet, you don’t need to save the sheet manually. It will be saved on Google’s drivers automatically.|
|Usage of macros||Excel is now similar to the Google sheet in using the macro.||Google sheet has brought macro and become a strong contender.|
As you can see, Google sheets are becoming more popular these days. Its ease of use, simple collaboration capability, and storage capacity have allowed it to go beyond the functionalities of excel. Excel is still standing tall, but Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets need to focus on mac users as well so that they can compete with Google sheet in the near future.
This has been a guide to Excel vs Google Sheets. Here we discuss the top differences between Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets along with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles –