Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
Formula for Percentage in Excel (Table of Contents)
Excel Formula for Percentage Calculatiion
Percentage calculation is one of the basic mathematics we all have learned in the early stages of our life in mathematics class.
You take any profession to be it financier, accountant, admin, housekeeper, HR, any of the profession needs percentage calculation. Not only in profession common people day in day out work with percentages.
In excel it is no different to calculate percentages.
In this article, I will discuss the ways of calculating percentages in Excel.
How to Calculate Percentage in Excel using Formula?
Percentages are always calculated on per hundred bases. That means per hundred what is the proportion. We need two kinds of numbers one is numerator and another one is the denominator. We always dived the numerator by the denominator and multiply the result by 100 get the percentage value.
For example: Assume you were on vacation for 15 days and you have spent 10 days in your hometown and remaining 5 days in the USA. What is the percentage of days you have spent in the USA?
Here the total number of vacation is 15 days. It is split into two parts one is 10 days in hometown and 5 days in the USA.
- The excel formula for percentage is Portion Days / Total Days * 100.
- Percentage of Days spent in USA = 5 / 15 * 100 = 33.33%
- Percentage of Days spent in Home Town = 10 / 15 * 100 = 66.66%
Example #1 – Calculate the Formula for Percentage in Excel
How to calculate the formula for percentage in excel with examples.
I have a given task to calculate the formula for percentage in excel of students based on the marks obtained in the year-end exams.
They had given me total marks in each subject. Each subject carries a maximum of 100 marks.
Step 1: To get the percentage of each student I need to calculate the total marks obtained by them among 6 subjects. Let me calculate total marks by adding all the 6 subjects together for each student.
Now I got a total of each student by adding all the 6 subjects together
Step 2: Now we have total marks column i.e. numerator value. Maximum marks from 6 subjects is 600 i.e. 100 * 6 = 600 (denominator)
Let me divide the marks obtained by each student by 600.
i.e. Marks Scored / Total Marks *100
Step 3: Now we got the numbers. To arrive at the percentage values we need to change the formatting of the cell. Select all the percentage cells and press Ctrl + Shift + % or you can change the format under Home and Number then %
Example #2 – Calculate the Efficiency Percentage of Employees
All most all the corporate companies try to find out the efficiency percentage of their employees. Below is the individual sales employee sales report against their set targets. I need to calculate the efficiency level of each employee based on their target.
Now we all know how to calculate excel formula for a percentage. Here the formula is Sales / Target
We go the efficiency levels but at the end, we got two division errors in excel i.e. #DIV/0!.
We can eliminate this error by just tweaking our existing formula with IFERROR formula. IFERROR formula is crucial here. If the calculation of Sales / Target returns.
The result as error IFERROR function turn that results into zero.
Example #3 – How to Find the Growth or Decline Percentage in Excel
We can also find the growth or decline excel formula for a percentage. I have monthly sales for two months Jan and Feb 2018.
In Jan sales were 53250 and in Feb sales in 57500. It is clear that in Feb sales is more. But the question is what is the formula for percentage of increase in excel in the sales when we compared to Jan.
Here we need to know what is the extra sale in Feb compares to Jan i.e. Feb – Jan then divide this variance by Jan sales.
Conclusion: In Feb sales we using the formula for percentage increased in excel by 7.98% when we compared to Jan sales.
Things to Remember about Excel Formula for Percentage
- We will get the error as #DIV/0! If the numerator is zero.
- When we compare and find the growth or decline percentage we get a negative percentage if the numerator or denominator value is less than zero.
- We can get rid of errors in the percentage calculation by using the IFERROR function.
- We need to change the formatting of the cells to display percentage values.
This has been a guide to Formula for Percentage in excel. Here we discuss how to calculate Percentage in excel using IFERROR formula along with excel examples and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –