Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
- Power Bi (35+)
Excel Formula for Grade (Table of Contents)
What is Excel Formula for Grade?
The Grade system formula is actually the nested IF formula that checks certain conditions and returns the particular Grade if the condition is met. The formula that we will be used for calculating the Grade is to be developed in such a way that all the conditions that we have for checking the Grade slab is checked and at last that Grade is returned that belongs to the condition.
- The excel formula for Grade calculation is a great way by which we can actually classify the data as per the nature or the characteristics of that data. Suppose if we have the data of marks obtained by the students of a class and we want to know which student is better and who has achieved more marks than other students we can calculate the Grades for the marks.
- There is no inbuilt formula that can calculate the Grade in excel so we will be using the “IF” formula. Since we will be having multiple Grades we will need to use the Nested IF formula for calculating Grades in the below cases
How to use Excel Formula for Grade Calculation?
Below are the examples of Excel Formula for Grade Calculation
Example #1 – Calculating the Grade of students using Excel Formula
In this example of Excel Formula for Grade, we have the data of the marks that are obtained by the students in their final exams and we want to calculate the Grades for the obtained marks. In this case, we have defined the criteria for Grades and calculated the Grades. Highest marks have “A” and lowest mark has “D” Grade.
- First, we have to define the criteria that will be used to return a Grade for the marks scored by the student.
- After the criteria are defined then we need to calculate the Total marks of student and the Percentage achieved by the student.
- Now we have to use the nested IF formula that is
The logic that is defined in the formula is
If the percentage is more than 80 than the student falls in Grade A
If the percentage is more than 70 than the student falls in Grade B.
If the percentage is more than 60 than the student falls in Grade C.
At last if the percentage is less than 60 than the student falls in Grade D.
- Now we need to drag the formula down to the other cells also to calculate the Grade for other students.
Example #2 – Calculating the Product Quality Grade using Excel Formula for Grade.
In this example of Excel Grade Formula, we have calculated the grade of quality for Fruits based on the quality score the particular veggies has obtained. The highest quality score has a good Grade of A and the lowest quality score has the Grade of D.
- The first step will be to set the criteria for calculating the Grades.
- Now we have to use the nested IF formulas as we have used in the above example to calculate the Grade for the product quality.
The formula that we have used in this case is
The logic that we have defined in this case is as below
If the percentage is more than 80 than the Grade is A
If the percentage is more than 70 than the Grade is
If the percentage is more than 60 than the Grade is C.
At last if the percentage is less than 60 than the Grade is D.
- Now we need to drag the formula down to other cells to calculate the Grade for other products also.
Example #3 – Calculating the Grade of quality offered by service centers.
Now, in this case, the formula that we will be using will be different from the above two examples of Excel Grade Formula as in this case the criteria will be the no. of complaints that are lodged against the customer service center. This means the lesser the complaints the more is the quality of service.
- The first step is to define the criteria for the Grade of service.
- Now we need to use the below formula to calculate the Grade, in this case, we will be using the logic of “<” instead of “>”.
The nested IF formula that we need is below.
The logic is as below.
If the complaints are less than 10 than “A” grade.
If the complaints are less than 20 than “B” grade.
If the complaints are less than 30 than “C” grade.
If the complains does not fall in any criteria than “D” grade.
- Now we need to drag the formula down to other cells.
Things to remember about Excel Formula for Grade
- If we have a percentage instead of numbers than we also need to define % in the logical function.
- If we are calculating the Grades for a case where less the number means a higher Grade than we need to use “<” instead of “>” as the operator.
- If we are referring any list as the condition that we need to make sure that the range that we have referred is locked before we drag the formula down to other cells.
- We need to remember that we need to close the formula with that much brackets that are equal to the numbers of “IF” we have used inside the formula. This means that we need to close all nested If formulas with “)”.
This has been a guide to Excel Formula for Grade. Here we discuss how to calculate letter grade in excel along with examples and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –