Investment Banking Tutorials
- Investment Banking Free Course
- Investment Banking Basics
- What is Investment Banking? (Overview of what do they actually do!)
- Investment Banking Functions
- Investment Banking vs Commercial Banking
- Equity Research in an Investment Bank
- What is Asset Management Company AMC
- Sales and Trading in Investment Banking
- Private Placement, IPO and FPO in Investment Banking
- Investment Banking – Underwriters and Market Makers
- Investment Banking – Mergers and Acquisitions
- Investment Banking – Restructuring and Reorganisation
- Investment Banking Roles and Responsibilities
- Market Makers
- Propreitary Trading
- Deal Origination (Sourcing)
- Initial Public Offering (IPO)
- Price-Weighted Index
- Publicly Traded Companies
- Top 4 Must Know Investment Banking Charts (Free Download Template included)
- Pitch Book | Guide to Investment Banking Pitch Book (Examples)
- What is LBO?
- Leverage buyout Lbo Analysis
- LBO Financing
- Capital Budgeting
- Capital Budgeting Methods
- Capital Budgeting Examples
- Capital Budgeting Process
- Trading Floor
- Limit Order
- Block Trade
- Gray List
- Market Order vs Limit Order
- Bid vs Ask
- Bid vs Offer Price
- Industry vs Sector
- Merchant Bank
- Money Market Account
- Best Investment Banking Books
- Nasdaq vs Dow Jones
- Nasdaq vs Nyse
- Differences Between NSE and BSE
- SWOT Analysis
- SWOT Analysis Examples
- PEST Analysis Example
- Investment Banking Careers
- Investment Banking Interview Questions (with Answers)
- How to get into Investment Banking?
- Investment Banking Analyst
- Investment Banking Job Description
- Investment Banking Division (IBD)
- Investment Banking Associate Salary
- Analyst vs Associate
- Investment Banking Job For Graduates (Engineers) | Top 8 Tips
- How to get an Investment Banking Internship?
- Top 10 Finance Certifications Programs
- Investment Banking Lifestyle
- Investment Banking Exit Opportunities
- Investment Banking Case Studies
- Top 10 Best Finance courses (with Online Certification)
- Investor Relation Job Description
- Financial Analyst Job Description
- Investment Banking vs Equity Research
- Investment Banking vs Asset Management
- Commercial Banking vs Merchant Banking
- Investment Banking vs Corporate Banking
- Portfolio Management vs Investment Banking
- Investment Banking vs Hedge Fund Manager
- Investment Banking vs Investment Management
- Investment Banking vs Private Equity
- Careers in Trading
- Investment Banking Firms
- Top Bulge Bracket Investment Banks
- Top Middle Market Investment Banks
- Top Boutique Investment Banks
- Investment Banking in Dubai
- Investment Banking In Nigeria
- Investment Banking in Abu Dhabi
- Investment Banking in Hong Kong
- Investment Banking in Russia
- Investment Banking in Brazil
- Investment Banking in China
- Investment Banking in Australia
- Investment Banking in Saudi Arabia
- Investment Banking in Singapore
- Investment Banking in London (UK)
- Investment Banking in India
- Investment Banking in Ireland
- Investment Banking in South Africa
- Investment Banking in Canada
- Investment Banking in Germany
- Investment Banking in France
- Investment Banking in Malaysia
- Investment Banking in Philippines
- Investment Banking in Boston
- Investment Banking in San Francisco
- Investment Banking in Chicago
- Investment Banking in Atlanta
- Investment Banking in Toronto
- Top Banks
- Top Banks in Australia
- Top 10 Banks in the United States of America
- Top Banks In Austria
- Top Banks In Bahrain
- Top Banks In Belgium
- Top Banks In Bermuda
- Top Banks In British Virgin Islands
- Top Banks In Brunei
- Top Banks In Canada
- Top Banks In Cayman Islands
- Top Banks In Denmark
- Top Banks In Finland
- Top Banks In France
- Top Banks In Germany
- Top Banks In Greenland
- Top Banks In Guernsey
- Top Banks In Ireland
- Top Banks In Isle of Man
- Top Banks In Japan
- Top Banks In Kuwait
- Top Banks In Liechtenstein
- Top Banks In Luxembourg
- Top Banks In Macau
- Top Banks In Norway
- Top Banks In Oman
- Top Banks in Pakistan
- Top Banks in Philippines
- Top Banks In Puerto Rico
- Top Banks In Qatar
- Top Banks In Saudi Arabia
- Banks in South Africa
- Top Banks In Singapore
- Top Banks In South Korea
- Top Banks In Sweden
- Top Banks In Switzerland
- Top Banks in UAE
- Top 10 Banks in United Arab Emirates
- Top Banks in United Kingdom
- Top Banks in USA
- Banks in Nigeria
- Top 10 Banks in Netherlands
- Top 10 Banks in Malta
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- What is Mergers and Acquisitions?
- Mergers vs Acquisitions
- Acquisitions Examples
- Horizontal Merger
- Vertical Merger
- Synergy in M&A
- Successful Mergers and Acquisitions
- Financing Acquisitions
- Acquisition Premium (Takeover)
- Statutory Merger
- Joint Venture
- Advantages of Joint Venture
- Types of Joint Venture
- White Knight
- Hostile Takeover
- Golden Parachute
- Poison Pills
- Killer Bees Defense Strategy
- Show Stopper in M&A
- What is Amalgamation?
- Spin off vs Split Off
- Forward Integration
- Backward Integration
- Horizontal vs Vertical Integration
- What is Divesting / Divestiture?
- Bootstrap Effect
- PAC MAN Defense
- Flip-In Poison Pill
- Flip-Over Poison Pill
- Scorched Earth Defense Policy
- Tender Offer
- Friendly Takeover
- Amalgamation vs Merger
- Lobster Trap Defense
- Asset Purchase vs Stock Purchase
- Joint Venture vs Strategic Alliance
- Greenshoe Option
- Dawn Raid Takeovers
- Crown Jewels Defense
- Best Mergers and Acquisitions Books
- What is Asset Restructuring?
- Cryptocurrency Basics
- Bitcoins | Advantages and Disadvantages of Bitcoin Technology
- Cryptocurrency | Top 5 Cryptocurrency You Must Know!
- Bitcoin vs Ethereum | Top 6 Differences You Must Know (Infographics)
- Ethereum vs Litecoin
- Ripple vs Stellar
- Bitcoin vs Cryptocurrency
- Bitcoin vs Blockchain
- Ripple vs Litecoin
- Bitcoin vs Litecoin
- Ethereum vs Ethereum Classic
What is Deal Origination?
- Deal Origination is a process by which firms source Investment prospects which are done either by gaining knowledge of the deals taking place in the market and finding out who is selling so as to make a competitive bid for the deal or by creating a deal for themselves through their relationship with intermediaries.
- Also known as Deal Sourcing, it is the first and the most important step through which these firms pitch the potential buyers of their advisory services and their product offerings (Mergers and Acquisition, Capital Raising, Equity Capital Markets, Debt Financing etc) and how they can provide assistance to the potential clients.
The above image is a snapshot of the roles and responsibilities of those who are a part of deal origination team. The sample responsibilities are as per below
- Sourcing acquisition for the company in the range of $3mn – $20mn EBITDA
- Execute coverage program of M&A deal sources
- Identify industry and targeted geographies to promote the private equity investments.
- Manage the entire acquisition process including deal origination, execution, negotiations, duediligencee, documentations and more.
Most Popular Deal Sourcing Strategies
A success of this Deal Origination is fundamental and most important to the success and survival of an Investment Bank. It relies on the past success of these firms and their execution capability and reputation in the market. Deal Sourcing although a time-consuming task but a necessary task for keeping a full pipeline of a steady flow of deals for these firms.
Some of the most popular Deal Origination strategies adopted by the firm include:
#1 – In-House Deal Sourcing
Under this strategy, firms employ dedicated deal sourcing team which works on a full-time employment basis for the Investment Firms and includes experienced finance professionals who are having extensive knowledge of Deal Sourcing in markets and enjoys a wide network of contacts and a good reputation.
#2 – Deal Sourcing Specialist on Contract/Assignment Basis
Deal Sourcing Specialist on Contract/Assignment Basis are specialized firms/Individuals are freelance/specialized firms in this Origination whose main task is to work with Investment Banks in sourcing clients and are usually paid on an assignment basis and are not fully employed by the firm. Such Individual/firms usually work with multiple clients and have a wide experience in Deal Sourcing.
Skills Involved in Deal Origination
- It involves pitching the services that the firm can offer to the client but along with that it is imperative to understand the need of the client so that the right offer is made which is mutually beneficial to both the parties.
- These Deal Sourcing professionals require strong analytical skills and financial appraisal skills with proven track record of strategic thinking and expertise in Deal Initiation service.
- Such firms/Individuals should possess extensive sector expertise to pitch the right note for their firms in front of prospective clients.
Approaches to Deal Origination
#1 – Network Approach
Under this approach, the investment firm makes use of its existing client network and reputation among the investor community to source new deals.
- It is the oldest and the most commonly used method of Deal Origination which is still in use. However, this method is quite a labor intensive as it involves accessing the business owners in the immediate network, screening through inbound leads, speaking to investment intermediaries and proprietary deal sourcing.
- The probability of converting the leads into a deal is also minimal in this method and with the growing competitive environment access to industry-specific knowledge helps in gaining an advantage over others.
- Furthermore, it is difficult to determine the conversion rates of leads to deal completion in case of this approach and that makes companies performance with its peers in Deal Sourcing using this method impossible.
#2 – Online Deal Sourcing
Under this approach, firms make use of financial technology companies to source deals through their platforms which act as a matchmaker by facilitating Mergers and Amalgamations firms who are scouting for buy side and sell side opportunities.
- These financial technology firms act as a plug and play solution and make use of an intelligent matching algorithm to connect interested parties.
- With Online Deal Origination approach firms can easily analyze the conversion rates and performance management in securing deals.
- This approach also allows companies to easily connect with buyers and sellers virtually and avail the services of these platforms by paying a periodic subscription which is substantially less compared to keeping dedicated in-house teams and more efficient as well.
- This approach most importantly allows a firm to widen its reach which spans across geographical locations and makes process fully automated as well due to the standardized mechanism use by online deal sourcing platform companies.
- Some of the popular the online deal sourcing platforms include Navatar, Dealsuite, Brookz etc.
Deal Sourcing is an important and indispensable function performed by finance professionals working in Investment Banks, Venture Capital firms and Private Equity firms. It is the first step in creating a deal and involves generating deals to pitch to potential buyers.
Firms make use of both the traditional approach as well as the new age Online Deal origination approach. Both approaches are aimed at ensuring a large volume of deal flow to maintain a viable deal flow pipeline; however, the online deal origination approach is slowly and gradually gaining major share through which deal origination is done in the current scenario.
Financial Technology companies such as Navatar, Dealsuite etc allows business owners, advisors, private equity firms and strategic buyers to post their mid-market sell side listing and buy-side mandates through the use of their sophisticated technology platforms which make use of the advanced algorithm in connecting the right parties. Using these advanced algorithm companies can specify their target industry, transaction size, location preference, and industry criteria etc thereby substantially reducing the time taken in the Deal Origination process and also improves the conversion rate through automation of processes.
Deal Origination (Sourcing) Video
This has been a guide to what is Deal Origination. Here we discuss most popular deal origination strategies, skills involved in this deal origination job and approaches to deal sourcing. You may learn more about Investment Banking from the following articles –