Investment Banking Tutorials
- Investment Banking Free Course
- Investment Banking Basics
- What is Investment Banking? (Overview of what do they actually do!)
- Investment Banking Functions
- Investment Banking vs Commercial Banking
- Equity Research in an Investment Bank
- What is Asset Management Company AMC
- Sales and Trading in Investment Banking
- Private Placement, IPO and FPO in Investment Banking
- Investment Banking – Underwriters and Market Makers
- Investment Banking – Mergers and Acquisitions
- Investment Banking – Restructuring and Reorganisation
- Investment Banking Roles and Responsibilities
- Market Makers
- Propreitary Trading
- Deal Origination (Sourcing)
- Initial Public Offering (IPO)
- Top 4 Must Know Investment Banking Charts (Free Download Template included)
- Pitch Book | Guide to Investment Banking Pitch Book (Examples)
- What is LBO?
- Leverage buyout Lbo Analysis
- LBO Financing
- Trading Floor
- Market Order vs Limit Order
- Bid vs Ask
- Industry vs Sector
- Merchant Bank
- Best Investment Banking Books
- Nasdaq vs Dow Jones
- Nasdaq vs Nyse
- Differences Between NSE and BSE
- Investment Banking Careers
- Investment Banking Interview Questions (with Answers)
- How to get into Investment Banking?
- Investment Banking Analyst
- Investment Banking Job Description
- Investment Banking Division (IBD)
- Investment Banking Associate Salary
- Analyst vs Associate
- Investment Banking Job For Graduates (Engineers) | Top 8 Tips
- How to get an Investment Banking Internship?
- Top 10 Finance Certifications Programs
- Investment Banking Lifestyle
- Investment Banking Exit Opportunities
- Investment Banking Case Studies
- Top 10 Best Finance courses (with Online Certification)
- Investor Relation Job Description
- Financial Analyst Job Description
- Investment Banking vs Equity Research
- Investment Banking vs Asset Management
- Commercial Banking vs Merchant Banking
- Investment Banking vs Corporate Banking
- Portfolio Management vs Investment Banking
- Investment Banking vs Hedge Fund Manager
- Investment Banking vs Investment Management
- Investment Banking vs Private Equity
- Careers in Trading
- Investment Banking Firms
- Top Bulge Bracket Investment Banks
- Top Middle Market Investment Banks
- Top Boutique Investment Banks
- Investment Banking in Dubai
- Investment Banking In Nigeria
- Investment Banking in Abu Dhabi
- Investment Banking in Hong Kong
- Investment Banking in Russia
- Investment Banking in Brazil
- Investment Banking in China
- Investment Banking in Australia
- Investment Banking in Saudi Arabia
- Investment Banking in Singapore
- Investment Banking in London (UK)
- Investment Banking in India
- Investment Banking in Ireland
- Investment Banking in South Africa
- Investment Banking in Canada
- Investment Banking in Germany
- Investment Banking in France
- Investment Banking in Malaysia
- Investment Banking in Philippines
- Investment Banking in Boston
- Investment Banking in San Francisco
- Investment Banking in Chicago
- Investment Banking in Atlanta
- Investment Banking in Toronto
- Top Banks
- Top Banks in Australia
- Top Banks In Austria
- Top Banks In Bahrain
- Top Banks In Belgium
- Top Banks In Bermuda
- Top Banks In British Virgin Islands
- Top Banks In Brunei
- Top Banks In Canada
- Top Banks In Cayman Islands
- Top Banks In Denmark
- Top Banks In Finland
- Top Banks In France
- Top Banks In Germany
- Top Banks In Greenland
- Top Banks In Guernsey
- Top Banks In Ireland
- Top Banks In Isle of Man
- Top Banks In Japan
- Top Banks In Kuwait
- Top Banks In Liechtenstein
- Top Banks In Luxembourg
- Top Banks In Macau
- Top Banks In Norway
- Top Banks In Oman
- Top Banks in Pakistan
- Top Banks in Philippines
- Top Banks In Puerto Rico
- Top Banks In Qatar
- Top Banks In Saudi Arabia
- Banks in South Africa
- Top Banks In Singapore
- Top Banks In South Korea
- Top Banks In Sweden
- Top Banks In Switzerland
- Top Banks in UAE
- Top Banks in United Kingdom
- Top Banks in USA
- Banks in Nigeria
- Top 10 Banks in Netherlands
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- What is Mergers and Acquisitions?
- Mergers vs Acquisitions
- Synergy in M&A
- Successful Mergers and Acquisitions
- Financing Acquisitions
- Acquisition Premium (Takeover)
- Statutory Merger
- Joint Venture
- White Knight
- Hostile Takeover
- Golden Parachute
- Poison Pills
- Killer Bees Defense Strategy
- Show Stopper in M&A
- What is Amalgamation?
- Spin off vs Split Off
- Forward Integration
- Backward Integration
- Horizontal vs Vertical Integration
- What is Divesting / Divestiture?
- Bootstrap Effect
- PAC MAN Defense
- Flip-In Poison Pill
- Flip-Over Poison Pill
- Tender Offer
- Friendly Takeover
- Amalgamation vs Merger
- Lobster Trap Defense
- Asset Purchase vs Stock Purchase
- Greenshoe Option
- Dawn Raid Takeovers
- Crown Jewels Defense
- Best Mergers and Acquisitions Books
- What is Asset Restructuring?
What is Investment Banking? The moment you hear the term Investment Banking, many questions may arise in your mind –
- What is Investment Banking exactly?
- I have heard about commercial banks. Are they different from Investment bank?
- What is Sell Side and Buy Side in an Investment Bank?
- How much salary one can expect in this field of Investment Banking?
- Is it true that Investment Bankers earn money in tonnes and their bonus is 3-4 times that of their very handsome salary?
- How do Investment Bankers help in IPOs?
- Who are the Market Makers?
Here we discuss what is Investment Banking, however, if you want to know more about M&A (Mergers and Acquisitions, you can look at Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) Training.
Lots of questions, I guess. In this article on What is Investment Bank, I answer all your queries one by one.
But before we move on, let us first answer the most important question –
What is Investment Banking?
Let us first take an analogy of a property broker in order to understand Investment Banking in an easier way.
A property broker’s job is primarily two folds –
- Help buyers find clients and interested sellers to buy the flat, negotiate the lowest price, do the supporting paper work, ensure that the title is clear
- Help sellers find the clients and interested buyers to sell their flat, negotiate the highest price, do the paper work, get the registration done etc
So how does property broker’s earn – commissions (maybe 1% to 10% of the transaction value).
Now in this context think about Investment Bankers as “Financial brokers”. Investment Bankers help companies raise capital for projects, expansion etc and companies may look at various channels like Initial Public Offerings (IPOs), Follow-on Public Offering (FPO), Private Placements etc. In addition, Investment Banking job also includes Mergers and Acquisition Activities where they play the role of Financial Brokers and help companies find suitable acquisition targets or suitable buyers for their companies.
So how does Investment Bankers earn – obviously commissions (maybe 1% to 10% of the transaction value)? Are you thinking how much Investment Bankers may have made in the recent Twitter IPO?
The above analogy is very simplified and in technical terms, Investment Banking involves the following
- Equity Research
- Sales and Trading
- Raising Capital through IPO, FPO, Private Placements, Bond Placements
- Underwriting and Market Making activities
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Pitch Book Preparation
- Restructuring and reorganization
Investment Banking Overview Videos
To understand Investment Banking functions and its roles in detail, I have prepared a 14 part “What is investment Banking?” video tutorial series to help you jump-start on this topic.
Part 1 – Introduction to Investment Banking
Part 2 – Investment Banking vs Commercial Banking
This part 2 video tutorial on Investment Banking vs Commercial Banking discuss the following important basics of Investment Banking –
- What is an Investment Bank?
- What is a Commercial Bank
- Investment Banking vs Commercial Banking.
Part 3 – Equity Research in an Investment Bank
This part 3 video tutorial Equity Research in an Investment Bank discusses the following –
- What is Equity Research?
- How Equity Research Makes Money
- What is a typical Equity Research job profile?
- Who are the clients of Equity Research Department
Part 4 – What is Asset Management Company
This part 4 video tutorial on What is Asset Management Company discuss the following
- What is Asset Management Company or AMC?
- How Asset Management Company Work?
Part 5 – Buy Side vs Sell Side in Investment Banking
In this part 5 video tutorial on Buy-Side vs Sell Side, we discuss the following –
- What is Sell Side?
- What is Buy Side?
- Key differences between Sell Side and Buy Side
Part 6 – Sales and Trading
In this Part 6 video tutorial on Sales and Trading we discuss
- What is Sales & Trading ?
- Sales Function in Investment Banking
- Trading Function in Investment Banking
Part 7 – Raising Capital – How Investment Bankers help raise capital
In this part 7 video tutorial on Raising Capital – how investment bankers help raise capital through Private Placements, IPOs and FPOs –
- How companies raise capital?
- Role of Investment Bankers in Raising Capital
- What is Initial public offering (IPO) and Follow-on Public Offering or FPO
- What are Private Placements
Part 8 – Underwriters
In this 8th part on Underwriters, we discuss the following –
- What is Underwriting
- Role of Investment Bankers in Underwriting IPOs
Part 9 – Market Making by Investment Banks
In this part 9 on Market Making by Investment Banks, we discuss the following –
- Market Making
- Role of Investment Bankers in Market Making Activities
Part 10 – Mergers and Acquisitions
In this part 10 video tutorial on Mergers and Acquisitions, we discuss the following –
- What are Mergers and Acquisition or M&A
- How Investment Bankers help in M&As
- Investment Banking due diligence for M&A
- Investment Banking Pitch Book
Part 11 – Restructuring and Reorganization
In this part 11 video tutorial on Restructuring and Reorganization, we discuss
- What is Restructuring
- What is Reorganization
- Investment Bankers role in Restructuring and Reorganization.
Part 12 – Investment Banking Roles, Positions and Hierarchy
In this Part 12 video on Investment Banking Roles and Responsibilities, we discuss the key roles and responsibilities of an Investment Banking job.
- Vice President
- Managing Director
Part 13 – Investment Banking – Front Office vs Back Office vs Middle Office
In this part 13 on Investment Banking, we discuss the following –
- What is a front office in Investment Bank
- What is a back office in Investment Bank
- What is a Middle office in Investment Bank
- Front office vs Middle Office vs Back Office
Part 14 – What is Investment Banking – Conclusion
Investment Banking Tutorials
Additional Resources on Investment Banking that you can use to enhance your investment banking knowledge –
- Free Investment Banking Courses – This free Investment Banking courses is a must for someone who is new to Investment Banking. This free course starts from Excel, then move to teaching Accounting concepts, Valuations concepts and finally, Financial Modeling concepts. Try and make the most from this Free Investment Banking course.
- Sell Side vs Buy Side – This article provides you with frequently asked difference between sell side vs Buy side in Investment Banking
- Investment Banking Questions & Answers – This article details the frequently asked interview questions on Investment Banking. As a fresher, you may find these resources useful.
- Investment Banking Associate Salary – So, what is the salary of an Investment Banking Associate. If you move into investment banking and get promoted to an associate from an analyst position, what is the typical salary that you can expect.
- Guide to Investment Banking Pitch Books – This guide to Investment Banking pitch book provides you with nuts and bolts of preparing a pitch book. Pitch book is nothing but professional presentations prepared by Investment bankers when they communicate with clients.
- Free Investment Banking Courses – This free Investment Banking courses is a must for someone who is new to Investment Banking. This free course starts from Excel, then move to teaching Accounting concepts, Valuations concepts and finally, Financial Modeling. Try and make the most from this Free Investment Banking course.
- Equity Research Guide – This comprehensive guide on equity research provides a bird’s eye view of What equity research is all about, what to expect, skills required to become an equity research analyst and how to prepare an equity research report.
- Financial Modeling Training – This financial modeling training is very detailed case study. In this we take a live case study of Colgate, download its annual reports and prepare a full integrated financial model linking the Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash Flows. This tutorial is step by step guide to learning Financial Modeling where you will find unsolved excel case study and solve Colgate Case Study.
- Investment Banker Lifestyle – In this article, we discuss a typical day as an Investment Banker. What are the work timings, job responsibilities, pressure situations etc.
- Investment Banking Professional Training – If you want to learn Investment Banking professionally, you can also opt for this course. In this course, there are 99 video courses covering range of concepts from Accounting, valuations, financial modeling, pitch book, LBOs, Private Equity etc.
- Also checkout the Top Boutique Investment Banks, Top Bulge Bracket Investment Banks, Top Middle Market Investment Banks
This has been a guide to what is Investment Banking and its domains like Equity Research, Sales & Trading, M&A etc. If you learnt something new or have any comments/questions/suggestions, please drop me a note in the comment section below.