Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Formulas Cheatsheet
- Financial Functions in Excel
- Logical Functions in Excel
- TEXT Functions in Excel
- Lookup Reference in Excel
- Address Function in Excel
- Choose Function in Excel
- Column Function in Excel
- Columns Function in Excel
- REPLACE Function in Excel
- GetPivotData in Excel
- HLOOKUP in Excel
- Hyperlink Excel Function
- INDIRECT Function in Excel
- LOOKUP Excel Function
- Match Excel Function
- VLOOKUP Excel Function
- INDEX Excel Function
- VLOOKUP vs HLOOKUP
- Maths Functions in Excel
- POWER Function in Excel
- EVEN Function in Excel
- ODD Function in Excel
- ABS Function in Excel
- SUM Function in Excel
- SUMPRODUCT Function in Excel
- SUBTOTAL Excel Function
- ROUND in Excel
- AGGREGATE Excel Function
- PRODUCT Excel Function
- RAND Excel Function
- LOG Excel Function
- EXPONENTIAL Excel Function
- SUMIF in Excel
- TAN Excel Function
- CEILING Excel Function
- LN Excel Function
- SIGN Excel Function
- COS Excel Function
- FLOOR Function in Excel
- SIN Excel Function
- Date and Time Function in Excel
- Statistical Function in Excel
Excel RAND Function (Table of Contents)
RAND Function in Excel
RAND function is categories as Math or Trig function in excel returns a random number excel between 0 and 1. RAND in excel will generate a new random number excel each time your excel sheet refreshed.
RAND Formula Excel and Explanation
RAND Formula excel has no parameter just return a random number excel that is greater than or equal to 0 and less than 1.
How to Use RAND in Excel?
RAND function in excel is very simple and easy to use. Let understand the working of Excel RAND function by some examples. RAND function can be used as a worksheet function and as a VBA function.
Excel RAND function as worksheet function.
RAND in Excel Example #1
Let’s consider RAND () function in Excel to calculate the random numbers b/w 0 and 1. Excel RAND Function is used to return the random numbers between 0 and 1 as show in the below table.
RAND in Excel Example #2
As you know RAND function in Excel is used to generate random numbers b/w 0 and 1 only but you can use RAND () in Excel to return random numbers b/w 0 and 100 by using the following RAND formula excel.
Ex. =100*RAND () here RAND in Excel generate random number excel b/w 0 and 1 than output will multiple by 100 gets the numbers b/w 0 and 100. It will generate the random number excel as shown in below the table.
RAND in Excel Example #3
If you want to calculate the random number excel between two numbers you can use the following RAND formula Excel.
=a+ (b-a)*RAND (), here a and b may be any numbers.
RAND formula Excel generates the random number b/w two integers using RAND () function in Excel.
Example – Random number excel between 5 and 10 using RAND () function in Excel =5 + (10 – 5) * RAND ().
RAND in Excel Example #4
If you want to generate the random numbers b/w 5 and 10 you can use the RAND () function in excel =5 + (10 – 5) * RAND () it will give to the random number b/w 5 and 10 then apply INT () function on it to round the output integer to nearest positive integer.
RAND in Excel Example #5
Rand Function in Excel also generates random time you just need to apply the RAND () function in excel and then change the cell format to time only.
Excel RAND Function can be used as a VBA function.
Dim RandomNumber As Integer
RandomNumber = Int ((100 – 50 + 1) * Rnd + 50)
In this example, the variable called RandomNumber would now contain a random number excel between 50 and 100.
Things to Remember About the RAND Function in Excel
- RAND () function in Excel calculates a new value each time the worksheet is calculated. To overcome this problem you just need to convert the generated value to values.
- To stop auto change RAND () function in Excel value you just need to the go-to RAND formula excel bar and the press F9 to convert the RAND formula Excel into its result.
- If we wish to generate a set of random numbers in multiple cells, you just need to select the cells and enter RAND () and then press Ctrl + Enter.
- If you want to calculate the random numbers between two numbers you can use the following RAND formula Excel =a+ (b-a)*RAND ()
You can download this RAND Function in Excel template here – RAND Function Excel Template
This has been a guide to RAND Function in Excel. Here we discuss the RAND Formula excel and how to use RAND Excel function along with excel example and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –