Vlookup is a function which can be used to reference columns from the same sheet or we can use it to refer it from another worksheet or from another workbook, the reference sheet is same as the reference cell but the table array and index number are chosen from a different workbook or different worksheet.
How to Vlookup from Another Sheet / Workbook?
We all know the basics of the VLOOKUP functionBasics Of The VLOOKUP FunctionThe VLOOKUP excel function searches for a particular value and returns a corresponding match based on a unique identifier. A unique identifier is uniquely associated with all the records of the database. For instance, employee ID, student roll number, customer contact number, seller email address, etc., are unique identifiers. in excel. Probably for beginners level, you must have practiced the formula from the same sheet itself. Fetching the data from another worksheet or from another workbook is slightly different using the VLOOKUP function in excel.
Let us have a look at how to use VLOOKUP from another sheet and then how it can be used on another workbook.
Table of contents
#1 – VLOOKUP from Another Sheet but Same Workbook
Now copy the result table to another worksheet in the same workbook.
In the Result, Sheet opens the VLOOKUP formula and select the lookup value as cell A2.
Now the table array is on a different sheet. Select the Data Sheet.
Now, look at the formula in the table array. It does not only contain table reference, but it contains the sheet name as well.
Note: Here, we need not need to type the sheet name manually. As soon as the cell in the other worksheet is selected, it automatically shows you the sheet name along with the cell reference of that sheet.
After selecting the range in the different worksheets, lock the range by typing the F4 key.
Now you need not go back to the actual worksheet where you are applying the formula rather here itself. You can finish the formula. Enter the column reference number and range lookup type.
We got the results from the other worksheet.
VLOOKUP Excel Function Video Explanation
#2 – VLOOKUP from Different Workbook
We have seen how to fetch the data from a different worksheet in the same workbook. Now we will see how to fetch the data from a different workbook.
I have two workbooks; one is Data Workbook & Result Workbook.
From Data Workbook, I am fetching the data to Result Workbook.
Step 1: Open the VLOOKUP function in the Result workbook and select lookup value.
Step 2: Now go to the main data workbook and select the table array.
You can use Ctrl + Tab to switch between all the opened excel workbooks.
The table array not only contains table range rathbut it also, but it also contains Workbook Name, Worksheet Name, and data range in that workbook.
We need to lock the table array here. Excel itself locked the table array automatically.
Mention column index number and range lookup to get the result.
Now close the main workbook and see the formula.
It shows the path of the excel file we are referring to. It shows the complete file and subfile names.
We got the results.
Things to Remember About Excel Vlookup from Another Sheet (Same or Different Workbook)
- We need to lock the table array range if you are fetching the data from the same worksheet or from different worksheets but from the same workbook.
- We need to lock the table array range when the formula is applied to a different workbook. The formula automatically makes it an absolute referenceAbsolute ReferenceAbsolute reference in excel is a type of cell reference in which the cells being referred to do not change, as they did in relative reference. By pressing f4, we can create a formula for absolute referencing..
- Always remove VLOOKUP formulas if you are fetching the data from a different workbook. If you delete the workbook accidentally, you will lose all the data.
You can Download this Vlookup from Another Sheet or Workbook Excel template here – Vlookup from Another Sheet Excel Template.
This has been a guide to the VLOOKUP from Another Sheet or Workbook in Excel. Here we look at how to use VLOOKUP from a different sheet or workbook along with practical examples and downloadable excel templates. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –
- LOOKUP Formula in ExcelLOOKUP Formula In ExcelThe LOOKUP excel function searches a value in a range (single row or single column) and returns a corresponding match from the same position of another range (single row or single column). The corresponding match is a piece of information associated with the value being searched.
- Vlookup AlternativesVlookup AlternativesTo reference data in columns from right to left, we can combine the index and match functions, which is one of the best Excel alternatives to Vlookup.
- VLOOKUP Errors – How to Fix?VLOOKUP Errors - How To Fix?The top four VLOOKUP errors are - #N/A Error, #NAME? Error, #REF! Error, #VALUE! Error.
- IFERROR with VLOOKUPIFERROR With VLOOKUPIFERROR is an error-handling function and Vlookup is a referencing function. They're combined and used so that when Vlookup encounters an error while finding or matching the data, the formula must know what to do. Vlookup function is nested in the iferror function.