Combine Vlookup and Pivot Table in Excel
To use VLOOKUP in a PivotTable is similar to using the VLOOKUP function in any other data range or table:
- First, select the reference cell as the lookup value.
- Next, choose the data in the PivotTable for the table arguments array and then identify the column number with the output.
- Depending on the exact or close match, give the command and execute.
The PivotTable is one of the most powerful functions of Excel. A PivotTable is a table of statistics that helps to summarize and reorganize the data of a wide/broad table. This tool helps shorten the data and helps analyze the data categorize-wise and create a customized group. On the other hand, VLOOKUP is a function used in Excel when you are required to find things/values in data or range by row. This article looks at how to use VLOOKUP within the PivotTable.
Table of contents
VLOOKUP Excel Function – Explained in Video
How to use VLookup in Pivot Table Excel?
Let us follow the below steps.
- Select the data on a worksheet for which you want to match the value from another worksheet. For example, deselect the category from the PivotTable. We will use the VLOOKUP here to get the category of product.
Suppose we want to get the category against each product. So, here we are using the VLOOKUP to get the data from another worksheet.
- The formula in the screenshot below searches for the text “Apple” in column B in the data worksheet.
- Enter the formula.
The formula looks for the value product “Apple,” in cell B5 from another worksheet.
Pivot Table’!C2:D42: We are getting the lookup value from sheet PivotTable against apple.
2,0 indicates that the value we are looking for a product is in column 2, and 0 means to find the exact match against each row.
- Press the “Enter” key to get the result.
- Drag the same formula against each product category.
You will get the category against each product by using the formula VLOOKUP.
Things to Remember
- While creating a PivotTable, ensure there is no blank column or row.
- For the PivotTable, data should be in the right and correct form.
- We must Refresh the pivot tableRefresh The Pivot TableTo refresh pivot tables, you may use the following methods - refresh pivot table by changing data source, refresh pivot table using right click option, auto-refresh pivot table using VBA Code, refresh pivot table when you open the workbook. manually.
- In the PivotTable, always add the unique value in your column fields.
- We must always create a PivotTable in the new worksheet if you are a beginner or new user.
- We must summarize the data as much as possible to get better observation.
- VLOOKUP always searches for the value in the leftmost column of the lookup range.
- VLOOKUP is case insensitive.
- VLOOKUP can summarize or categorize the data in a very easy form.
- Once we use the VLookup formulaVLookup FormulaThe VLOOKUP excel function searches for a particular value and returns a corresponding match based on a unique identifier. A unique identifier is uniquely associated with all the records of the database. For instance, employee ID, student roll number, customer contact number, seller email address, etc., are unique identifiers. , we must not shift the column or row. It leads to a mismatch of your VLOOKUP value.
This article has been a guide to VLOOKUP in PivotTable Excel. Here we discuss using VLOOKUP functionality in a PivotTable along with examples and a downloadable Excel template. You may learn more about Excel from the following articles: –
- VLookup with Two Criteria
- VLookup with MatchVLookup With MatchVlookup formula works only when the table array in the formula does not change. If a new column is inserted or deleted, the formula gives an incorrect result. To avoid this, we use the match function to match the data index and return the actual result.
- VLOOKUP Tutorial
- Slicer in Pivot TableSlicer In Pivot TablePivot Table Slicer is a tool in MS Excel to filter the data present in a pivot table. The data can be presented based on various categories as it offers a way to apply the pivot table filters that dynamically change the view of the pivot table data.