What is Power View for Excel?
Excel Power View is a data visualization technology that helps you to create interactive visuals like graphs, chart, etc. It helps you to analyze data by looking at the visuals you created. Power view can give your excel data a new life and make it more meaningful. This will help you the get insight from data so that you can make a decision based on the data.
How to Enable Power View for Excel?
If you want to use Power view, you need to enable add-in named Power View in Excel. After the add-in is enabled, it will show under the Insert tab in the Menu bar.
Follow the below steps:
- Step 1: Click on File ->Option
- Step 2: Excel Options screen will pop up. Select Add-ins, and you will see Manage dropdown at the bottom of the pop-up. See highlighted below:
- Step 3: Select COM Add-ins from the dropdown, then click on the GO button.
- Step 4: COM Add-ins screen will pop up. Check on Microsoft Power View for Excel and Click OK.
- Step 5: This will add Power View under Insert Tab.
Remember that Power View is only in Excel 2013 and higher versions. If you are using Excel 2016, then you may find Power View is missing even after the add-in is enabled. You need to follow the below steps to enable the Power view.
- Step 1: Click on File -> Option
- Step 2: Excel Options screen will pop up select customized Ribbon in ExcelRibbon In ExcelRibbons in Excel 2016 are designed to help you easily locate the command you want to use. Ribbons are organized into logical groups called Tabs, each of which has its own set of functions..
- Step 3: Under Customize the Main Tab, Extend Insert option, then click on New Group.
- Step 4: Now go to Choose command from shown in the left and select All Commands from the dropdown now select insert a Power View Report. Click on Add, and this will add Power View under your Insert Tab. (When you click on add, make sure New group (Custom) is selected else an error will pop up). Select Ok.
Now you can see the Power View option under Insert Tab in New Group section:
How to Use Power View in Excel? (with an Example)
Once Power View is enabled, you are all set to use it. Follow the below steps to create visuals using the power view.
I have some sales data for a superstore, and if someone asks me to create an interactive dashboard.
Now Organize data in the form of a table.
To create a table, follow the below steps.
- Step 1: Click anywhere within the data. Go to Menu Bar – Insert – Table
- Step 2: When you click on Table, it will automatically select the data range. However, if you need to change the data range, you can put the range under “Where is the data for your table?”. Check “My table has headers” if your data has headers. Note: You can use the ctrl + t shortcut to create the table.
It will look like below.
Now your data is ready for creating the power view in excel.
- Step 1: Click Insert – Select Power view under Insert Tab
- Step 2: This will open a new sheet within the workbook (This may take some time to create Power View sheet. Please wait). Once the window is opened, you will see a table on the left side, filters in the middle, and power view fields on the right side.
You can give any name to the Power View dashboard. You can review the field and select or deselect the field according to the requirement.
You can see a sign ∑ is used before some fields that means this field contains a value that should be used to do the calculation.
How to Create a Power View Dashboard?
Now Let’s start creating a dashboard:
- Step 1: Select Category and Sales value from Power View fields.
- Step 2: Click on Insert – Column chartColumn ChartColumn chart is used to represent data in vertical columns. The height of the column represents the value for the specific data series in a chart, the column chart represents the comparison in the form of column from left to right.. This will look like below.
- Step 3: Click on the dashboard again and now select State and sales amount and then select Bar chartBar ChartBar charts in excel are helpful in the representation of the single data on the horizontal bar, with categories displayed on the Y-axis and values on the X-axis. To create a bar chart, we need at least two independent and dependent variables.. When you hover on the chart, this will show sort by option. You can sort it accordingly.
Now the chart will look like below.
Let us see sales based on segments.
- Step 4: Select Segment and Sales from the field list and then choose the Pie chart under the ‘Other chart’ option. The final chart will look like below.
Let us see what insight can be found from this Dashboard.
- Highest sales received from Category “Technology.”
- The top 3 states where sales were made are California, New York, and Texas. Similarly, you can tell Top 5 or Top 10 or whatever is required based on the data
- Consumer Segments contributing the most with more than half of total sales, Corporate stands at 2nd and Home Office on 3rd.
We can create more dashboards using different Charts and Maps under the design Tab when you select data in the dashboard.
Things to Remember
- Data should be arranged properly in rows or columns, and no Column should be left blank between the data.
- You need to install Microsoft Silverlight before using Power View if that was not installed previously.
- Restart the application after you install Power View Add-in and Silverlight, else this will through error.
This has been a guide to Power View in Excel. Here we discuss how to enable power view in excel and create a dashboard for the same with the help of an example. You can learn more about excel from the following articles –