Grouping Worksheets Together in Excel (Table of Contents)
Group Excel Worksheets
Grouping is one of the useful features of Excel to consolidate the worksheets to work concurrently on the different worksheets. Tasks are accomplished quickly using the group worksheets.
- Changes done in one worksheet will together change in other worksheets in excel. Grouping saves a lot of time to the excel users in performing calculations or creation of complex tables with large data and editing and formatting the sheets.
- It gives the best results to users when the same type of data is presented in the cells of same addresses. Grouping also improves the accuracy of data and eliminates the error made by a human in performing the calculations.
- It is widely used by the business owners and managers to update data in similar worksheets. In the present article, the following things are explained clearly.
Group Worksheets in Excel Examples
For understanding how grouping works together in excel, the following examples are provided and grouping is used mainly in six ways.
Example #1 – Group Individual Worksheets
To group individual worksheets, it needs to press and hold down the CTRL key on the keyboard and simultaneously select the sheets individually by clicking on each tab. After successful completion of grouping, all the tabs presented in the excel workbook are converted into white color and the file name is added with the group in the title bar as shown in the below-mentioned figure.
Example #2 – Ungroup Individual Worksheets in Excel
If you don’t want a group of sheets together in excel, you can ungroup them by again holding the ‘CTRL’ key or clicking in other excel sheets also removes the grouping.
Example #3 – Group All Worksheets
It is easy to group all the worksheets together in excel following only two simple steps.
Step 1: In the first step, select any tab you wished by clicking on it
Step 2: Right-click on the worksheet tab, select the last option ‘select all worksheets’
The below figure helps in understanding clearly the process of the group all worksheets
Example #4 – Ungroup All Worksheets in Excel
Ungrouping worksheets together in excel is easy by using any one of following steps.
Step 1: Right click on the tab and select the ‘ungroup worksheets’ excel option
Step 2: Clicking on any other sheets immediately also ungroup every sheet in the workbook
Example #5 – Group Consecutive Worksheets
To group consecutive worksheets together in excel,
- The user needs to click the first worksheet to activate it
- Then, press and hold the Ctrl button from the keyboard and select the last worksheet tab clicking with the mouse on it.
Example #6 – Ungroup Consecutive Worksheets inExcel
To ungroup consecutive worksheets in excel,
- Right click on the first or last tab of the worksheet that is activated and select the ‘ungroup worksheets’ excel option
- Clicking on any other sheets immediately also ungroup every sheet in the workbook
How to Use Group Worksheets in Excel?
The following sample data as shown in the excel sheet is considered to explain how to group worksheets together in excel.
If we want to obtain the value of total car sales in the months of February, March, and April along with January.
So first we need to group all the sheets first grouping individual sheets or selecting all worksheets at a time.
Then apply the sum formula in the C11 cell of January worksheet.
The value of total sales is automatically calculated in other worksheets along with January month. Results are obtained as shown in the below-mentioned figures.
If we add an average formula in the next row of total sales, the text and formula are automatically applied to other sheets also.
Average sales are automatically calculated in other worksheets along with January month. Results are obtained as shown in the below-mentioned figures.
If we delete a row or column in January worksheet after grouping, same changes are applied to other worksheets also.
For example, in the below screenshot we have deleted the row header in January Worksheet and the same changes are applied to other worksheets in Excel
Things to Remember While Grouping Worksheets Together in Excel
- Tip1: User needs to use only an active tab to add formula and applying format to sheets to best utilization of grouping method. Using another tab won’t generate the required results.
- Tip2: User should confirm whether grouping applied or not by checking the name of the file in the title bar ([Group] is added).
- Tip3: To make a group of worksheets together in excel, at least two sheets should be presented in the workbook
- Tip4: Do not browse through the sheets not included in the group immediately after the grouping of sheets. It leads to ungrouping of the sheets immediately.
This has been a guide to Grouping Worksheets in Excel. Here we discuss how to group worksheets and use them concurrently to save time. Also, we discuss how to ungroup worksheets in excel. You can learn more about