What is Find and Select Tool In Excel?
The Find and Select in Excel tool are useful for finding data as required. Along with the FIND function, the Replace function in excelReplace Function In ExcelThe Replace function is a text function that replaces an old string with a new one. The input required is the old text, new text, and the starting and ending numbers of the characters that need to be replaced. is also handy, which helps find the specific text and replace it with other text(s).
Table of contents
How to use Find and Select in Excel?
Let us follow the below steps:
- First, under the Home tab is the Find Select Excel section.
- Suppose we want to find a credit card from the data given. First, we need to go to the Find section and type credit card.
- When we press Find Next, we get the following result where there is a credit card.
- The find also works with fuzzy logic. For example, suppose we give cre in the find section. It will find the relevant words that contain cre.
- To find the given text in all places of the worksheet, click Find All. As a result, it will highlight the keyword present everywhere in the worksheet.
- We can match cases also within the worksheet to find case search sensitive data. First, we must click on Options, then select the Match case option.
- To find cells containing just the characters typed in the Find what box, we must select the Match entire cell contents checkbox.
- We can also find it through an excel keyboard shortcut. First, we need to press CTRL + F and then the Find Replace tab will appear.
- If we want to replace something, we can use the Replace tab. For example, we want to replace credit with online payment. Then, we must click Replace All.
- As a result, it will replace all the cells containing credit with online payment.
- Then, we must go to Excel’s Go to Special feature.
- This feature can quickly select all that contains formulas, conditional formatting, constant, data validation, etc.
Things to Remember
- Excel saves formatting that is defined. If one searches the worksheet for data again and cannot find the characters, they must clear the formatting options from the previous search.
- In the above case, first, we need to go to the “Find and Replace” dialog box, click the “Find” tab, and click “Options” to display options for formatting. Then, we must click the arrow next to “Format” and click “Clear Find Format.”
- There is no option to replace the value in a cell comment.
This article is a guide to Find and Select in Excel. We discuss using Excel Find and Select tool and an example and downloadable template here. You may also look at these useful functions in Excel: –