Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
Excel Column Remove Duplicates (Table of Content)
- Remove Duplicates From Data Tools
- Using Advanced Filter in Excel
- Use Conditional Formatting in Excel
Remove Duplicates from Column in Excel
Every one of us while working in any data we come across at some point where we have some duplicate data in the sheets. It will be a very tedious task if it was to be removed manually searching each one by one. In Excel, we store data in rows and columns and these data may be duplicate data which we do not need after all. Or these data may alter our reports as they are duplicate and show a different value than the actual one. We remove the duplicate data and filter our reports of it.
There are three different ways to remove duplicates in excel column:
- Using data tools group.
- Using Advanced Filter in Excel.
- conditional formatting in Excel.
We will learn all three methods of excel column removing duplicates by a few examples.
Method #1- Remove Duplicates From Data Tools Group
Suppose we have a data in our sheet as below,
We want to check how many people name are mentioned in column B. For a smaller amount of data we can simply count the number of names which are unique but for a larger amount of data it may take a while to figure out the same. This is where removing duplicates in excel come in handy.
Step 1 – Select the column B, and in the data tab, under the data tools section click on remove duplicates,
Step 2 – A dialog box appears It asks for us if we want to remove duplicates from the current selection or we want to expand our selection. As column A has just one type of data and we need to remove duplicates from column B so we will select Continue with the current selection.
Step 3 – After selecting, Continue with the current selection, click on remove duplicates, another dialog box appears,
Step 4 – It tells us to select the column from which we want to remove duplicates, if we had selected the whole data, it would show all the columns and it is up to us to select the column from which we want to remove duplicates.
Step 5 – As column B is selected, we click on OK and Excel gives us a prompt that the duplicates data has been deleted and only the unique values remain.
We can see that the duplicate data has been deleted from column B and only the unique values remain.
The above method was the first method of removing duplicates.
Method #2 – Using Advanced Filter in Excel
Now we will try to remove duplicate data from the advanced filter tool. Let us consider the same data in sheet 2 and try to delete the duplicate data by using the second method.
The data is the same as below,
Step 1 – Under the same data tab, in the sort and filter section click on Advanced Filters, a dialog box appears
Step 2 – Select Copy to another location.
Step 3 – Now we need to provide the data range to the advanced filter so we will select our data in the sheet.
Step 4 – In the copy to box, we need to give a location where the data needs to copy, for the current scenario we will choose a location in the current sheet. We can choose any other sheet also.
Step 5 – Now select Unique records only as it will filter out the duplicate data and paste only the unique data in the new destination.
Step 6 – When we click on OK we can see that the data has been pasted to the destination however there are no duplicate values.
The above method was the second method of removing duplicates using the advanced filter tool.
Method #3 – Conditional Formatting to Remove Excel Column Duplicates
Now we will use the third option which is the conditional formatting method.
Consider the following data for the example,
Step 1 – Select the data in the sheet.
Step 2 – Now in the Home Tab under the Styles section click on Conditional Formatting,
Step 3 – A dialog box appears, In the highlight cells rules, click on duplicate values,
Step 4 – Another dialog box pops up, and excel automatically highlights the values which are duplicates.
Step 5 – Click on OK. Now we can see how much our data is duplicate, there are Four data which is duplicate.
We can now remove the duplicate data.
Things to Remember about Excel Column Remove Duplicates
- Using Removing Duplicates in Data tools option keeps the first value and remove the other duplicates.
- Same is with the second method it also removes the duplicate data and the first one is considered as unique.
- Conditional Formatting method helps to see how many data are duplicates.
This has been a guide to Excel column Remove Duplicates. Here we discuss how to remove duplicates in excel column Methods 1) Remove Duplicate from data Tool and 2) Advanced Filter 3) Conditional Formatting along with excel example and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful excel tools –