Full Form of IFC – International Finance Corporation
The full form of IFC is the International Finance Corporation. International Finance Corporation can be defined as a global financial institution that solely focuses upon the development of the private sector in the developing economies by offering the same with necessary services pertaining to the advisory, investment, and asset management and it aims at creating better livelihood and such other opportunities for people so that they can deal with poverty and have a better standard of living.
International Finance Corporation was established in the year 1956. International Finance Corporation was established as a private affiliate of the WB or World Bank. IFC has its headquarters in Washington, D.C., U.S. IFC was established for the purpose of infusing and advancing economic development and encouraging the growth of the private industry in the developing economies by strictly making an investment in commercial and profitable projects and simultaneously curbing poverty in the same.
Purpose of IFC
The purpose of International Finance Corporation are:
- IFC in association with the private sector investors aims to fund the foundation, improvement, growth, and expansion of the private sector industries and simultaneously pave ways for the development of its member nations.
- IFC seeks to attract more and more investment opportunities, national and international private capital, as well as experienced management.
- IFC even seeks to stimulate and create favorable conditions for the smooth flow of national and international private capital into meaningful and productive investments in member nations.
The objectives of International Finance Corporation are:
- IFC boosts the flow of private capital (both national and international).
- IFC even encourages the development of private capital markets in developing and under-developed economies.
- International Finance Corporation(IFC) even encourages the private industry in developing economies through financing the private sector projects, offering guidance as well as technical assistance to the industries and the government, and assisting the companies of the developing economies in mobilizing their finances in the global financial markets.
- IFC also tends to act as a clearinghouse by bringing in together private capital, experienced management, and investment opportunities.
- IFC actively invests in productive private industries in association with the investors from the private sector and thereby, focuses on such areas where required private capital is not flowing in due to some genuine reasons.
The five strategies of International Finance Corporation are:
- The first strategy is to strengthen its focus upon frontier markets (both IDA countries and non-IDA economies), and FCS or Fragile and conflict situations.
- The second strategy is to address concerns like climate change, social and environmental sustainability, etc.
- The third strategy is to encourage the growth of the private sector that includes the food supply chain, health, education, and water.
- The fourth strategy is to encourage the development of the local and national financial markets with the help of institution building, use and mobilization of more and more innovative financial products, and providing more focus on MSMEs or micro, small and medium enterprises.
- The fifth and last strategy is to build and maintain long term relationships with the clients in developing economies by taking full use of its products and services and stimulating trans-boundary growth.
How does it Work?
International Finance Corporation(IFC) takes only a few investment proposals into consideration. These investment proposals are solely selected on the basis of their focus upon the establishment, improvement, and growth of productive privately held companies that will ultimately bring development for an under-performing economy. Agricultural, financial, industrial, and other commercial industries are eligible for International Finance Corporation funding if only their operations are found productive in character.
IFC is authorized to make funding as and however, it may deem fit, excluding the investment in capital stocks and equity shares. IFC does not really have a uniform interest rate policy pertaining to its investment function. In an IFC, the interest rates are to be negotiated for each and every case on the basis of few relevant factors that include the level and types of risks involved, the right to participate in profits, and so on. International Finance Corporation makes an investment only when the enterprises are found to have relevant experience as well as competent management.
Example of IFC
Pakistan ranks number four globally when it comes to the production of milk. Instead of such huge milk production, the demand for milk has always outweighed the supply of the same. Poor infrastructure, conventional and ineffective processes are majorly why the country’s dairy industry has been struggling to balance out the demand and supply of milk. Almost 80 percent of the country’s milk is produced by its small scale dairy farmers. On account of an inefficient supply chain, the country’s overall milk industry has become inefficient.
International Finance Corporation contributed nearly $145 million to a Dutch co-operative Friesland Campina in order to acquire a 51 percent stake in Engro Foods which happens to be Pakistan’s leading milk processing company. Engro Foods was now able to receive the benefits of this association and received raw-materials from Friesland Campina. This enhanced the productivity and efficiency of the small scale farmers of the country and reduced their wastes. This acquisition and association were expected to benefit 270,000 distributors and 200,000 farmers and create 1000 new job vacancies in the dairy industry of Pakistan.
International Finance Corporation offers investment, advisory as well as asset management services that further comprises of loans, trade and supply chain finance, equity, blended finance, treasury client solutions, syndicated loans, client risk management services, structures as well as securitized finance, liquidity management, treasury services, venture capital, etc.
International Finance Corporation offers various services in investment, advisory, and asset management too. IFC is an international financial institution that aims at the growth and development of private industries in developing nations. IFC aims at creating better livelihood opportunities for people so that they are able to rise above poverty and enjoy a better standard of living.
This has been a guide to the Full Form of IFC and its definition. Here we discuss how does IFC works, its strategies, objectives, purpose along an example, and services. You may refer to the following articles to learn more about finance –