AutoFit in excel is designed to automatically resize cells in a worksheet to accommodate different sized data without having to manually change the column width and row height. Autofit function helps us to arrange the data/value in a particular order, automatic action on alignment, fix the lengthiest string/alphanumeric values into a resized column/Row automatically.
Top 5 Methods to Autofit in Excel
- Autofit using Double Click on Mouse
- Autofit using Select and Drop Option
- AutoFit using Menu with Few Tabs
- Autofit using AutoFit Row Height Button
- AutoFit Using WRAP TEXT Button
Let us now discuss the method in detail with an example
Method #1 – AutoFit by Double Click on Mouse
Double-click the line in-between a cell in all versions of Excel to AutoFit cells without having to go through a menu.
- The below screenshot shows the worksheet of “A” Column with some of the addresses, but it’s limited with the cell size.
- In the MS Excel worksheet, just move the Mouse point in the mid of the A & B cell line, as mentioned below.
- After that, we have to click twice using a mouse pointer on the mid of the A & B cell line.
Now you can see the visibility of the entire value of the cell mentioned in the A Column that automatically fits the value of a cell.
Method #2 – AutoFit using Select and Drag Option
This feature is the same as Autofit cell size using Mouse point just with the selection and dragging to make the cells automatically fit the value base size.
Select the Row/Column, which you want to Autofit cells in all versions of Excel to AutoFit cells without going through a menu.
4.9 (1,353 ratings) 35+ Courses | 120+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
We will see this feature of Autofit. In the below illustration, here we could able find the “A” Column of SOLD BY is having names but not showing the complete names. So here will go for Autofit adjustments.
- Select the line of “A” (I.e., SOLD BY)column in the worksheet, as mentioned in the below screenshot.
- After that, Drag the Mouse point on the worksheet with the desired length of a cell value, as mentioned in the below screenshot.
Method #3 – AutoFit Using Menu with Few Tabs
This feature is the same as Autofit, but the usage begins with Menu/buttons, either mouse selection or shortcut keys as you like it, we could use it further.
Here we go with very smaller steps.
- Select the rows/column which you want to AutoFit (if need to AutoFit all rows and columns, click the top left box to select everything, or You can highlight multiple rows/columns by holding Ctrl key and selecting each row/column).
- Go to Home Menu and select the Excel Format button, as mentioned in the below screenshot.
- After that, select AutoFit Column width to complete the Autofit action on desired cells.
- After that, Click/select on the AutoFit Column width button, the selected cell of A Column will automatically extend the size of a cell.
Method #4 – Autofit Using AutoFit Row Height Button
- In a worksheet, we just selected one of the cells which are having two lines in the same cells. This cell is having the values of “BANNERGHATTA DOMLUR” but showing only BANNERGHATTA.
- After selecting cells, go to Home Menu and select the Format button, as mentioned in the below screenshot.
- After that, select AutoFit Excel Row height to complete the Autofit action on desired cells.
- After that, Click/select on the AutoFit Row height button; the selected cell of A Column will automatically extend the size of a cell.
Tips: The same can be performed with the use of the Wrap Text button.
Method #5 – AutoFit Using WRAP TEXT Button
Whenever we want to adjust/align the row height or text wrap in a cell, should click “wrap text,” or else the height of a cell will be the height of the font of your text and If you have multiple rows or columns, are highlighted whenever adjusting the width or height manually all other highlighted rows and columns will change with their width/ height to the same value or content.
Some of the text is entered in Column B, but the cell size is limited as the regular size of a cell, Here we will do a wrap of text, i.e., extend the words of a cell in the same cell with the same size of Column and extending it through Row Size.
Using the Wrap Text Button in excel, we can make the visibility of cell value (Text /Alphanumeric/numbers) by multiple lines in the same cells.
Tips: For the next level of a higher range of working in Autofit can be done using VBA Coding, where without a selection of any cells, and this can be done for the entire worksheet.
The below codes can be used with just copy-paste in the VB coding sheet.
Dim wrksht As Worksheet
For Each wrksht In Worksheets
This has been a guide to AutoFit in Excel. Here we discuss how to AutoFit in Excel using the top 5 methods, including Drag, Select & Drag, and also using Double click along with practical examples and a downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –