Revenue Accounts Definition
Revenue Accounts are those accounts that report income of the business and therefore have credit balances. Examples include Revenue from Sales, Revenue from Rental incomes, Revenue from Interest income, etc.
Types of Revenue Accounts
There are various Operating & Non-Operating accounts such as:-
- Sales Account
- Interest Income Account
- Rent Income Account
- Dividend Income Account
- Professional Income Account
Now let us discuss these accounts in details:-
#1 – Sales Account
Under this account, the Income from main activities known as Operating Activities, is recorded. The various ratios such as Turnover ratioTurnover RatioTurnover Ratios are the efficiency ratios that measure how a business optimally utilizes its assets to generate sales from them. You can determine its formula as per the Turnover type, i.e., Inventory Turnover, Receivables Turnover, Capital Employed Turnover, Working Capital Turnover, Asset Turnover, & Accounts Payable Turnover. , Gross profit ratioGross Profit RatioThe gross profit ratio evaluates the proportion of the direct profit a company generates from its net sales. Here, the gross profit is the returns acquired after considering the cost of goods sold, trade discounts and sales returns for deduction from the total revenue., Net profit ratio is calculated, taking the figure of this account as the base amount for all the ratio calculations of any entity.
#2 – Rental Income Account
If a company is having the main object of its business as renting activities, then this rental income account would be called as Operating Income Account/ Sales account. But if renting is not the primary activity of the business, then it would fall under the Non-Operating Revenue Accounts. Under this account, all the debits and credits are made only relating to income from rental activities.
#3 – Interest Income Account
Under this account, the Revenue earned by the entities from interest is recorded, such as Interest on Fixed Deposits, Interest on Income Tax Refund. Interest on Capital. These incomes are earned from the saving activities performed or undertaken by the entities during the year.
#4 – Dividend Income Account
This is another Non-Operating Revenue account, under which income earned from dividendsDividendsDividend is that portion of profit which is distributed to the shareholders of the company as the reward for their investment in the company and its distribution amount is decided by the board of the company and thereafter approved by the shareholders of the company. are recorded. These are generally incomes earned on Investments in Indian Companies or Foreign Companies by the entities.
#5 – Professional Income Account
Under this, the Income from professional activities such as Commission Income, Service Fees for Services provided, are recorded. This is also the Income from the main operations of the entity and is recorded under this head, therefore known as Operating RevenueOperating RevenueOperating revenue is defined as revenue earned by an individual, corporation, or organization from the core activities that they undertake on a regular basis. There are several methods to earn revenue, but operational revenue is earned by the core business activities that the organization undertakes in its daily operations. Account.
Examples of Revenue Accounts
Amit owns a shop that deals in trading of goods. He also has income from Fixed Deposits made by him in the banks. He also provides service of repairing for a few of the goods he deals in. The income of Amit from various activities he is involved are Turnover from the trading activity of $ 450,000/-; Interest IncomeInterest IncomeInterest Income is the amount of revenue generated by interest-yielding investments like certificates of deposit, savings accounts, or other investments & it is reported in the Company’s income statement. of $ 8,000/-; Service Receipts of $ 150,000/-.
Prepare Revenue Account for the above question and draft a Profit & Loss Account to show these entries.
Following are the Revenue Accounts of Amit:
XYZ Inc. is a US Company. It has earned Revenues in FY 2018-19 from various sources which are as follows:
- Income from Sale of Television Sets $ 490,000
- Income from Sale of Music Systems $ 384,000
- Income from Sale of Mobile Phones $ 1,598,000
- Income from Interest on Fixed Deposits $ 64,000
- Income from Service of Repairs $ 506,000
- Income from Income-Tax Refunds $ 45,550
- Income from Sale of Old Furniture $ 850
- Income from Sale of Capital Assets $ 757,000
- Income from Sale of Investments $ 315,650
- Income from Dividend $ 167,850
You are required to prepare Revenue Accounts for all of the above Incomes earned by XYZ Inc.
Following are the revenue accounts of XYZ Inc.:
There are various points which are to be kept in mind to pass entries in a Revenue Account. The main points are discussed below:-
- It is the income earned by a business from Operating & Non-Operating Activities.
- It is also termed as Sales, Turnover, and Receipts, etc.
- Revenue is the income received from a business in cash or cash equivalent.
- They are General LedgerGeneral LedgerA general ledger is a book of accounts that records the everyday business transactions in separate ledger accounts. The entries made in a ledger can be verified by getting a NIL balance on summing up all the ledger account amounts in the trial balance.A general ledger is a book of accounts that records the everyday business transactions in separate ledger accounts. The entries made in a ledger can be verified by getting a NIL balance on summing up all the ledger account amounts in the trial balance.A general ledger is a book of accounts that records the everyday business transactions in separate ledger accounts. The entries made in a ledger can be verified by getting a NIL balance on summing up all the ledger account amounts in the trial balance. accounts that are prepared periodically for any business.
- Revenue accounts names describe the type of revenue. There are many accounts out of which few important are explained above.
- Donations, Voluntary Contribution, is also part of these accounts, which mainly exists in Non-profit organizations.
This article has been a guide to Revenue Accounts and its definition. Here we discuss types of revenue accounts with detailed explanations along with its examples and importance. You can learn more about accounting from the following articles –