Area chart in excel is basically a line chart where the data of various series are separated line and are present in different colors, area chart is used to show the impact and changes in various data series over time, there is no inbuilt chart for area chart in excel instead we make this chart using the line chart.
Area Chart in Excel
Selecting charts to show the graphical representations is too difficult if there are lots of choices. It is very much important to choose the correct chart type so that the results would be achieved or the aim would be achieved. It requires lots of experience and effort to select the right chart.
An Area is the chart like a Line chart which has one difference, the area which is below the line is filled with color, which makes it different. An area chart in excel is used to showcase the data, which depicts the Time-series relationship.
Uses of Area Chart
- It is useful when we have different time-series data, and we have to showcase the relation of each set to the whole data.
- There are two axis, X and Y, where information gets plotted in an Area Chart. It is primarily used when the trend needs to be shown with the magnitude rather than individual data values.
- The series which have fewer values are generally getting hide behind the series, which have high values. This chart in excel is of 3 types in both 2-D and 3-D format, which are Area, Stacked Chart, 100% Stacked Chart. If we are using to display the series of different data, 3-D is advisable.
How to Create Area Chart in Excel?
The Area Chart is very simple and easy to use. Let understand the working of Excel Area Chart with some examples.
- Select the whole data or range, for which we have to create the chart :
- Then, go to the Insert tab and select on Area Chart like below:
- We have to select one of the graphs, which is shown in the drop-down list after clicking above, refer below image:
- The excel chart will get populated like below:
So, these are the necessary steps that we have to follow to create Area Chart in Excel.
Example #2 – Stacked Area
It is the same as the above one; just we have to click on the 2-D Stacked area like below:
4.9 (1,353 ratings) 35+ Courses | 120+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
The above selection creates the below chart:
Here we can see the relation between the data and year, which is of time relationship. The overall trend of the Games concerning the year.
Example #3 – 100% Stacked Area
There is the only difference is that all the values show 100% on Y-Axis like below:
It helps in establishing a better representation of Product lines.
The only change in the creating 100% Stacked Area is to select the last one option in 2-D or 3-D like below:
Below is the result:
We can analyze the trends of changes in Product Bulb and Fan consumption over the number of years.
Hence, we have seen the above example of the three types of Area Chart in Excel, which helps us understand more clearly.
It does not show the value-wise in the representation. It shows the trends.
Variants of the Excel Area Chart
This chart can be shown in two ways:
- Data Plots which overlaps each other
- Data Plots which stacked on top of each other
- Comparison of the trend: After looking Area Chart in Excel, it gives us a clear understanding of the trend followed by each product.
- Comparison between small no. of the category: The Stacked Area is easier to understand than the overlapped. Though it surely takes more effort in reading than it took for a chart which has two categories.
- Comparison between Trends and not the values: The overlapped data is also readable and helpful by giving the colors and the appropriate values.
- Understanding: To deduce the values or data of the plot, it should be read with respect to the previous plot from which we have to make a comparison. Everyone is not used to it.
- Difficult to analyze: Sometimes, it is challenging to read the data and analyze to achieve the desired results.
Points to Remember
- The user must have the basic knowledge of the chart to understand the area chart.
- The data should be compared with each other in relation to time.
- Basic understanding of the analyzing chart.
Area Chart in Excel Video
This has been a guide to Area Chart in Excel. Here we discuss its uses and how to create Area Chart in Excel along with excel example and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –