What is a Tally Chart in Excel?
MS Excel has many pre-installed charts. All these charts speak a lot about the data in an eye-catching manner; a tally chart is one of the features. This chart is one of the techniques for collecting valuable data through tally marks from the data set. Tally marks are numbers, occurrences, or total frequencies measured for a category from the grouped observations. Unfortunately, there is no such chart type called “tally chart” in Excel, but there are a few ways to draw it.
It reflects quantitative and qualitative information from the tally information in a visually appealing manner. The best way to create a tally chart is using a column chart in excelColumn Chart In ExcelColumn chart is used to represent data in vertical columns. The height of the column represents the value for the specific data series in a chart, the column chart represents the comparison in the form of column from left to right.. We can convert tabular data into a tally chart with the help of a column chart where tally information is converted to columns in which each row has a distinct record.
Table of contents
- These are used to collect data faster and in a well-organized manner. Any number can be shown visually and is faster than writing in words or numbers. The numbers represent frequencies or occurrences from each category, which are then displayed as tally marks. Tally marks are defined in the unary number system.
- They are written in a group of five lines. It can be plotted in Excel and simpler and constructive in MS Word. The chart has two types of marks: 5 marks and 1 mark. 5 marks are represented in 4 vertical lines, with 1 line diagonally on the 4 lines. 1 mark represents the remainder of the number, which is stacked and scaled with the unit as 1.
Below are the tally chart representation of numbers from 1 to 7 to make it more clear:
- | = 1
- || = 2
- ||| = 3
- |||| = 4
- |||| = 5
- |||| | = 6
- |||| || = 7
Similarly, we can represent any number in this.
How to Create a Tally Chart in Excel? (Examples)
Let us see how to create a tally chart from tabular data with examples.
- For creating a tally chart, we need tabular data. We have the data for the same.
The table above has sports as a category that has the count in the next column. The count represents the number of times the game has been played. We need a tally chart for the same.
- Now, we need to find 5 marks and 1 mark for the count. There are two formulas for the same: First, one can be seen below.
- Here, B2 is the cell of the count, and 5 is the divisor. The result can be seen below.
- Similarly, we can find the 5 marks for all the count values or drag the cursor until the last cell to automatically get the result.
- 1 mark can be calculated with the formula, as shown below.
- The result is 2, as shown below.
- Similarly, we can calculate the rest of the counts.
- It requires a column chart first. So, we will select the 5 marks and 1 mark columns to plot a column chart. A column chart can be created by going to Insert > Column Chart > 2-D Chart > Stacked chart in excelStacked Chart In ExcelIn stacked charts data series are stacked over one another for a particular axes, in stacked column chart the series are stacked vertically while in bar the series are stacked horizontally., as shown below.
- Now, the column chart is ready. The blue color in the chart shows 5 marks, and the orange color shows 1 mark. The chart is horizontal in shape, as shown below.
- Now, we can select the Y-axis, go to Format Axis > Axis Options, and select “Categories in reverse order,” as shown below.
The chart is now reversed with counts in descending order.
- In the next step, we will have to click on the data points and then change the gap width to 0%, as shown below.
- Now, we can delete all the axis titles and numbers from the graph to clarify the chart. Next, we will resize the chart and paste it close to the table, as shown below.
- Each category count can be seen in the column chart above. The next step is to create a tally chart in Excel. We will manually enter numbers from 1 to 6 and draw vertical lines below the numbers. For example, a diagonal line can show 5 marks on the 4 vertical lines, and 1 mark can be seen as a single vertical line.
- Now, we can copy the 5 marks and paste them on the right of the first bar of the column chart and 1 mark just below it for convenience.
- Next, we must copy the 5 marks and click on the column chart. And select the options from the “Format Data Series.”
- After clicking “Picture or texture fill” and “Clipboard,” tally marks can be seen. For example, when we set the stack and scale unit to 5, the 5 marks tally chart can finally be drawn, as shown below.
- Similarly, we can draw the 1 mark tally chart with scale and stack unit being set as 1. Now, this is fully constructed.
In the tally chart, 27 is represented as four 5 marks and one 1 mark. All the counts are shown as a tally chart at a time. All the tally information is converted into a tally chart.
Things to Remember
- Tally information must be calculated using the two formulas before creating a column chart.
- A column chart is drawn from the table’s 5 marks and 1 mark values.
- It relies on the column chart. Without a column chart, we cannot draw a tally chart.
- Knowledge of the tally chart is before constructing it in excel.
- It makes the data clear and easier to understand from a layman’s point of view. Even students use this at school in Mathematics.
This article has been a guide to Tally Chart in Excel. Here, we learn how to create a tally chart in Excel, examples, and a downloadable Excel template. You may learn more about Excel from the following articles:-